Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Harvey

Jun 15, 2016
Hi everyone,

I saw a lot of work and fun with the C6100 during the 67 pages of this topic. I do have a question about taking the nodes out.

The MB’s connection to the rack looks like a pci-e 16x (has the same number of pin) or close to the HP ATOM system.

Has anyone tried to connect the node trough a pci-e riser? The idea behind this is to disassemble the original rack and put the nodes in a 4U chassis or tower while keeping the node frame and the original power management and then, cool this thing without small fans.

My main concern about the C6100 is the loud, obviously with 1U fans, it’s going to be hell in my office, the form factor of the nodes is quite small, better than 4 times E-ATX MBs...

Thanks!

Injector2

Dec 14, 2014
I'm running into a strange issue with my C6100, only node 1 detects a HD. only node 1 detects a HD, none of the other nodes detect a HD in any slot. I took the thing apart (btw whoever was in charge of the fan wiring design, needs a new job) and swapped the SATA cables between node 1 and 2 and then node 2 saw the HD fine but node 1 didn't. between nodes 3 and 4 there nothing, no HDs detected on either.
After all that I decided to bypass the mid-plane and connect from the HD back-plane directly to the SATA connectors in the blade, this also yielded the same result, no HD detected.

I think I may have a custom config that disables all the other disks or the HD back-plane is shot, in which case I may as well buy a new chassis because I don't know of anyone selling parts for these.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Has anyone been able to benchmark the c6100 at 10 gbps using the X520 Intel card? I can't seem to get it past 2 gbpsr running on VMware.

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
I don't have the server nearby but I recall the x520 being connected to a JKM5M which is like a PCIe x8. Do you believe some boards are x1?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I do. Im 100 percent sure I read a post on the forums here where someone was getting like only 1x speeds with their infiniband mezz card. They inspected their board and noticed it said x1. I can't find it now though. I just don't know which part numbers would have that slot.

Mkvarner

Jan 3, 2015
Anybody tried using other Dell caddies in the C6100? The C6100 trays are hard to get cheaply, but the C1100/C2100 trays are cheap. Just can't find any information about if they would fit or not.

Also. Would it be possible to buy a 3 node server and do the following without any extra components (HBA/RAID card)?

Node 1: 6 drives
Node 2: 3 drives
Node 3: 3 drives

Rain

May 13, 2013
Also. Would it be possible to buy a 3 node server and do the following without any extra components (HBA/RAID card)?

It is possible. Each node has 6 SATA II ports (off the ICH). If you use as flat/thin SATA cables as you can find, you can route the other three ports from the interposer back to the other three available SATA II ports on the board -- it's a tight fit.

Reactions: Mkvarner

ssomm

Aug 4, 2016
Hi there, this is my first post. I bought a refurbished C6100 with 3 nodes because I need to test Proxmox + Ceph server. Every node has 48 Gb RAM, 2 x E5645, 4 hdd 1Tb SATA, X520-DA2 nic, no controller. The performances are not bad but I need absolutely to increase them so I need other drives (at least 2 per node as I have 2 SATA connector free). How to power them? Thanks in advance

ssomm

Aug 4, 2016
I started with the second question, sorry. The first was: is it possible to have 6 hdd per node (4 in the bay and 2 "internal") in a three nodes configuration? Or I need additional cables like sff-8087 that I've seen in this gigantic post?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
The C6100 wiring as far as I know doesn't have any spare connectors to utilize say to get additional power from a molex to sata power adapter. You would have to make modifications and tap into power to power the internal drives. Having 'internal' drives is just going to be a matter of where you put them, you'll have to get creative if you want to put 6 more 3.5" disks in the empty node bay, if you plan on adding SSDs then it's not as much of a concern. You don't need SAS cables you'll just need SATA cables hooked up directly from the disks to the node onboard ports...and again you'd have to get creative with how you route them.

Your biggest concern is power to the drives. I believe there is info somewhere in this thread about it regarding a 5V power tap

Using info from the ServeTheHome forums, I built a 5V power tap . I bound the two 5V rails and two grounds from the internal USB header to a donor 4-pin Molex to SATA power converter.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
Anybody tried using other Dell caddies in the C6100? The C6100 trays are hard to get cheaply, but the C1100/C2100 trays are cheap. Just can't find any information about if they would fit or not.

I don't own a C6100 but may if I can get one cheap enough.

Looking at the midplanes there "appear" to be two mini-sas connectors per node. I would "guess" there are four cables with mini-sas connectors coming from the drive backplane hooked to three drives each. If my guesses are correct, you should be able to move the mini-sas cable from the plug on the empty node to the second plug on the node you want 6 drives on it. Cable lengths may dictate which slot you use for "node 1".

But, like I said, I don't have one to look at. Everything is guessed by looking at the pictures in Dell PowerEdge C6100 3.5" SAS SATA Backplane System Board 2TJPP No Cables and Dell 047X9Y 47X9Y MidPlane Motherboard System Board

Reactions: Mkvarner

Tetz

Aug 20, 2016
I don't own a C6100 but may if I can get one cheap enough.

Looking at the midplanes there "appear" to be two mini-sas connectors per node. I would "guess" there are four cables with mini-sas connectors coming from the drive backplane hooked to three drives each. If my guesses are correct, you should be able to move the mini-sas cable from the plug on the empty node to the second plug on the node you want 6 drives on it. Cable lengths may dictate which slot you use for "node 1".

But, like I said, I don't have one to look at. Everything is guessed by looking at the pictures in Dell PowerEdge C6100 3.5" SAS SATA Backplane System Board 2TJPP No Cables and Dell 047X9Y 47X9Y MidPlane Motherboard System Board
Each motherboard sled has two corresponding mini-sas ports. One of those ports is can use the four port SATA breakout cable and the other port is only wired for two ports. If you put a regular four port cable in it, only the first two SATA connectors will work.

Tetz

Aug 20, 2016
What about the 6105 standard version? Would they work with the regular 6100 nodes?
I know this is a pretty old post but I have searched everywhere and haven't found an answer to this question. In fact, this is the only time I've seen the question asked.

I bought (2) two node C6100 (both with the PIC16 FCB), and in the quest for a newer FCB, took a chance on buying a new C6105 chassis. It has different part numbers for most of the items inside and has a slightly different backplane but the C6100 nodes will slot in and work just fine. My FCB came with FW ver 1.18.

SuperDale007

Dec 17, 2016
Does anyone have any idea which way to go with this? I've had my 4 node working just fine for almost a year now. Woke up this morning and Node 2,3 & 4 's power button are flashing amber, and the nodes aren't running. Node 1 is running fine. If i push the power button (on 2-4) it will change to a amber/green flashing...if I long push the button it turns back to amber only. I pulled all the nodes, checked cables, blew out some dust and reinstalled...no joy. Weird that all 3 are doing this...all at the same time. Suggestions? I do have dual/redundant PS's.

Dariusz

Jul 16, 2016
Hey

What Cooler can I use with this server? I bought CooolerMaster 212X one but they do not fit the screws. Can any1 suggest anything?