Dell PowerConnect 5524 / 5548 Serial Cable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have two Dell PowerConnect 5524 switches that I am trying to coax into a stack. These use the HDMI stacking which free up the 10gb SFP+ ports for connections. Also, in very cool temperatures (~60F) the switch's fans stay off most of the time which is nice.

The issue I had was a lack of serial cable with either unit. Here is what I did:
1. Plug in my standard USB to serial cable making USB COM3
2. Fired up putty, selected Serial and selected COM3 and 9600 baud (default
3. Used a Cisco serial to RJ-45 console cable. (here is the one that worked for me)
4. Powered on the switch

The console came right up.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
so did you stack them using the hdmi? does the sfp+ work with server sfp+ or does it have to be a switch?

herby

Aug 18, 2013
I have two Dell PowerConnect 5524 switches that I am trying to coax into a stack. These use the HDMI stacking which free up the 10gb SFP+ ports for connections. Also, in very cool temperatures (~60F) the switch's fans stay off most of the time which is nice.

The issue I had was a lack of serial cable with either unit. Here is what I did:
1. Plug in my standard USB to serial cable making USB COM3
2. Fired up putty, selected Serial and selected COM3 and 9600 baud (default
3. Used a Cisco serial to RJ-45 console cable. (here is the one that worked for me)
4. Powered on the switch

The console came right up.
Bolded the part I found most exciting. I've been sweet on those switches especially as their price seems to be dropping on ebay; but the 40mm fans made me think I could never run a pair in my apartment. Might have to start saving up for a stack of my own.

nry

Feb 22, 2013
I have two of these switches (5524) and they have been brilliant! Have them stacked with some slimline HDMI leads.

10GbE performance over the HDMI cables easily gits 9.9Gbit :)

When the fans kick in, they are pretty loud. To solve this I have attached two Arctic Cooling F8 fans to the side blowing air in. The internal fans now never kick in and the setup is pretty quiet now!

herby

Aug 18, 2013
Can you manage it through GUI?
I glanced at the manual once and I believe the initial setup needs to be though the console, but there is a browser based GUI you can use after that.

Black Ninja

Apr 23, 2015
Can somebody tell me where to get dell stacking cables. I am trying to get it right from then start. I don't wont to keep swapping hdmi cables till something seems to work. It could turn in to nightmare very easy and I know it will work (from what i read) great with the right cables ?