Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MumbleFysh

Mar 3, 2017
I've made a little progress with my home made case. I am making it out of 15mm openbeam extrusion bought on Amazon. The length of the beams are 540mm long, which is just longer than the board. The width of the beams are almost the same as the width of the board to make the standoffs line up. I am using 34mm standoffs and maker beam corner cubes to hold the board in place. I plan to put the hard drives under the board, and the power supply above the rear of the board, similar to thomasz. You can see the GPU and the GPU riser in the pictures. Eventually I will 3d print supports and use plexiglass or acrylic to close the skeleton. The entire structure is held together by M3 screws.

Forgive the missing upright beams. I have not cut them yet.

The extrusion look great! I decided to go a cheaper route and get angle aluminium. Basically the same setup but with angle instead of exttruded.

Hello all, wondering if anyone is still following this thread? There has been some more progress on my "WarpDrv". I hand-made a curved acrylic fairing! Look!

The machine is basically completed! I will test-drive and fine-tune it, before posting a complete build log!
I'm speechless. This thing looks awesome, it almost looks oem!

Limoneverde

Mar 29, 2017
just my quick update:
- with the HDD interposer card I was able to boot with sata HD (powered the card with 5V!), using the ports on the card itself (NOT the sata ports on the mobo)
- ok WIN7 64bit pro installation with 2 XEON E5 2640 2,5ghz and 64GB RAM
- tested ok with a NVIDIA QUADRO NVS290 and a GTX480 modded to a quadro6000, disabling the onboard vga and seeing the screen quickly for setup/boot screen and then windows

I have problems with a GTX980TI, I can install it using the onboard vga enabled, in windows seven and the driver is ok BUT I cannot see anything on the screen (I believe windows does not even start) when the onboard vga card is disabled on bios, and I try to boot the mobo only with GTX980TI enabled (the card is powered correctly with 6+8 pin dedicated plugs).
The same thing happened with a NVIDIA NVS300, so I think it is not a power problem,
do you have any suggestions? BIOS settings for PCI?
thanks in advance
bye

thomasz

Oct 2, 2016
just my quick update:
- with the HDD interposer card I was able to boot with sata HD (powered the card with 5V!), using the ports on the card itself (NOT the sata ports on the mobo)
- ok WIN7 64bit pro installation with 2 XEON E5 2640 2,5ghz and 64GB RAM
- tested ok with a NVIDIA QUADRO NVS290 and a GTX480 modded to a quadro6000, disabling the onboard vga and seeing the screen quickly for setup/boot screen and then windows

I have problems with a GTX980TI, I can install it using the onboard vga enabled, in windows seven and the driver is ok BUT I cannot see anything on the screen (I believe windows does not even start) when the onboard vga card is disabled on bios, and I try to boot the mobo only with GTX980TI enabled (the card is powered correctly with 6+8 pin dedicated plugs).
The same thing happened with a NVIDIA NVS300, so I think it is not a power problem,
do you have any suggestions? BIOS settings for PCI?
thanks in advance
bye
Hi @Limoneverde, I recall that @drabadue said you can turn off "using PCI BIOS" in BIOS setting if your GTX980Ti doesn't

Reactions: Limoneverde

Limoneverde

Mar 29, 2017
@thomasz thank you, where is this setting in the bios setup? I am using the 2.7.1 (BIOS_N9F7P_WN64_2.7.1.EXE) is this the latest one available?
thanks

thomasz

Oct 2, 2016
@thomasz thank you, where is this setting in the bios setup? I am using the 2.7.1 (BIOS_N9F7P_WN64_2.7.1.EXE) is this the latest one available?
thanks
@Limoneverde You are welcome! All I can remember is that: You need to plug in your GTX980Ti without changing the BIOS setting (leaving the "use add-on video card" off, then reboot. You will still see images coming from your VGA cable. Go into BIOS, go to the same PCI setting page, you will see an extra option at around 3rd place from top. It allows you to disable the BIOS from your add-on card (here GTX980Ti). Do it. Meanwhile set "use add-on video card". Then reboot. If you are lucky enough you will see graphs from GTX980Ti. Otherwise jump-clear your BIOS and start all over.

Limoneverde

Mar 29, 2017
@thomasz thanks again, I have tried the PCI1 slot enabled without oprom, with WIN7 I could boot with VGA onboard and install the GTX980TI drivers perfectly but without video output on any ports!
then I have installed WIN10 with VGA onboard and GTX980ti on slot1: installed nvidia drivers and then reboot, and finally the video output starts coming out from GTX980ti ports!
but when I disable the onboard VGA on bios and reboot no video signal at all from GTX980TI and no windows boot (I cannot hear the HD starting running on win boot), only network card led becomes green instead of orange.

So I can output GTX980TI video only in WIN when also the onboard VGA is enabled and running in windows...strange thing (NVS290 and GTX480 boot in WIN normally without VGA onboard enabled without problems)

In all cases I use a ribbon extender cable for PCIE slot 1

MumbleFysh

Mar 3, 2017
System up and running stable, 2x 2650 CPU, 64GB Ram, Nvidia 520GT, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, dual screens running properly.

I have not installed the 5v-> 12v step up yet, it seems that's the final step.

MumbleFysh

Mar 3, 2017
On another know, does anyone know if this board supports s/1/2/3/4 sleep or hibernate modes? With the step up it supposedly shuts down the powersupply and such properly but how about sleep/hibernate?

Limoneverde

Mar 29, 2017
@thomasz and @drabadue and @Silvio are you using the add-on graphic (HD 5450, GTX980TI, RX570 respectively if I well understood) card with the onboard disabled? which bios version are you using? thanks

My results with bios 2.7.1 are:
NVIDIA NVS290 and QUADRO 6000 working also with vga onboard disabled
NVIDIA NVS300 and GTX980TI working ONLY with vga onboard ENABLED

Last edited:

Silvio

Mar 20, 2017
@thomasz and @drabadue and @Silvio are you using the add-on graphic (HD 5450, GTX980TI, RX570 respectively if I well understood) card with the onboard disabled? which bios version are you using? thanks

I tried Nvidia GT610 the RX570 successfully. I had to replace the Radeon because it was so deep that I had to remove 2 DIMMs. Now I'm using Rx550 that fits properly and works without problems.

I never disabled the onboard video and using with BIOS 2.7.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomasz

Oct 2, 2016

I typically plug the graphics card, with VGA cable connected to the motherboard, then enter BIOS, then disable on-board graphics, then save, then power off, then unplug the VGA cable from the motherboard, then connect the HDMI/DVI cable to the graphics card, then power on.

I didn't expect that some card would work without on-board graphics disabled. If I had a chance to retry, some cards might have worked.

madLyfe

Jul 18, 2017
nice setups guys! you inspired me to get a couple of these for my own project but mid shipment i have decided to go a different route via opterons. i am going to try and sell mine that just came in the mail here to see if anyone wants them so i dont have to pay the ebay fees.
FS: Poweredge C8220 Motherboard (TDN55)

Limoneverde

Mar 29, 2017
Hi there
some updates from my system, talking about performance using Performance Test 9.0 from passmark.com:
- the x2 E5-2640 perform very well with 64gb of ram in terms of CPU MARK as you can see from below screenshot
- the problem is the 2d/3d graphic performances which are a lot less than other my system (using an I5 2500K) using the same graphic card: a GTX480 modded to a QUADRO6000: 2D MARK 498 vs 787, 3D MARK 1320 vs 5123!!! using same NVIDIA drivers and OS (win7 64 bit)

I have modified the PCI configuration in bios setup without noticeable changes, embedded vga is disabled.
I am using a PCIE riser cable, but I have read that it is not a problem...

Do you have experienced same issues with graphics performances?

Do you have any suggestions?
thanks in advancePASSMARK_DUAL E5 QUADRO6000 SEVEN.JPG

Reactions: thomasz

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
I am sorry I have been gone so long. I have moved twice since I started this thread, and things have been very busy. I am glad to see so many people are still playing with this setup.

As of right now, I am just getting back to working on my C6220 board. I had to put it off for awhile. Since I am getting back to it, I will try to be more active and post more pictures.

@thomasz - Your machine looks absolutely amazing. I have purchased my own 3d printer and I am making grilles and brackets for my home made aluminum extruded case. Hopefully I can get it finished up here soon, and post pictures.

I am surprised to see the price of the C6220 and C8220 boards come down so much. Right now you can buy a C6220 board on ebay for $78 shipped. The picture is of the V2.0 board, but I think the part number is for a V1.0 board. I planned to look into this a bit further as I have recently bought 4 more E5-2600 series processors.

Reactions: madLyfe

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
I guess I did make some progress that I forgot to mention here. @thomasz gave me a part number for the PCIe right angle adapter card he was using with his GPU. Said adapter can be seen in the pictures in this post:

Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

I went ahead and bought one on eBay, and when I installed the GTX980Ti, the card of course weighs too much to support itself in the slot. So I designed some support brackets and 3D printed them to hold the GPU in place. It took many attempts to get the supports just right, but in the end, I am happy with how it turned out.

Sorry for the low quality pictures. I will try to get better ones once I make more progress.

If anyone is interested in the .stp or .stl files for those supports, or the part number of the right angle card, or the hardware I used, just let me know and I will get you the info.

drabadue

Sep 15, 2016
System up and running stable, 2x 2650 CPU, 64GB Ram, Nvidia 520GT, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, dual screens running properly.

I have not installed the 5v-> 12v step up yet, it seems that's the final step.

Hi there
some updates from my system, talking about performance using Performance Test 9.0 from passmark.com:
- the x2 E5-2640 perform very well with 64gb of ram in terms of CPU MARK as you can see from below screenshot
- the problem is the 2d/3d graphic performances which are a lot less than other my system (using an I5 2500K) using the same graphic card: a GTX480 modded to a QUADRO6000: 2D MARK 498 vs 787, 3D MARK 1320 vs 5123!!! using same NVIDIA drivers and OS (win7 64 bit)

I have modified the PCI configuration in bios setup without noticeable changes, embedded vga is disabled.
I am using a PCIE riser cable, but I have read that it is not a problem...

Do you have experienced same issues with graphics performances?

Do you have any suggestions?
thanks in advanceView attachment 6276

I went ahead and ran my own Passmark 9.0 scores. These test scores were ran with dual E5-2665's, 128gb of Crucial 1600MHz ram, Gigabyte GTX980Ti, and Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD.

@Limoneverde - I had issues with my 3D scores as well. I got an error when running the DirectX12 test, that said it test could not run full screen. After the entire benchmark completed, I ran just that test by itself. It ran, but it docked points as it wasn't running in its native resolution. Well, I have my GPU hooked to my 4k Samsung TV. When running in 4k, everything on the screen is very small and hard to see. So I had adjusted the windows display setting (change the size of text, apps, and other items) up to 200%. This was causing the tests to be penalized and score low. Once I changed it back to 100%, everything ran fine. Not sure if you have something similar going on, but I figured I'd mention it.

Reactions: Limoneverde