Dell PowerConnect 5548 Noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
I've got a bunch of Dell PowerConnect 5500 series (5524, 5548 and 5548P). They are noisy, and I need to use them in an office environment in a cabinet. So I'm looking to replace the fans. I've seen a lot of advice / recommendations for the (likely equally noisy) 5400 series, such as using these fans:

Sunon KDE1204PFV2 3-Pin 40mm Fan | Coolerguys | Coolerguys

Can I use the same ones for the 5500 series?

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
Are you using all Dell? I'd guesstimate you can sell what you have and get quiet or silent switches for what you sell those for plus fan costs. Factor in labor for the swaps and power and you'll be far ahead

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
Yeh, should have perhaps researched these things a little more before pulling the trigger! The problem is, I'm outside of the US and it takes forever (and costs much!) to ship these things back and forth, so I'm sort of stuck with these for now.

I've just pulled one apart to take a look. There are actually four fans in total, two to the rear of the case which look like standard 40x40x20 mm fans like the Sunon units I linked to above. But the other two are embedded in the Delta power supply, and they are deeper - I would say around 28mm.

Some pics attached.

Attachments

Chris Web

Sep 12, 2017
I replaced fans in my 6224, works fine. Those dell fans are super loud

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

gdi2k

Apr 14, 2016
JoeKewle I didn't take the plunge in the end. I couldn't source them locally, which would have meant importing them from the US, and couldn't find anyone that had done it successfully on the Dell 5500 series switches specifically, so I didn't want to risk getting a pile of wrong parts (we currently have 6 of these switches). We ended up relocating / centralizing the switches by running additional cable to avoid them being in office spaces.