Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

falanger

Jan 30, 2018

I brought the first board into working view - I installed the radiators of the chipsets that I had previously removed to install on the second server and coolers, so I’m sitting here thinking what to do with it now. In the commentaries announced the vote on its future fate. You can suggest options for future use, friends.

edisionxie

Dec 18, 2018
[QUOTE =“crypton __,post:160676,member:14221”]你好,朋友们,
我已将我的GTX 1060 6GB显卡插入PCI插槽#1,它可以工作!
我的主板型号是DCS7200S,带有BIOS 2.7.1

它仅适用于以下BIOS设置:

嵌入式视频控制器<已启用>

视频枚举<onboard>

没有OPROM和PCIe ASPM设置也没关系。

这是一些图像
[ATTACH = full] 6678 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 6679 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 6680 [/ ATTACH] [ATTACH = full] 6681 [/ ATTACH] [/ QUOTE]
0哥们,你这是啥机箱啊,这个增高卡哪里能买

SoexticTV

Jun 20, 2019
I've just been reading through this long forum thread and am now very interested in doing this project.

I first found this due to i found on eBay a m620 for a cheap cost. Then realised that it would be very hard to make that work out of the sled as theres no plugs on the end of it.

Then i found the c6220/c8220 and ended up finding this thread!

I jut had a few questions regarding this project getting this motherboard to boot.
Correct me if im wrong

1. Purchase C6220/C8220 with 18 pin plug (onboard sata ports) LINK HERE
2. Purchase 24 ATX + 8 pin to 18 pin mini dell LINK HERE
3. Plug in 18 pin mini to motherboard
4. Plug in 24 pin atx psu to 18 pin
5. plug in sata ssd with boot os?

From my understanding that is all to get it to boot correct?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
_1. Purchase C6220/C8220 with 18 pin plug (onboard sata ports) LINK HERE
Yes
_2. Purchase 24 ATX + 8 pin to 18 pin mini dell LINK HERE
Yes.
_3. Plug in 18 pin mini to motherboard
Yes
_4. Plug in 24 pin atx psu to 18 pin
Yes
_5. plug in sata ssd with boot os?
Yes

Step 6
You also need to close 2 pins in the PDB control connector - a small one with a gannum of 2 mm contacts - in order for the board to turn on.
See here for a diagram https://i.imgur.com/iFB5Dd3.jpg
The jumper between the two contacts is required, the rest is not.
Then you need to connect the VGA monitor and USB keyboard and mouse through the hub, then turn on the power on the block with the button and the message should appear - the "memory configuration - done", you have to wait a long time, then the Dell logo will appear, enter the BIOS and adjust the disks.
If the board is turned on - the power button on the board edge is green - there is no image with an inscription - you need to either connect an external video card (if an external video card is installed - there are no messages about memory settings and the screen is millet black for a long time, then only the Dell logo) or reset bios taking out the battery and setting the jumper, it is written about it in the subject earlier. If after that there is no image anywhere, then the board is most likely broken.

IvanO

Sep 16, 2018
РФ
The W6W6G board has a problem with shutting down, I am shutting down, but it does not shut down and everything disappears, waited five minutes and turned off forcibly, then turned it on, but when I booted, Windows issued that the computer was turned off incorrectly

IvanO

Sep 16, 2018
РФ
there is still a problem with the video card, the "Asus RX460 2Gb" does not display an image until the drivers are loaded, if you disable the integrated video card, the windows are not loaded

dingoapp

Jul 17, 2019
Hi there!

Can anyone say DELL C6220 motherboard weight (only motherboard, without memory, CPUs, GPUs, heatsinks and etc)?

Thanks!

Kenning

Aug 20, 2019
Hi everyone. I have been lurking here for about a month and re-reading every post here trying to figure out what is going on. I have a 8220 v1 board that I cannot get a VGA display on. I even thought my original board might be bad so I got a second and the same result. I have verified every pin on the 16-pin micro adapter (yellow wires, obviously the blacks are ground) is getting 12v and all the correct jumper settings seem to be in place. I didn't need a 5v to 12v stepper (but tried one anyway). I am totally baffled at this point as it makes no sense. What am I missing? I even tried the BMC console and it will not render video strangely enough using the java application.

Reactions: Tha_14

Kenning

Aug 20, 2019
1. clear cmos. 2. no-vga signal at first starts (when blinking both of two green diods) - it is not something special issue, don't be afraid, read this forum, all is written twice or may be more times. 3. www access to your motherboard(mobo) probably is ON, check with your home wi-fi/cable router in browser, you will find one-two IP addresses that are not usual for you home net, they all probably about your mobo, check them in browser. This info is totally in this forum, just find it.
Thanks for the help, unfortunately I have done all those steps several times now. I will try again, but I am reaching out because I have read every post here multiple times and still stumped. I have access to the motherboard on my network, which is why I can get to the BMC console.

Malcolm

Aug 9, 2019
After my quanta motherboard failed I decided to (after reading this thread) grab a C6220 motherboard to move all the other parts into.
It is the board with 2 SATA ports toward the center by the ram banks, and not the one with the SATA ports at the edge. (Which I think means its a version I and not II but I'm not entirely sure...)
I have it powered on and everything working great, using a spare SUNIX2600 SATA/RAID card I had lying around...

However the card doesn't really fit nicely and I'd prefer not to use it, I'm thoroughly confused at this point as to what the "correct" information is regarding the onboard SATA for this motherboard.

1) Can the two onboard SATA ports be used without any additional cards (or do they only work with the various other components "midplane", "backplane" or similar plugged in?
2) Same thing for the mini-SAS, if its not possible to have the 2 SATA ports work my next best bet would be to try find a mini-SAS to SATA cable and use that, would that work, or does that also need additional parts plugged in?
3) Does any mini-SAS cable work or is a special (expensive) DELL branded one required?

Malcolm

Aug 9, 2019
Mine was 2.5 kg, according my parcel forwarder. Off course, I think that is too heavy for one small motherboard :)
Mine was 4.1kg, but that includes the metal tray and 2x heatsinks - I'd be surprised if the motherboard alone made up much of that.

fbr079

Sep 30, 2019
Mine was 4.1kg, but that includes the metal tray and 2x heatsinks - I'd be surprised if the motherboard alone made up much of that.
I suppose so, but I have not received my parcel yet and cannot weigh everything myself.

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 11.35.04(2).jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 11.37.38.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 12.01.08.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 12.01.29.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 12.01.48.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 12.02.25.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 12.02.46.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2019-10-12 at 21.21.48.jpeg
How to install:
0. bios settings: PCIE starts without eeprom.
1. operational system must have all drivers and must start the installed device... and after that go to reboot.
2. and only after that... operational system will be able to start PCIE Video card.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tha_14 and Vit K

Swarls88

Nov 4, 2019
I've got two C6220's with 8 nodes that are all working, but I hate how much noise they make. And I'm having a heck of a time trying to sell them so I'm looking into ways on how to re-purpose them vs just chucking them out or letting them sit and fade into darkness.

Is there any benefit to doing a mod like this vs buying one of those cheap Chinese dual LGA 2011 motherboards off of Ali?
Seems to me it's about the same expense with buying a node and all the necessary parts that you need + modding an enclosure vs buying an ATX style motherboard where I could just transfer my CPU's and RAM over to and install it in a nice case.

Any input is appreciated :)

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Is there any benefit to doing a mod like this vs buying one of those cheap Chinese dual LGA 2011 motherboards off of Ali?

Any input is appreciated :)
You can fit 2 or 3 mainboard nodes in single eATX case > 530 mm sharing same power supply. This boards have 16 memory slots and remote management that Chinese board usually lacks. It give you some space saving and allow to install bigger and therefore less noisy fans.

However, this eATX cases are 3-5 times cost of regular (make sure they long enough and flat, for example Thermaltake Core X2 is fine but Thermaltake Commander need cutting and might not fit), you will need better power supply 600-850W bronze, adapters for fans, cables and mod the case with dremel tool to relocate the mounting points. If you want to use video cards - you will need decent quality risers, rare and expensive. Back of the case will be mess. Another puzzle is connecting the hard drives.

In conclusion - if you want some DYI project, go for it, otherwise - drop motherboards on ebay.

PS: third option - replace a stock fans to noctua they are nearly silent. Might be a constant fan error after that change indeed.

Reactions: igoresz

Swarls88

Nov 4, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I'll try doing a diy project with one of the nodes i forgot about IPMI, and I've got a cool case idea floating around in my head. I also ordered a chinese board to compare because it has an m.2 slot and supposedly quad channel memory support with 8 slots which I think will be sufficient with the 16gb modules I've got.

As for the fan speed, they are not stuck on high. I was able to upgrade all firmwares and the BMC. They'll turn on and after boot they'll settle but it's still pretty loud and annoying drone. I might try a few fan mods with one of the chassis, but I feel like if you're going to put multiple nodes in a single eATX case you might as well keep the already compact 2u chassis without all the hacking - if the fan mods work.