Dell PowerEdge C8220 Build and Questions

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by drabadue, Sep 15, 2016.

1. IvanO

IvanO New Member

Your dump didn't work for me, but I was able to use it to make a BIOS from the update from the official Dell site! I attach the dump file!
    W6W6G
    c8220 dump.zip

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. IvanO

IvanO New Member

Now for some reason it hangs on the message: configuring memory done...
    I changed the processor, memory, discrete graphics card, the result is the same.
    Can anyone come across such a problem?

3. xorira

xorira New Member

Yes, I removed the cmos battery, installed the" jmefw1" jumper, then "biosrecovery", after that the launch is true

4. IvanO

IvanO New Member

jumper bios recovery need to be put together with jumper jmefw1?

5. IvanO

IvanO New Member

SATA controller is missing as I understand it, are the two connectors near the hub just conclusions? how to implement sata?

6. boborjan

boborjan New Member

I am about to buy one of these boards. There are two questions I could not find answer to in this topic:
    1) what is the approx boot time (to OS start) of these boards? (I am asking this as I am using a LGA1366 server board that needs ~ 1-2 minutes for pre-POST and POST - I find this somewhat annoying for a desktop)
    2) Can anyone confirm if boards marked CNW04 support E5-26xxV2 CPUs? Or only V1?
    many thanks for the info

7. IvanO

IvanO New Member

The latest bios supports V2! Before the launch of 40 seconds, you need to wait, but I have a W6W6G.

8. boborjan

boborjan New Member

Thanks for the quick reply! Hm I wonder if v2 processor support depends only on BIOS version then.(?)
    I tried to gather info on onboard SATA as well: W6W6G reportedly does not support onboard SATA. CNW04 and 083N0 reportedly does. Any info on TDN55 and 9N44V? I read most posts here but it is not that obvious to connect people with board versions :|
    Thanks again, Viktor.

9. xorira

xorira New Member

9n44v works well with 2x e5-2680v2

10. boborjan

boborjan New Member

What about the onboard SATA? Does that work as well? Or do you need the extra panel?

11. JodgAwesome

JodgAwesome New Member

Hey guys, been browsing this thread for a while as I wanted to build my own server/workstation for rendering, game servers, off site file hosting, and other stuff. My plan was to go with 2x E5-2680 a C8220 MB(actually a C6220, more on that later), 32GB of ECC DDR3-1333 RAM & some storage. After reading literally everything on this thread I decided to buy the parts & build this thing! Im happy to say after a few days of configuration & mainly waiting on extra parts, i've gotten it up & running & benchmarked! I still need to install the GPU, finish cable management & build a case, but this is a great milestone for me!

All in all this cost me only around $300 as a friend gave me a GTX560 GPU, 1TB HDD, & a 500W PSU. For the cost im really happy with the performance as my current tests have shown it slightly beating my Ryzen 7 1700x desktop which totals at about $1000. The motherboard I bought was advertised as a C8220 W6W6G however when I received it the BIOS said it was a C6220, which after updating the bios to 2.5.6 I can confirm. As mentioned by many others the onboard SATA ports do not work & I even tried the @Wictar front panel connector pin short & that didn't do anything. To be fair I didnt short the pins, I jumped them with a 220Ohm resistor as I didn't want to burn anything, so who knows maybe it would work shorted, but im not trying it lol. Do note however that Wictar does have a different motherboard version so that's probably why it didn't work for me. Because the onboard Sata ports do not work I bought a PCIe to Sata Card off Amazon for $14, but its capping my SSD at about ~350MB/s so I bought the PowerEdge Rear Backplane card so I can use those Sata ports.

To get power to the board I simply bought the same Amazon Patch Cable as @drabadue mentioned on page 1 and connected it straight up. I haven't done the 12VSB mod &or the PS-ON mod, but when I do I will post about it. I installed the relevant I350 ethernet drivers for my board from HERE & got the updated BIOS from HERE. While the BIOS installer doesn't say it works with Windows 10, it opened and installed fine for me. The AST2300 onboard graphics does have a website with drivers, I could not figure out how to install them and I didnt invest much time into it as im going to use an external GPU anyways. Also for controlling the fans I took the $10 fan controller out of my desktop as I dont use it and im going to install it into the case I build for this thing.

I've only ran a few benchmarks so far, but the performance is impressive;

PassMark:
    Score on my Ryzen 7 1700x Build with a GTX 1070:
    Rating: 4,290
    CPU Mark: 16,172
    Memory Mark: 1,951

Score on Dual 2680's (No GPU)
    Rating: 3,572 (Lower due to no GPU)
    CPU Mark: 16,483
    Memory Mark: 2,027
    -----------------------------------------------
    My DIY Fusion 360 Render Benchmarks:

File #1 Somewhat Complex Render:
    Ryzen 1700x: 40 seconds
    Dual E5-2680: 33 seconds

File #2 Complex (Lots of objects & surfaces) Render:
    Ryzen 1700x: 1m 43 seconds
    Dual E5-2680: 1m 23 seconds

Finally HERE is a link to an Imgur gallery with all the images I have so far!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  12. JodgAwesome

JodgAwesome New Member

Update #1:

Modified the ATX Patch Cable & added a 5VSB to 12V boost converter. Also cut the wire that shorted the green ATX pin to ground and soldered it to the PS_ON pin on the motherboard. Both mods worked great and windows can now shut down properly. Still haven't had time to get GPU working, but will post about it when I do.

Imgur Images!

13. Vit K

Vit K New Member

Could you confirm that your W6W6G run V2 CPU? Can you make photos of MB and BIOS? My MB does not boot with V2.

14. Markess

Markess New Member

Hi all, I've been following this thread for a while and was thinking of jumping in. I have an opportunity to get a board locally, its a 0083N0 model.

My goal is to do some experimenting with enclosure design and get some experience with virtualization. No need for a GPU or other expansion cards, but would want the onboard SAS and SATA to work. I think, based on what I read from @drabadue back on page 10 of the thread, that this model will do that? ( https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...build-and-questions.11292/page-10#post-131298 )

Any other pitfalls for this model (0083N0) to know about?

Thanks!