Dell MD1000 with non Dell hard drive, is it work?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lkthomas

Sep 17, 2016
As title, I see mixed comment on this, do I need to update chassis firmware before install non Dell hard drive?

Sent from my Moto MAXX using Tapatalk

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
As title, I see mixed comment on this, do I need to update chassis firmware before install non Dell hard drive?

Sent from my Moto MAXX using Tapatalk
I've been using 2 x Dell MD1000 stuffed full of 4TB WD Red sata drives for the last 18 months for backup storage and video storage. No problems whatsoever. It's running off a Dell R510 through the H800 card. As long as you update the card's firmware you're good to go. I don't know if larger drives will work, I haven't tried them but I know 4TB drive do work. Of course you're limited to the 3G speeds of the enclosure.

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
I've been using 2 x Dell MD1000 stuffed full of 4TB WD Red sata drives for the last 18 months for backup storage and video storage. No problems whatsoever. It's running off a Dell R510 through the H800 card. As long as you update the card's firmware you're good to go. I don't know if larger drives will work, I haven't tried them but I know 4TB drive do work. Of course you're limited to the 3G speeds of the enclosure.
How fast is your Perc conntected to the drives? Do you get 4x 3G or 2x 4x 3G?

Did you need special interposer trays?

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
As Reds are SATA only (I don't believe WD offers NL-SAS Reds), they are single ported and you cannot use 2 x 4 x 3Gbit/s. Only with interposer trays or NL-SAS can you do dual channel (and therefor 2 x 4 x 3Gbit/s.

For most people 4 x 3Gbit/s (=12 Gbit/s = ~1.2GByte/s = more than what a single 10Gbit ethernet link can transfer) is enough bandwidth.

You do have the option to run the MD1000 in split channel with SATA drives that don't have the interposer board. In this configuration, each 'half' of the enclosure will be connected to one channel on the raid controller.

NashBrydges

Apr 30, 2015
As Reds are SATA only (I don't believe WD offers NL-SAS Reds), they are single ported and you cannot use 2 x 4 x 3Gbit/s. Only with interposer trays or NL-SAS can you do dual channel (and therefor 2 x 4 x 3Gbit/s.

For most people 4 x 3Gbit/s (=12 Gbit/s = ~1.2GByte/s = more than what a single 10Gbit ethernet link can transfer) is enough bandwidth.

You do have the option to run the MD1000 in split channel with SATA drives that don't have the interposer board. In this configuration, each 'half' of the enclosure will be connected to one channel on the raid controller.
The top transfer speeds out of this box with 15 x 6G 4TB WD Reds without interposer boards is ~300MB/s. It's connected to a Dell H800 and since it's for backup purposes only, works perfectly for my use-case.

raylangivens

Nov 22, 2016
I know it's an old thread, but it pops up on Google searches for MD1000...

Pulling one of the I/O-modules will allow SATA disks without interposer boards in unified mode.
Of course doing that will disable SAS link redundancy, but homelabbers usually don't need that anyways.