Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
Сongratulations!!! Unfortunately, I do not have SATA panel like you. I will experiment with the integrated connectors.
Rare 0CNW04 CNW04 Dell DCS7200S
Only motherboard, without sled and without other DELL things, with mini 18pin adapter for usual pc power supply box (PSU) and only jumper closer for connection.jpg .
RESUME:
Onboard sata disks are shown in bios and do work. without any other tricks.
BIOS (Insyde 01/19/2015)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vit K

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good day. Is there someone as crazy as I, who bought Tesla K20m and connected it to the server board?
If there is, share the setup experience and operating features, especially how to overcome the initialization errors that appear in POST before starting the BIOS when connecting a video card or Tesla card to a "flexible" riser that connects to the power connector. Additional pintanie on its board with a connector pci-e 16x filed, as well as a small additional power connector on the board.

Yakov

May 31, 2018
Hello, comrads. I bought that board on eBay and dilevery boy cracked box. After that CPU2 socket pins be broke. I trying to start that board with only one CPU at CPU1 socket, but switch on button ligthing green light, CPU is hot, but nothing on screen. Can this board works with only one CPU at CPU1 socket? I trying to stard without RAM. Thank

upd. Board v1.0, w6w6g, cpu - 2x E5-2690, power throught C6100 adapet, to start i use 2 pin in slot

Danila

May 29, 2018
Hi, guys! I've face the problem with installing windows 10 on DCS7200S. Installer just stop on the first step of loading from USB. Logo appears, dots under logo starts runing a cycle about 20 seconds, and then black screen appeares and that is all. When I tried to upgrate from windows 7 to 10, the same thing happened. Maybe someone know solution, please help!

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
Hi, guys! I've face the problem with installing windows 10 on DCS7200S. Installer just stop on the first step of loading from USB. Logo appears, dots under logo starts runing a cycle about 20 seconds, and then black screen appeares and that is all. When I tried to upgrate from windows 7 to 10, the same thing happened. Maybe someone know solution, please help!
I had a similar problem. I can install only the orginal windows 10 pro from a USB flash drive. Another could run Windows Server 2016. Various "assemblies" of windows were not installed.

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
In general, I join you)) collected on the base 083N0 with a video card msi 1060 6g armor and then only with embedded graphics included. But I still could not figure out what version of dell it was, I have such network cards: intel x540-at2, and it's like 10Gb. But this is not all oddities when downloading writes that dell c6220 but the BIOS version is 3.2.11 and bmc 3.56 although on the official site for this server the latest version is 2.5.5 for the PowerEdge C6220 version and 2.8.1 for the PowerEdge C6220 II version. What do you think this dell is like? and where for it to find a newer bios if it is?

Attachments

Reactions: Ari P and gb00s

Danila

May 29, 2018
I had a similar problem. I can install only the orginal windows 10 pro from a USB flash drive. Another could run Windows Server 2016. Various "assemblies" of windows were not installed.
I've tried and an original and several assemblies, but still no result. The only thing that helped, I take ssd from dell, connect it to another PC, install win10pro and return ssd back in dell.

Reactions: igoresz

Yakov

May 31, 2018
Cos nobady know about works with 1 CPU, i fixed my board and can say, that it works with only 1 CPU. NVMe ssd does not supperted in bios, but perfectly works, if you use Clover loader. Cooler gammaxx S40 dont cover ram slots.

Attachments

arturmon

Feb 18, 2018
Artur, you joined us, and we are already not alone.))

Regarding NIC (netw card) for c8220 and c6220 as you wrote it and it is really like this:
View attachment 8568

Regarding BIOS... on support dell site you could get the newest one, but as you shown, your board has no any service tags. it's possible to find the similar tag for your board here on this forum or in neighbour forum (probably here). Sometimes it helps to get bios in easiest way from dell service. Or may be try to find here. But please if you want to do the update for bios, so do it in a right way, check forums for it.
View attachment 8569View attachment 8571

Regarding your CREATURE... I'm impressed! Wau!)))
View attachment 8570

thanks for the advice I'll go look for service tags. but something tells me that it was just programmed already and I can not determine the version 8220 or 6220 as it is written in the BIOS.
And also there was a problem after updating windows))) if not connected to the monitor, then the black screen, as soon as I connect the monitor, the video output on the video card comes to life.

Yakov

May 31, 2018
Hello. Any body know, how to recovery bios on this board? I trying to disable integrated vidocard, then connect my R9 390x, but nothing works. How to reset bios to default settings? Im pulled out battery for more than 24 hours, but nothing changes. It may be a bios problem? Please help

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
Hello. Any body know, how to recovery bios on this board? I trying to disable integrated vidocard, then connect my R9 390x, but nothing works. How to reset bios to default settings? Im pulled out battery for more than 24 hours, but nothing changes. It may be a bios problem? Please help
Iakov, it is really important to know how to operate this procedure (reset bios / clear nvram) almost everywhere. In case of C8220 the procedure is not connected to battery, so please do not remove it from case, let it be there, in it's place.)
Check/read some pages of this discussion and/or find the manual for c8220 and/or read below instruction:
1. Turn off the power on connected PSU (power supply unit)
2. Battery (cr2032) should be in the Board
3. Find the jumper (nvrav clear) on your board and lock this jumper.
4. Connect vga port of your board to the monitor.
5. Turn on the power, start the Board... and wait for... 3-5 may be 7-10 minutes. Then you will see the blue picture on your screen... so... press ENTER button.
6. Then again turn off the power on Board/PSU.
7. Let it be free now for closed jumper (nvram clear).
8. turn on... and now your integrated video is ON as default. Later you may TURNOFF the integrated video in BIOS.
9. like it and... be happy ;)
Снимок.JPG
Changes after BIOSreset:
a/ CPU configuartion: sometimes must be turned on: Turbo mode, Virtualization, Hyperthread,... check there some more points.

Drivers for NIC cards (network card):
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1528&SUBSYS_00001028&REV_01 Intel(R) Ethernet Controller X540-AT2
Downloads for Intel® Ethernet Controller X540-AT2

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakov

Yakov

May 31, 2018
Iakov, it is really important to know how to operate this procedure (reset bios / clear nvram) almost everywhere. In case of C8220 the procedure is not connected to battery, so please do not remove it from case, let it be there, in it's place.)
Check/read some pages of this discussion and/or find the manual for c8220 and/or read below instruction:
1. Turn off the power on connected PSU (power supply unit)
2. Battery (cr2032) should be in the Board
3. Find the jumper (nvrav clear) on your board and lock this jumper.
4. Connect vga port of your board to the monitor.
5. Turn on the power, start the Board... and wait for... 3-5 may be 7-10 minutes. Then you will see the blue picture on your screen.
6. Then again turn off the power on Board/PSU.
7. Let it be free now for closed jumper (nvram clear).
8. turn on... and now your integrated video is ON as default. Later you may TURNOFF the integrated video in BIOS.
9. like it and... be happy ;)
View attachment 8578
You are awesome :3
My board alive and now ill trying to activate R9 390, one time windows start`s, but see blinking artefacts on screen. And system think, that 2 monitors connected. When VGA connector disconnected, nothing works and only black screen

igoresz

Dec 16, 2017
Moscow
My board alive and now ill trying to activate R9 390, one time windows start`s, but see blinking artefacts on screen. And system think, that 2 monitors connected. When VGA connector disconnected, nothing works and only black screen
Яkov, your board is W6W6G . It has some issues, I tried it before (about a year ago) and... I'm not happy with this version of C8220 ((( ...problems with onboard discs, not correct work of raisers... etc. see this forum, see the messages from this TOPIC STARTER (@drabadue or @Patrick or I don't know his third or fourth marketing nick here, sorry if my opinion is wrong)... on these pages there were written enough about this ~<W^W^Ɵ. About my expeirence, it has ended when finally it burned when I tried to renew BIOS...

Regarding the phisical damages of your item (broken during the delivery or before it was sold...)... as you wrote before... it may show everything now, even mikimouse). By the way that is the main reason why sometimes is better to buy not from very distant places like US and CN, but to buy from local suppliers (in RF try avito, youla and write somth like - " Dell Server System Board Dual LGA 2011. "). Of course it may be expensive by 15-30%... but you will have local negotiations and possibility to get the item into your hands before you buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yakov

Yakov

May 31, 2018
Яkov, your board is W6W6G . It has some issues, I tried it before (about a year ago) and... I'm not happy with this version of C8220 ((( ...problems with onboard discs, not correct work of raisers... etc. see this forum, see the messages from this TOPIC STARTER (@drabadue or @Patrick or I don't know his third or fourth marketing nick here, sorry if my opinion is wrong)... on these pages there were written enough about this ~<W^W^Ɵ. About my expeirence, it has ended when finally it burned when I tried to renew BIOS...
After BIOS recovery I started my videocard. Its not easy, byt this is not a board problem, this is f...g ASPEED drivers, that cracked windows. What i do:
1) Started with VGA cable
2)After starting Windows I disable ASPEED graphic from device manager. BUT you must be sure, that drivers for you main card installed sucsessful. Im using miner for this
3)When your screen comes black, you can connect HDMI (or anything else) cable to your main card
4) Profit.

What about SATA. Yes, this controller does not work for me, BUT i got Samsung NVMe 960 PRO and it`s works if you use custom loader. And now i thinking to buy MINISAS to 4 SATA.

Its really whimsical board, first it came broken and for 2 days i trying to fix it with microscope and i do it. My mood of the disgusting has become good, and then problems with videocard, again i be so upset, but after your help everything works.

Плата на самом деле проблемная и не всё описано в мануале, я его уже читаю по ночам, но про сброс NVRAM не нашёл

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: igoresz

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
No one has the experience of running nVidia Tesla K20 + Ubuntu 16.04 + CUDA + Deep Learning on c6220-с8220?

falanger

Jan 30, 2018
Good day.
I bought a cable for an additional GPGPU connector - cable DP/N 0DJC89.
Additional power to the riser board at the end of the cable is connected.
When installing in the riser GTS 250, GTX 980, Tesla K20m - when the board starts, this error message appears.
https://i.imgur.com/CrWMmWq.jpg
It appears even if a jumper is installed on the riser card and when it is not.
I want to know if there is a way to fix the error with the photo? After Ubuntu's launch by command, the video card is displayed on the bus.

The second problem with this system is how to get Tesla K20 to work in Linux using the built-in video card of the server board for video output. I need to use the built-in server management tools that do not work with an external video card. And I do not want to put an external video card on the server. There are only 3 slots where I want to put 2 Tesla + ssd M2 for the swap system