DELL FLEXBAY - Rear Backplane for R720XD: SAS Expander or SAS Direct?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kim Bjoern

Feb 26, 2020
Denmark
Hi all, I've ordered a Flexbay / rear backplane chassis for my DELL R720xd (0JDG3).

I understand that its intended use and installation is an "extension" of the main SAS expander (mine is a single 12x3.5" LFF).

However, I've seen other postings that it is possible to connect the Flexbay to a dedicated HBA, which is my intention (main chassis on 6Gbs controller for ZFS passthrough, rear chassis for ESXI datastore).

Question: Will the Flexbay connect as a SAS expander, or SAS direct?

I'm hoping to use a 12Gbs SAS3 controller with SAS3 SSD disks.

Thanks in advance - Kim

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
It is intended to be connected to the front drive bay SAS2 expander.

It will work without any system errors with it directly connected to a SAS2/3 HBA and will support 12Gb connections. This is how I have mine currently setup with those hot running Micron SAS3 drives that were on sale a year or two ago.

You will need the power and control cables to connect it to the server and I don't remember if the control cable between the front and rear bays are needed to work with it directly connected to the HBA.

Kim Bjoern

Feb 26, 2020
Denmark
Perfect neb50!

It is intended to be connected to the front drive bay SAS2 expander.

It will work without any system errors with it directly connected to a SAS2/3 HBA and will support 12Gb connections. This is how I have mine currently setup with those hot running Micron SAS3 drives that were on sale a year or two ago.

You will need the power and control cables to connect it to the server and I don't remember if the control cable between the front and rear bays are needed to work with it directly connected to the HBA.
I've ordered a kit with all cables; will check if I can leave one out.

Thanks - Kim

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
You will need the one that goes from the rear bay to the mainboard along with the power cable. The control cable that goes from the front to rear bay may not be needed (but will work if plugged in.)