Dell P31H2: $99

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RchGrav

Aug 21, 2015
I guess so, like another other pcie device.
That’s what I figured so having 16x would be kinda nice if you could utilize all of it bandwidth wise. I might grab one to play with. There isn’t really any firmware on it or a bios. It’s just like a pex plx to minisas connector.

there is something that has never been clear to me about devices like this. I would assume it’s exclusively pcie being sent out 4x on each of those connectors. What happens if someone tries to use it to run SAS drives off of it. I’m beginning to see hints of some NVME being able to fall back to SAS or SATA on some newer drives…. But this isn’t actually a SAS adapter in the way an HBA would be.

Reactions: Samir

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Exactly, I did not see a tri-mode chip like the 9400 HBAs. This one might only be nvme.

Reactions: Samir

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah, i thought so too but didn't want to take your opportunity to say it;)

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
The STH Effect™ strikes again! :D
(not actually trademarked, but looks cooler this way)
A trademark (TM) exists as soon as you use a mark in trade.

A registered trademark on the other hand (r with a circle around it), which provides more protection, does require you actually file for and receive a trademark.

So you can legally use "TM" and claim a trademark just by writing TM after something. Just don't put an R-circle mark on something that's not actually registered.

Reactions: dawsonkm

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
The Dell PN is 1PDFM, as it is meant to attach to a backplane. You can easily get 4x for less than $50 on eBay.

However, I have used sff-8643 meant for pcie on a sas3008 card in the past and it worked (with some hit to performance).

I would be surprised if this would not work with sff-8643 to u.2 (in case you do not have a sff-8643 backplane).

On the other hand, there are a couple of sff-8643 nvme enclosures on the market that will just about be considered "eol" with the presence of occulink and the current gen slimsas (sff-8654).