Dell R210II - $229.99 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Thanks, time to ditch my Raspberry Pis and consolidate into something cleaner. Now on to source a cheap iDRAC card.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Wow mine came with iDRAC exp+ent even though the ad stated none and the pictures showed none. Other than a bit of dusting, so far so good. The fan bearings have a little bit of that high-pitched wear noise but can't beat the price. Now I've got a couple spare iDRAC6 sets kicking around.

klammore

Jun 17, 2016
Yup all mine came with idrac6 enterprise, they even sent me the inside rails(which are useless by themselves). Luckily the rails are still like $33 via dell.

Yarik Dot

Apr 13, 2015
Yup all mine came with idrac6 enterprise, they even sent me the inside rails(which are useless by themselves). Luckily the rails are still like $33 via dell.
Lol. F*ck off Dell. I paid 130USD for Dell N3048 rails. I suppose they are the same.

They quoted me 65USD at first time, so I agreed as it is usual supermicro price for rails. When parcel arrived, there was only 1 inside. After checking the original quote, there really was only one rail.

Draknor

Dec 15, 2015
Ugh, this is why I need to stop browsing STH... 32 GB of RAM *and* a v2 CPU? Gotta get it!

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I love these little boxes, one of the best small servers Dell has ever produced IMO. I must have rolled out a hundred of them over the years. Add some virtualisation and a small disk shelf and you have a perfect little branch office setup that is both quiet and power efficient. For the money these are going for, you can't possibly go wrong :)

Reactions: fossxplorer

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
I wasn't able to get in on this deal but I was wondering what idrac6 express model number for the R210ii should I be looking for on ebay?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I wasn't able to get in on this deal but I was wondering what idrac6 express model number for the R210ii should I be looking for on ebay?

These had various part numbers depending on where you got them from. Same card, just a different part number. Here's two of the most common ones:

Y383M or JPMJ3 for Express card
K869T or J675T for Enterprise card

Reactions: Geran

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I'm wondering about the connectivity to a disk shelf. I see one eSATA port on the back though, is this the preferred way of connecting to an external disk shelf?
Also, it'd be nice to have 2 internal 3.5" disks, but the cages/sleds are not cheap, around $30 for both. Terrible prices, IMO!
Mine doesn't have iDrac either, so thanks @pricklypunter , i'll lookup those part numbers to order an enterprise version.

I love these little boxes, one of the best small servers Dell has ever produced IMO. I must have rolled out a hundred of them over the years. Add some virtualisation and a small disk shelf and you have a perfect little branch office setup that is both quiet and power efficient. For the money these are going for, you can't possibly go wrong :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
If you don't have an external port card, you can carefully drill a hole in the backplate of an internal port one with a cone cutter/ step drill, clip the side and open it enough to get a couple of 8087-8088 cables through, then bend it back, feed the cables though the chassis and fit the card in the slot. Of course you will not be able to simply unplug from the server end, but it's workable in a pinch :)

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I'm wondering about the connectivity to a disk shelf. I see one eSATA port on the back though, is this the preferred way of connecting to an external disk shelf?
Also, it'd be nice to have 2 internal 3.5" disks, but the cages/sleds are not cheap, around $30 for both. Terrible prices, IMO!
Mine doesn't have iDrac either, so thanks @pricklypunter , i'll lookup those part numbers to order an enterprise version.
I would get an external SAS2 controller rather than use eSATA. The external SAS2 cards are usually a lot cheaper than their internal counter part. Look up cards like 9201-16e, 9200-8e, Dell H200E, or similar.

Robert Fontaine

Jan 9, 2018
How deep are these little gems? I have not yet committed to full length servers but 3 or 4 of these would make a hell of a little lab.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I made an offer on one to get me a solid PFSense router to ditch my VM based one. I think I can mount this without rails which is fine by me.