Dell PowerEdge R720 not detecting disks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

natharas

Oct 5, 2021
Hi folks, I'm not sure if this is the right place.

I've got a SAS 2tb drive and a few other SATA drives that I want to connect. When I boot up the R720 the light flashes green on the HDD sleds briefly but then nothing further. I've tried reconnecting the cables on the SAS backplane, can also confirm that the drives are aligned with the SAS mount points so will be making contact with the backplane. When I go into the PERC boot via Ctrl+R it sees no drives via any of the menus.

The R720 has the PERC H710 Mini installed.

After some help, the drives also don't appear in the BIOS, can someone confirm what the correct settings should be, also should the light flash green or be solid green ?

natharas

Oct 5, 2021
Unsure, but I did manage to get the 2TB SAS drive detected. What I did was swapped the SASA and SASB cables around and it has detected them, guess it's an issue with the cable. Will need to grab another SAS cable now as the one going to SASA barely makes it without going across the CPU and fans.

I was thinking can I also run the good cable to SASB on the backplane and move the drives to that bank of 4?