Dell PowerEdge C6145 x2 + Poweredge C4130? Good combo?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crocoyes3

Jul 28, 2020
The C6145 is actually two 4-socket servers in one 2U chassis, each with 32 DIMM slots for a total DDR3 memory capacity of 1TB and 96 total processor cores. It's aimed squarely at HPC applications, virtualization, VDI and EDA workloads, and with a peak Geekbench 2.1.11 score of 22,607, we'd say it's well qualified. For our tests, we configured each node as a stand-alone server running 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2.

Reactions: Storm-Chaser

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
I succeeded in this field because I could make a good estimate of where it will be five years in the future, not ten years in the past. I don't understand what there is of current monetary value to be learned in storm-chasers' endeavor. That said, I do understand the nostalgia of memories on the bleeding edge and the satisfaction of recreating it.
Yeah, it's a little like restoring an old car. Not very practical since you can go out and buy one brand new, with all the latest bells and whistles. More for the sentiment than a practical, monetary decision.

At this point its purely an "entertainment" build. Meaning, I did it just for the kicks. Not concerned with the money I've spent up to this point because the parts I've selected will make for a good addition to my growing computer collection.

Hitekvoop

Aug 28, 2020
Completely understand your motivation to play with this stuff. My 6145 arrives next week :p 6376's for me, and yes I, too, have a soft spot for AMD. It will join my 6105 in my lab and take over primary lab duty. Prob build a NAS from it and some other stuff. I also understand where BlueFox is coming from as well but to be able to have the amount of flexibility these things offer at the current price point makes it difficult (for me, anyway) to pass up.

My primary systems are modern, I really don't mind at all that my lab is running 8 year old hardware. And I love a bargain :p

Reactions: Storm-Chaser

Hitekvoop

Aug 28, 2020
Completely understand your motivation to play with this stuff. My 6145 arrives next week :p 6376's for me, and yes I, too, have a soft spot for AMD. It will join my 6105 in my lab and take over primary lab duty. Prob build a NAS from it and some other stuff. I also understand where BlueFox is coming from as well but to be able to have the amount of flexibility these things offer at the current price point makes it difficult (for me, anyway) to pass up.

My primary systems are modern, I really don't mind at all that my lab is running 8 year old hardware. And I love a bargain :p
System arrived. It is maybe the loudest system I've ever heard. At full tilt I actually found myself searching for ear plugs. Luckily it calms down a fair bit once it's running and I have a dedicated room where I don't have to listen to it all day. So far, so good.

Hitekvoop

Aug 28, 2020
Two days later, less than one week after it arrived, I'll be putting it up for sale. Way too power hungry for me, and these were just 115w procs.

Storm-Chaser

Twin Turbo
Apr 16, 2020
Upstate NY
Two days later, less than one week after it arrived, I'll be putting it up for sale. Way too power hungry for me, and these were just 115w procs.
Yes I noticed the same thing. It this point I am keeping the server for the silicon alone. Also I can only run DDR3 1333MHz with the 6180s