Dell R440 for $402 /w free shipping.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I dont need it, but i bought one anyway and picked up two xeon gold 6132 to go along with it. Thanks STH! lol

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
well, this was too good to be true I guess. I just got a message that the seller is canceling everyone's order. Call me a pessimest but I seriously doubt when sellers do this. Most likely they realized they could get more money for it.

"
Thanks for your order.
Unfortunately all R440 we have test failed.
I apologize it, we have to cancel and refund for you.
Again, we are so sorry about it.
"

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
well, this was too good to be true I guess. I just got a message that the seller is canceling everyone's order. Call me a pessimest but I seriously doubt when sellers do this. Most likely they realized they could get more money for it.

"
Thanks for your order.
Unfortunately all R440 we have test failed.
I apologize it, we have to cancel and refund for you.
Again, we are so sorry about it.
"
They are a pretty huge company sure that there must have been some type of issue. I do get when some companies do this however. They have been great for us over the years. What bugs me most about them is their best offer then they don't really do anything. We bought a few scalable CPU's from them and saved I think $3 when buying 4 of them. It was like why bother having it. lol

Joshh

Feb 28, 2017
Wow... that was an interesting turn of events.... IIRC they have sold other units this low. I am pretty sure we had 440's on here in the $400 range before. Have a hard time believing they have a bunch of dead 440s... I never wanted the 3.5 units though.

Edit ** I Should add that I have had nothing but great service from that seller.

Last edited:

hifijames

Dec 26, 2017
I am almost sure that it's not the seller, but the R440. For whatever reason this particular model has very high failure rate. One of our clients had 4 R440 failed within 14 months time period, for various reasons. And it was 4 out of 4.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
I am almost sure that it's not the seller, but the R440. For whatever reason this particular model has very high failure rate. One of our clients had 4 R440 failed within 14 months time period, for various reasons. And it was 4 out of 4.
very interesting. maybe this works out for the best for me anyway. considering I already have two xeon gold 6132 on order from an ebay seller with no returns, after the seller canceled by r440 order I decided to pick up a 'Supermicro 1U 12 Bay LFF Dual LGA 3647 Skylake Storage Server SSG-6019P-ACR12L' server instead. All of my other servers are supermicros anyway, though they are all X10's with xeon 26xx v3/v4's. The Dell would have been an odd one out of the bunch. The SSG-6019P-ACR12L' has an X11 board, so that'll be a first for me. I don't need any more storage, but just looking at the motherboard prices alone for X11 it's pretty much almost as much as the storage server. Might as well get the whole shebang, and it was the cheapest one I could find. It's more than I wanted to spend (unixsurpluscom on ebay selling them for $725), but there's some very specific tests that I wanted to run on the xeon scalable architecture anyway using a Solarflare X2542 nic I picked up a few weeks ago.

Reactions: Jaket

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
very interesting. maybe this works out for the best for me anyway. considering I already have two xeon gold 6132 on order from an ebay seller with no returns, after the seller canceled by r440 order I decided to pick up a 'Supermicro 1U 12 Bay LFF Dual LGA 3647 Skylake Storage Server SSG-6019P-ACR12L' server instead. All of my other servers are supermicros anyway, though they are all X10's with xeon 26xx v3/v4's. The Dell would have been an odd one out of the bunch. The SSG-6019P-ACR12L' has an X11 board, so that'll be a first for me. I don't need any more storage, but just looking at the motherboard prices alone for X11 it's pretty much almost as much as the storage server. Might as well get the whole shebang, and it was the cheapest one I could find. It's more than I wanted to spend (unixsurpluscom on ebay selling them for $725), but there's some very specific tests that I wanted to run on the xeon scalable architecture anyway using a Solarflare X2542 nic I picked up a few weeks ago.
Hopefully you know that big server is weird to fit into a rack if it's at home then great! :)
If it is in a rack putting it low below the PDU's is needed.

yobigd20

Jul 8, 2016
Hopefully you know that big server is weird to fit into a rack if it's at home then great! :)
If it is in a rack putting it low below the PDU's is needed.
Yea no worries these are the same long length as my 72 disk supermicro chassis's and ddn storage scalers too. They are all 38" deep i think. I think i have more chassis that are 38" than i do smaller ones lol

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
My apologies on this transaction- I wish it had worked out. I've never had an issue with this seller other than the fact that they banned me from making offers to them haha.

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
For what it is worth, my experience with this seller has always been good and I've never heard of them canceling orders without good reason.
I've bought CPUs and a pair of servers from them.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Yeah, esiso is totally legit. Bought lots of stuff from them. They know what they're doing and ship items in good condition and packaged well. Never had an issue with them cancelling orders, either.

Only problem with esiso is that they give you only 1-2% off on offers if you're lucky ;-)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Bought a couple of 32GB DDR4 ECC DIMM's from esiso. One of them was bad. They replaced it and even shipped the replacement the same day I shipped the bad one back. No idea what they do with bad DIMM's.

Glock24

May 13, 2019
Bought a couple of 32GB DDR4 ECC DIMM's from esiso. One of them was bad. They replaced it and even shipped the replacement the same day I shipped the bad one back. No idea what they do with bad DIMM's.
I've bought from them also, so far so good.

Maybe they just ask for the bad items back so people don't make false claims about DOA items.

jlficken

Apr 3, 2019
They are a pretty huge company sure that there must have been some type of issue. I do get when some companies do this however. They have been great for us over the years. What bugs me most about them is their best offer then they don't really do anything. We bought a few scalable CPU's from them and saved I think $3 when buying 4 of them. It was like why bother having it. lol
That same seller did the same thing to me on a different deal within the last couple of months.

The fact that they relisted these servers for $1146 tells me all I need to know about them as a company.

They’re sketchy and I won’t buy from them now.

Jaket

Jan 4, 2017
Seattle, New York
purevoltage.com
That same seller did the same thing to me on a different deal within the last couple of months.

The fact that they relisted these servers for $1146 tells me all I need to know about them as a company.

They’re sketchy and I won’t buy from them now.
Yeah sometimes that is a piss off we have had a few companies over the years we put in an offer not crazy below and they decline it then listing price is jacked up a bunch.