Dell H710 showing as a Fusion Controller

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I bought 4 x Dell H710 controllers on eBay and 1 of the 4 is showing up in VMware as a "LSI / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS Fusion Controller" where I need it to show up as a "LSI / Symbios Logic Dell PERC H710" Adapter controller within vCenter.

Does anyone have insight on how I fix this so that this card is showing up correctly?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I bought 4 x Dell H710 controllers on eBay and 1 of the 4 is showing up in VMware as a "LSI / Symbios Logic MegaRAID SAS Fusion Controller" where I need it to show up as a "LSI / Symbios Logic Dell PERC H710" Adapter controller within vCenter.

Does anyone have insight on how I fix this so that this card is showing up correctly?
I'm not sure if this will work the same on an H710, but on an H700 I downloaded the firmware update file from the Dell web site (Windows version), used WinZip to extract the FWxxxxx.rom file, and put it on a bootable USB stick along with the Megarec utility. I then flashed the card with "megarec -cleanflash N FWxxxxx.rom" where N is the controller number (make sure you're using the right one!). Don't use any of the SPD/SBR tools until you've tried flashing the Dell firmware.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Great idea! What is the best way to figure out the controller number for the N argument?

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Great idea! What is the best way to figure out the controller number for the N argument?
Megacli has a "list adapters" type of command - look in the help. Note that various LSI tools can report different numbers for the same controller, so always check with the specific utility you are using, to make sure you don't clobber the wrong card.