Dell CS24-TY (C1100) BIOS update question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I have been running a Dell CS24-TY (known as the C1100) for the past year. It has some VERY old BIOS and BMC firmware on it, which I wanted to update. Mostly for more stability (seeing a good handful of QPI errors) and for hopefully better BMC functionality. I seem to be running S993A14 BIOS and (wait for it...) .01 revision BMC. However, when looking through Dell Support for those versions, neither show up as previous releases. Which makes me wonder if I have a "mainstream" C1100 or a DCS model.

I've seen numerous threads about C6100s being force updated to standard Dell BIOS packages, but only a few on the C1100. While Dell's forums have some messages of some people doing it through BIOS recovery and some through AFUDOS, I became concerned with performing those functions when I came across this thread: C1100 cloud server no POST after bios update - Cloud Services - Forum - Cloud Services - Dell Community

Apparently someone pointed out the MAC information on the BMC pointed to a Quanta S99K model server (which wouldn't surprise me since Quanta builds a lot of Dell equipment), however their newest BIOS release is 3A03 for that - which is lower than what I have on my server by initial glance.

Am I over-thinking this situation and force-flash my BIOS to 3B22 (most stable confirmed from forums) or try flashing the Quanta BIOS?

talsit

Aug 8, 2013
I've read a lot on the C1100 BIOS upgrade and from what I've read, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. There doesn't appear to be any groundbreaking new support in the newer BIOS and since the CS24-TYs were primarily custom configured, Dell disavows any support for them.
I've read many instances of bricked servers due to upgrades. With the number of CS24-TY's out there, you might be able to find someone selling the motherboard cheap then try flashing it, if it bricks swap the BIOS.
The only issue I have with my old BIOS is the temperature monitors will not display on the BMC but temperatures are available (reportedly) using an IPMI command though I haven't tried that.