Dell J23 2U storage chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Ah my mistake... I kept seeing 3gb/6gb when people are writing about th J23 and thought it was capable of both. I think that still matters little to me. I get upwards of 120MB/s on my current Synology and that is never an issue. Speed isnt my primary concern, reliability and expansion and then reasonable quietness is.

I asked in another thread elsewhere, but whether I get the MD1000, j23, or Racksolutions jbod, should I worry about getting a real sas drive like the WD 4tb drive (WD4000F9YZ) that is on the compatibility list for the 9200 - 8e or would WD red 4tb drives be just as good (again, from a reliability standpoint)? I have four of the 4TB WD red drives now and it would be nice to just keep buying those for the raid 6 (really ReFS with storage spaces, double parity) that I plan to run.

If the answer is that the WD Red drives are fine, are the regular ones like I have also fine, or do I need the PRO version that says they are for chassis greater than 8 bays. The cheapest route for me is to be able to keep buying the regular Red drives identical to what I have.

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
I have a J23 enclosure with 9x WD4001FYYG and 2x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 SAS drives in RAID 6 + 1 hotspare. Even though it's a SAS1 enclosure it recognizes the SAS2 drives, but does not recognize a HGST C15K600 SAS3 drive I tried in it. I'm using it with an Intel RS25SB008 (LSI 9286 rebrand).

I would not recommend any drives with 10^14 URE if any sort of raid is going to be used. I was able to grab sealed refurbished drives with ~4 years warranty on eBay and Amazon, and used the CDW outlet for the two HGST drives. If I averaged the price paid it'd be about $180 per drive. That's not much of a price difference between WD Red drives, and your raid not dying during a rebuild is well worth the extra cost imo.

I would also not recommend the MD1000 unless you need dual PSUs because the J23 is cheaper (got mine for $45 best offer), has more bays, and uses the newer SFF 8088 connector. If MD1200s were affordable then I would have gotten one of those instead. The cheapest I've found those is $750 here. I'll live with SAS1 speeds to save $700.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Very good info, thanks. I have actually found a local place that will sell me two md1000 units for $75, but no bezel or carriers.... Does that chassis cool correctly with no blanks or carriers inserted in the non used slots?

I was also concerned about noise, having been told by one person that had both that they estimated the j23 to be 40% louder than the MD.

I haven't been able to find a good priced j23 that has carriers, nor any standalone j23 carriers.

denpa

Feb 21, 2015
There's the fan mod for the J23 posted earlier in the thread. I'm planning to do it whenever these get back in stock.

I purchased these trays (they took a buck less on best offer) and offered $45 for this listing for the J23, with an adjusted shipping price. Since you're getting 2 MD1000s for no shipping cost and a fraction of the going price, it may be a better deal to just get whatever trays go with them on eBay.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Well I ended up picking up three MD1000 units today locally for $250 total out of pocket. All have bezels, one has all carriers and all with sata interposers which I will probably resell. So it came out well I think. Ordered 4 WD WD4001FYYG RE sas drives new for $170 each on Ebay. Finally got to hear the MD1000 and it is a bit loud for my tastes, although not crazy bad, but I will probably risk opening up a power supply and see what the fan situation looks like and see if I can do anything.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
And FYI - if it helps anyone, an empty MD1000 chassis just plugged into the wall after the fans are allowed to die down pulls 70 watts and is about 58dB with it just sitting on the floor and the RadioShack sound meter around a foot above it set to C weighting slow.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Question about the power supply fan. I popped open the supply and looked at the SFB0612ehe Delta fan that is in there. Here are the specs:

http://partner.delta-corp.com/Products/FANUploads/Specification/AFB0612EHE-AF00(REV01).pdf

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AFB0612EHE-AF00/603-1523-ND/2560646

Question 1: both of the spec say its a 3 wire lead fan, but there are clearly 4 wires coming from the fan and connecting to the PCB. Red, blue, black and yellow. The specs do not mention the yellow wire. Is this just a ground and simply not mentioned? Or is there some error? I just want to make sure any replacement fan I try has the same connections. Hopefully the connections near the PCB will be an easy plug in. There is some goop on that connection but I assume I can just scrape it off and replace the new connector in its place. See pic.

Question 2: I will have to get in there with my fingers to get these fans disconnected from the PCB and reconnected. These supplies have been disconnected for days. Is there any danger to me touching any particular part of the power supply?

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Anyone have any ideas for replacement 60x60x38mm fans for this unit? My thoughts are that if its designed to keep 15 15k sas drives cool in a possibly relatively hot datacenter, a fan of at least 20% lesser airflow and static pressure could do the job for up to 15 7200 rpm drives in a relatively cool environment with no other datacenter products.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
I actually found this guy 9G0612P4H0011 Sanyo Denki | Mouser but haven't had a chance to purchase any yet. It's a bit pricey but it looks like a good replacement. All of the 60x60x38 fans that I've found are high flow/high noise units similar to what are in it. Any 60x60 fan should be able to mount in the brackets though.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
That looks interesting... any idea if its simply a drop in replacement for the connections in my picture above? Or does it come as bare wires I have to hook into a connector? I have never tried to replace a fan inside a power supply before.... the specs on that sound promising though. 49dBA at max rpm and hopefully it would actually run a good bit below its max rpm....

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
It is bare wire. I have no idea about replacing it in your power supply. I'd just be using them in the J23 chassis personally.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
This may work for me... it apparently has a 4pin connector that looks like what is already there. The fan in the picture is the same in both of these ads...

Amazon.com: Sunon PMD1206PMB3-A (2).B938.F Cooling Fan 12V~.43Amp (5.2W) 60mm x 60mm x 38mm, 4-Pin Connector, Compatible Part Number N5412N: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Dell U8679 Computer Case Cooling Fan and Shroud Assembly, For Optiplex GX620, 745, 755, and SX280 Ultra Small Form Factor (USFF) Systems, 12V~.35A, 60mm x 60mm x 38mm, 4-Pin Connector, Compatible Part Numbers: 9G0612P1M031, PMD1206PMB3-A, U1295, JT782, KR024: Computers & Accessories

EDIT... if that is directly compatible I was excited that it might be plug and play... but now realize that the wires are likely to be much too short for that given the picture above. What is the proper way to extend fan wire leads?

Last edited:

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
I also assume from the picture above that I will need to put some sort of new shrink wrap around the fan leads to protect them from the heat from other components? What is that and how is it done?

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
If I take these fans that don't seem to do what I need for the MD1000 but put them in the J23 instead, is it more likely they will work for me there? Disregard airflow considerations for this discussion, right now I just want them to "work". Since they would be going in the J23 chassis and not into the power supply, the system would surely stay on, not throw an error, and probably spin the fans down to their mid or slow setting when the chassis is unpopulated, correct?

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
The pinout in the drawing is incorrect. I recently bought the Sanyo Denki fans that I pointed out from mouser.com and had to wire them into ends. I've been meaning to do a writeup about it since I got pictures but I do know that the pinout that yo have in the picture there is wrong.

At best you'll have to put new ends on it or make adapters.

hifiaudio2

May 13, 2015
Yeah the pinout in the pic is from the md1000 fan (red) and then the fan I was sent. Looks like the fan cuts down too low for the md1000 to register it still spinning and it just cuts off. Those connectors are wrong for the j23 anyway. What connectors should I get and from where? Can I just take the pins out of the current connector and out in the new one? And yes, please do post pics of the right pinout.

Dajinn

Jun 2, 2015
Anyone know which rails this used? I'm interested but only if I can rack it.