Dell C6220 Gen1 Nodes in a C6220 Gen2 Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
Recently purchased a C6220 I chassis but when it arrived it turned out to be a C6220 II chassis..at least that's what listed when I found the Dell "refurbished service tag." It looks like a gen 1 case with 100% gen II internals. Apart from the outside of the case this thing is brand new. Looks like it's never seen the inside of a rack..ever.

I had also ordered two gen 1 nodes and I would prefer to keep them as I felt like I got a good deal for the pair. However, the gen 1 nodes ONLY show an amber light at the front of case power button and the fans run @ 16K 100% of the time. I'm writing this at the other side of my house from my server room and I can hear it. The gen 1 nodes "work" in the gen 2 chassis, I've successfully installed various OSs to test but the damn fans are so loud I cannot be in the server room for any extended period of time. I would prefer to keep the gen 2 chassis because the damn thing is brand new, plus the gen 2 would allow for gen 2 nodes in the future and that means E5-2600 V2 CPUs.

Things I have tried to get the fans to slow down:
-Updated BIOS to latest
-Updated BMC to latest
-Updated FCB to latest
-Tried IPMIUTIL from Windows to lower fan thresholds
-Tried IMPITOOL from Debian to lower fan thresholds
-Booted into Debian on the off chance the sensors were recognized by the fancontrol and pwmconfig packages and I could adjust them via software

I initially thought I didn't have the right syntax for the IPMI utils but then I checked the BMC site on the node and they've correctly set the speeds I had intended..it's just the fans are listed as "Critical" I'm assuming b/c of the mismatched nodes/chassis.

Anyone have additional ideas before I return this gen 2 chassis to the seller? The only other ideas I had were a pwm fan control device inside the chassis but I don't want to do anything janky, I want to have a "real" fix from the beginning before I start migrating VMs and such.

Sorry so long, let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thank you ahead of time.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
Been messing with this for damn near 24hrs..then I post asking for help and it fixes itself..

Okay, I just got it working. The front bezel power button/light is still amber but who cares. The fans have slowed down.

After updating the BIOS/BMC/FCB I logged into the IPMI to check the sensor status and they were still listed as "Critical" but where there had been a red X on the under the Status column there's not a green check mark. Also it had not occurred to me that maybe the chassis was also checking the 2nd node's settings, BIOS etc. I pulled out the 2nd node, which has been powered off since I installed it and the fans slowed down instantly.

Going to flash node 2 with all the things and then use an IPMI tool to set a proper threshold. I'm just happy to know that gen 1 nodes work in a gen 2 chassis.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
And now after ejecting the nodes and restarting both the amber front light have turned green. All is well.

I realize this thread is me responding to myself...twice.. so please delete it unless someone else would find this info helpful.