Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

yourepicfailure

Jul 23, 2019
I too would like to join the ranks of the c8220/C6220 club.

I have here a C6220 9N44V with a single e5-2697V2 and 8gb rdimm as test ram.
Hard drive is some Maxtor 250gb I found lying around.
Built a custom water loop, and the fan controller can be seen with its lcd above the radiator fans. Left the heatsink for cpu socket 2 installed to protect the pins until I install a second processor.

It chugs along with Server 2012R2.

_DSC0418.jpg

_DSC0417.png

Unbenannt.png

Dead simple, strapped 12v to the power connector, jumped the fpconnecter and it started right up.
Going to reinstall the pcie riser so I can put in a low-profile card.

Funny thing, the bios has a setting for NT4 compatibility. I'm thinking about looking for a NT4 Sata driver just to see if I can actually install it.

EDIT: And the addon gpu works flawlessly. It's an old Nvidia 8400GS, but it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomasz and Vit K

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
And I thought about a cluster of 4-6-8 motherboards DCS 6220 II 0083N0 + ASUS Z9PE-D16/2L 6 PCI-E 16x + 4-6-8 intel X540-T2 2x10 GBe LAN.

Malcolm

Aug 9, 2019
Did anyone ever figure out the onboard SATA for these, is there some way to have them work without having to plug in a backplane (or other additional cards) or is it not possible?

v72

May 18, 2019
Привет. У меня есть доска dell с маркировкой CN-0W6W6G.
Вопрос о поддержке для E5 26xx ver. 2 (10-12 ядер) на этой версии платы.
Так будут ли они работать на этой плате при обновлении BIOS до последней версии (какая версия BIOS) или нет?

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
Привет. У меня есть доска dell с маркировкой CN-0W6W6G.
Вопрос о поддержке для E5 26xx ver. 2 (10-12 ядер) на этой версии платы.
Так будут ли они работать на этой плате при обновлении BIOS до последней версии (какая версия BIOS) или нет?
нет.
CN-0W6W6G will not work with "E5 26xx ver. 2".

yourepicfailure

Jul 23, 2019
Two month bump, but a key point here:

Ensure whatever you strap to the pcie lanes has 12v backflow protection. What this means is that some cheaply made accessories allow 12v to flow back through the pcie connector, more common if they have an additional power connection on the card. If it doesn't, you will fry both pcie lanes if you strap it in, even if you used only one lane. I've killed two c6220ii boards with this when I was attempting to plug in HP's mxm gpu carrier board. If you need to use such an accessory, I'd recommend building a special riser cable with protection diodes over the +12v to prevent backflow from the card. Also, avoid riser cables that use a stabilizing capacitor. I've also killed a board with one of those.

Two additional questions, hopefully the veterans can help here:

And source for the 12v molex cable? I'm having trouble finding one.
Also, has anyone found a solution to make the mezzanine "useful" for other peripherals? I think I saw someone try but I can't seem to find the psot.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
I use original risers with additional power supply with two 083N0 Dell C6220 II & 8220x boards. There were never any problems. I use GPU Tesla, GPU GTX 1070 and tire SSD Samsung 860 EVO for swap file. The original risers have all the protection you need. Cheap Chinese risers do not have them.

yourepicfailure

Jul 23, 2019
Dell OEM riser. Conventional GPUs are fine. They have protection. It's just that certain PCIe addons (HP MXM carrier) do not as HP designed the protection in the expansion bay of the WS460.

Before I purchase, just to make sure this:

Is able to go into the mezzanine slot and turn it to a PCIe x16 (limited to x8 bandwidth)? I just need the additional lane for a non-rendering GPU for display acceleration. The main "work" cards are on the x16 lanes.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
The riser on the link above is not for the side mezzanine slot, simply psi-e, but for the slot on the narrow side of the board next to the power connector.
I myself wanted to use the 8x mezzanine slot for raid and an external network card by connecting my device, but I could not find the pin assignment and the necessary connectors for it.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Yeah, mezzanine is kinda mysterious. I read here , or on other 6100 thread, that at least 3 versions of look-same adapter exists, and they are not compatible. My board stoped to boot with mezzanine installed (both sas and sfp) when i did some rough experiments, so I have two adapters with same pn but sadly can't test them. Will try to boot it with 6320 in future.

Reactions: Tha_14

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
I bought tools and made a power supply cable for + 12V risers for the GPU and for the board.

Now it is qualitative.

2 х Xeon E5-2650L V2 10 Core + RAM 128 Gb + MVMe SSD Samsung 960 EVO 250 Gb ( /swap ) + 2 x SATA SSD Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb ( / ) + 4 x Seagate 1 Tb ( /home ) + 2 x Tesla K80 + deep learning???...!!!! Profit! I am SkyNet! :D

Reactions: Vit K

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
The orange button flashes when there is a power problem. Understated or overestimated voltage.
If the blue LED near the USB connector starts to pass by, it means that somewhere in the power supply plus and minus are mixed up, my additional power was mixed up on the board, but she survived it.

Here is a test run with a pair of Tesla K80

jverschoor

Mar 12, 2021
Hi Falanger,

We are also seeking to connect a NVIDIA K80 to a C6220ii, and are following your helpful lead.

Question: I see on your monitor screen that your BIOS shows the option ["edge slot" <enabled>] under "PCI configuration". Was this "edge slot"- option visible already before you connected a GPU card, or did this option only become visible in the BIOS after you connected the GPU card to the edge slot?

If you could please let me know.

Many thanks, JJ

PS. For those interested I share the C6220ii Mobo block diagram, that Dell shared with me some years ago.

Attachments