Dell PowerEdge R230 1U Server $549

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
In the past I've seen the licenses on ebay for as low as $140. Now everything seems to be $180+
That's why I like the Rx10 generation - they were the last ones to use actual Enterprise upgrade cards (iDRAC 6) and I think the most I ever paid on eBay for a new one was $35, and they're down to under $15 now. Whereas, the license key is going to remain expensive for as long as Dell feels like selling them.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Those rx10 drac cards wouldnt work on the newer gear by chance would they?
Unfortunately, no. The newer boards have the hardware built into the motherboard and features are enabled with software license keys. The Rx10 version doesn't have anything on the motherboard. Higher models in the Rx10 range come with the iDRAC6 Express pre-installed, on the lower models it is an option. iDRAC6 Enterprise can be added which gives you a dedicated LAN port, a SD slot for disc images, and the other Enterprise goodies.

Putting all the functions on every motherboad means fewer things Dell has to customize, but users don't have a choice of where to go for the feature upgrades - it is a Dell software license or nothing at all.

It would be nice if Dell would provide free or discounted licenses for hardware no longer covered by a warranty or support contract, but that seems unlikely. At least we get free firmware updates (unlike HP or IBM).