Dell Poweredge C6100 DCS - firmware updates

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jared

Aug 22, 2013
Ok,

So as many of you who own the C6100 have heard at one time or another of the ever so bothersome DCS models and the possibility of "Bricking" them when updating firmware/bios/etc.
I am starting this thread to find out who has done the updates to their DCS models and figured out how to update them without the aforementioned "bricking" taking place.

From what I understand, Apparently you can update the BMC, remote management firmware to bring it from the "megatrends" version to the Dell version. This in turn if I understand correctly actually turns on the asset tag descriptors within remote management....which is great.

It also seems that those of us who get our "service tagged" models, some times find the lovely surprise of DCS nodes mixed in, with the seller typically reporting as " that is how we got it from Dell"

Hopefully this thread will be a great place for combined knowledge of who actually updated their known DCS nodes, and who updated their " anonymous nodes"

I was certainly no exception that at least 2 of my nodes were "service tagged", however the other 2 are completely "anonymous" and the seller is not able to tell me anything on them. This leads me to believe that they are DCS nodes, even though there is no "express code" on the nodes themselves, and remote management has nothing on them as far as the asset and service tag goes.

The service tag is unusable on the chassis itself, because when i ordered the unit, I requested they pull the nodes using the L5639s "(6 core processors) out of a 3.5" chassis and put them into a 2.5" chassis, they sent me the unit, but are not able to provide me any other additional info on the nodes themselves.

At this point the TY3 Models are able to be updated if service tagged, from here: Drivers for PowerEdge C6100

I believe that some of the firmware updates can be applied to "anonymous" or DCS models, im just not sure which are safe and which arent. Obviously the BIOS would "brick" the node if wrong for a DCS model. So trying to find the "safe" was has been very challenging to say the least.

If anyone has a good idea or method to updating their firmware and how they went about it, that would be great to know for many of us who get these little DCS suprises.
Thanks guys
--
Jared