Dell r420 / Websense v10000 G3

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

davidv

Aug 2, 2022
Hey Guys, I just received a Dell r420 off eBay today and was a bit surprised to see it badged as a Websense v10000 G3.

A quick Google verified that it is actually an r420 under the hood, but there's still not a whole lot of info floating around about it.
One Reddit post I found suggested that it's just running the standard Dell BIOS, which is great as it seems others need to have the BIOS re-flashed.

What's confusing me a bit is the all the weirdly labelled network ports on the back, and I'm unsure what I can plug into to access it. They're all labelled weirdly like C, N, P1, P2, E1, E2.

One of the few things I can find about it is this quick start guide:

I haven't hooked up a KVM to it yet though. So I suspect I'll need to do that to make any sense of it at all. Was kind of hoping I could hook directly into the iDrac, but TBH I've never used iDrac before and I was assuming I'd just plug in and at least see it pop up as a client on my router. It doesn't seem to be getting allocated an IP, so maybe it's disabled?

Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm planning on running TrueNAS on it, and the reason I selected r420 is that the cupboard where I'm mounting is max 630mm from the rack front rail to rear wall.

davidv

Aug 2, 2022
... and of course I just realised that I don't have any VGA cables and even if I did, the only display I have that accepts VGA is an old projector.