Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Firmware Updated

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Hi seang86s,
Here you go:
Dell PowerEdge C6100 BMC/BIOS/FCB Versions

I believe these are meant to be installed via a bootable usb stick.

Regards,
Thanks to you both. It seems that the Bare Metal install from Microsoft System Center does not work with the Dell branded BMC firmware. I updated 3 nodes on my C6100 to 1.3 before testing this feature out and SCVMM never finishes the "Deep Discovery" when you try to kick off the install. My 4th node was never flashed because I didn't have any memory for it until recently. Lo and behold, with the 1.19 MegaRAC firmware, SCVMM has no trouble with "Deep Discovery" and kicks off a bare metal install just fine. I downgraded one other node and it too works fine now. 1.32 which was release a day or two ago also doesn't work. Now, I have to figure out the latest MegaRAC firmware that does work.

Rain

May 13, 2013
I'm trying to update the BIOS on a few c6100 nodes I've just received to v1.70 but I'm having some issues. I've seen this mentioned in other threads, although either I have glanced over the solution or no one has explained how they fixed it:

The c6100s I received all have BIOS v1.62, which isn't on Dell's official list of previous versions. Maybe its something custom for a DCS customer?

In DOS, I can force-flash v1.70, but I really want to avoid bricking anything.

Has anyone else received a c6100 with BIOS v1.62? Any ideas on how to proceed getting it up-to-date?

Thanks in advance.

amlife

May 30, 2013
I'm trying to update the BIOS on a few c6100 nodes I've just received to v1.70 but I'm having some issues. I've seen this mentioned in other threads, although either I have glanced over the solution or no one has explained how they fixed it:

The c6100s I received all have BIOS v1.62, which isn't on Dell's official list of previous versions. Maybe its something custom for a DCS customer?

In DOS, I can force-flash v1.70, but I really want to avoid bricking anything.

Has anyone else received a c6100 with BIOS v1.62? Any ideas on how to proceed getting it up-to-date?

Thanks in advance.
i'm on the same boat as you are. It seems like we have to update via DOS as Windows executable doss not work. you are lucky to have 1.62 my BIOS is 1.04 which was the first release and I'm having issues to make it to work with 10GB Ethernet NICs. Other nodes with 1.5 BIOS version works fine, I will be forced to update one node and see how that works.

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
I'm with both of you, I received my 6100 yesterday with 2 nodes on 1.62 and 2 nodes on the 1.04 original BIOS.

amlife

May 30, 2013
yes, Upgraded using the command afudos 6100v170.ROM /p /b /n /c /x and it was successful.

I did not upgrade the BMC as last time I did it it changed the GUI to Dell like Style and i was unable to login, too me a while to figure out a way to take BMC image backup from different node and apply it on the effected node to revert the image back

Everything works so far, I will be heading to the colo to check if my 10GB NIc works now.

Last edited:

Rain

May 13, 2013
I can also confirm that forcing v1.70 onto an older c6100 XS23-TY3 works. Currently, I've only updated one node (I want to see how it goes for a while before updating the rest).

After performing the BIOS update, I updated the BMC to v1.32 (in Win7 w/ Dell's official executable) without any problems either.

I did not upgrade the BMC as last time I did it it changed the GUI to Dell like Style and i was unable to login, too me a while to figure out a way to take BMC image backup from different node and apply it on the effected node to revert the image back
The default user/password for the Dell-branded BMC is root/root.

amlife

May 30, 2013
Thanks guys. I actually tried root/root but that did not work, I also did reset the password via ipmi tool but still won't let me in, then I had to revert back (using IPMI tool copied the image from another node & restored it) then I was okay.

But today I was able to upgrade my nodes from 1.04 & 1.50 to 1.70. I also was able to upgrade BMC from 1.18 (I think) to v1.32 which is mandatory! (I used bootable BIOS to do both).

I had a problem adding 10GB Nics to my Nodes. (as soon I add them my RAID (Mezzanine Daughter Card) will not show up on the system any more).

Yesterday I spent about 6 hours switching cables, removing / adding RAID cards ... etc and today after BIOS upgrade the issue continue to occur.

Finally after another 4 hours I managed to solve the problem, (it was quite silly) after finishing the BIOS upgrade you have to take the NIC card off the system, start the system ON, shut it off then add the card again and wallah it's working.

It seems like there was IRQ conflict of some sort causing all of this to happen.

Right now, I have only one node having issues with BMC (it will not take any IP address I type in) I saw a guy on dell forums having the same problem and he solved it by re-doing the firmware using windows utility. (I will try it tomorrow).

With these amount of problems, now I understand why they are being sold for relatively cheap price! now I can write a book of 30 pages with the amount of issues I encountered so far. I would really not recommend these type of servers to anyone unless to get them fully upgraded, with full RAM, RAID and Disks all configured by the seller or buy them with warranty and support from Dell.

Adam

Last edited:

pyite

May 15, 2013
You guys are my heroes, I had two XS23-TY3 units that wouldn't take the X5650 CPU's I bought for them.

The BIOS/BMC files in the poweredgec link above include both the afudos utility and the latest bios version, what a fantastic resource. I put in an E5520 CPU and a single memory stick (must be in memory slot 5 apparently) and that was good enough to boot and install the 1.70 BIOS.

Once that was done I was able to install 192GB of memory and dual X5650's and it seems to be running well so far.

Thanks again,
Mark

mulder

Feb 9, 2013
Getting 'inventory collection failed' when trying to run the update (W2K8 R2). Will reboot first & try again. Will try a floppy update if I get the error again.

Regards,

Edit. It looks like a floppy update is in order.

Last edited:

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
Can some1 help me?
Got the problem with updating the BMC and bios?
Curently i have:
1 Node with Bios v1.70 and BMC v1.33 / BMC doesn't work, I can assign IP, subnet etc. In bios it show it's working, but I can't connect.*
2 Node with Bios v1.47 and BMC v1.33 / BMC only in "watch only" mode, I can launch it and see what's going on, but can't send any keyboard combination nor mouse.
3 and 4 Node have Bios v1.47 and BMC v1.17 / Everything works.

*firstly the BMC was upgraded to 1.33, then the Bios was upgraded.

In the end... can sm1 tell how to roll back Bios and BMC or how to make BMC work on 1st node?

Fallen angel

Jul 18, 2016
Last edited:

hanoos

Nov 8, 2017
I know this might be an old thread - I have a question about expired SSL certificate which causing console access to fail..

I have installed the ipmitool and able to run commands directly on the remote IPMI unit.

Is there anyway to regenerate the SSL or fix the certificate expired issue?

The error showing up :

IPMI URL (https://10.3.6.27) of the selected server is not available. Please recheck URL/IP in IPMI connection properties and Firewall rules on the DCImanager server

There is a problem when connecting to IPMI:
ep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] dci_ipmi DEBUG ipmiproxy.cpp:439 IPMI proxy v2: Searching table for ipmi_id='1'
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 About to connect() to 10.3.6.27 port 443 (#95)
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 Trying 10.3.6.27...
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 Connected to 10.3.6.27 (10.3.6.27) port 443 (#95)
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 skipping SSL peer certificate verification
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 NSS error -12156 (SSL_ERROR_WEAK_SERVER_CERT_KEY)
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 The server certificate included a public key that was too weak.
Sep 7 05:47:47 [2408:1147] rpc DEBUG mgrrpc_unix.cpp:53 Closing connection 95

Any assistance would be appreciated.