Dell H310's going cheap cheap cheap!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
Have you been able to get one less than their $69.99 price? I ask because the last two I bought, I got for $55/each. And the two before that were $35/each, so these don't seem super cheap to me.

Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Personally for LSI 2008 chipset HBA's over the last year, I don't bite unless they are $40 or less.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Yup, they took a BO from a mate of mine for $50. I thought considering that they are basically brand new with free shipping it was a decent deal. I haven't seen anything lately on the bay for the H310 where the shipping/ import doesn't kill it :)

TimboSlice

Apr 19, 2016
What's the best guide on flashing these to IT mode? I've seen a number of different guides that follow different processes. Haven't tried this before.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
FYI.
10 units left. 4 competing offers.
I just offered seller 3 x $50 each.
Seller initial counteroffer $62,50

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I had a look on the bay this morning, there's still nothing any better for the H310, especially when you factor in shipping and duty coming to Canada. I'm thinking they will likely take $55 ea for 3 of them, which considering they are basically brand new, is not too terrible, in fact quite a fair price. I'm not sure what my mate went in at to start, but obviously less than the $50 he paid, plus I think they had plenty of them in stock at that point too. Limited number and lots of offers is going to drive up their value in the sellers eyes :)

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I note that picture shows a power cable. I bought several H310 from another seller without the power cable for my C6100.

Is the power lead necessary to run the RAID card?
Is it a generic lead that can be purchased easily and wiring would match a C6100 motherboard?
Or would I have to search for specific Dell part.
Many thanks in advance. :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I only see a 8087 breakout cable with a 2into1 SATA power adapter for the disks, and an act/LED cable. To answer your question though, no, the H310 draws its power from the PCI-e socket on the mainboard :)

Reactions: Boddy

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
The "power cable" is actually a SFF to SAS drive cable. Don't need it if you're running SATA drives.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
I only see a 8087 breakout cable with a 2into1 SATA power adapter for the disks, and an act/LED cable. To answer your question though, no, the H310 draws its power from the PCI-e socket on the mainboard :)
Thanks pricklypunter. So the red & black cable is an act/LED cable? Is it handy to have one on a C6100?
What does it actually do? (sorry for the dumb question, I have no idea).

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
The "power cable" is actually a SFF to SAS drive cable. Don't need it if you're running SATA drives.
Thanks zhoulander for you feedback.

Just to clarify. If I don't need that SFF cable, then how does one connect SATA drives to the card?
(Through the backplane?) Sorry I haven't actually set up ,y C6100 yet, it's for a future project.

I actually have some SAS SSDs (HUSSL4010ASS600) I was planning to use.
What cabling is need to use these drives.

I need to go through my hardware (e.g. MB) and see what cables I would need to source before C6100 bits dry up. My MB has thin blue cable, but I'm unsure if I need other cables to get it to work)

Many thanks in advance for your help.

ttabbal

Mar 10, 2016
From the images on a quick Google, it looks like those use the same setup I have, individual SAS/SATA connections. You need a SAS->SATA breakout cable. It connects to the SAS port on the card, and gives you 4 individual drive connections on the other end. That's the only wiring you need for them to work. Plug the HBA into the MB, breakout cable to the drives. There are other options like sideband, activity LED, but they aren't required.

Boddy

Oct 25, 2014
From the images on a quick Google, it looks like those use the same setup I have, individual SAS/SATA connections. You need a SAS->SATA breakout cable. It connects to the SAS port on the card, and gives you 4 individual drive connections on the other end. That's the only wiring you need for them to work. Plug the HBA into the MB, breakout cable to the drives. There are other options like sideband, activity LED, but they aren't required.
Much thanks ttabbal for the feedback.
Just to clarify, I would need a forward breakout Sff 8087 cable to connect either SAS or SATA drives to the card?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Thanks pricklypunter. So the red & black cable is an act/LED cable? Is it handy to have one on a C6100?
What does it actually do? (sorry for the dumb question, I have no idea).
Remember the days when you connected your hard disk LED on the front of your PC case to a couple of pins on the mainboard so you could watch the LED twinkle every time the hard disk was accessed? That was called a hard disk activity LED, and that is just what this is. It's just on the HBA/ controller card instead of the mainboard :)