Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
So, today i've got 2 nodes with BMC v1.33 (dell) and 2 nodes with BMC v1.17 (American...). BMC v1.33 doesn't work as they should be, while 1.17 works.
Can someone give me idea of how to roll back BMC version or where to get the 1.17 version?

P.S. don't update if everything works great... :|

Last edited:

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Try LSI themselves who make the "Dell" cards. I believe its a 9280 8e under the LSI branding. Thats the Raid Model. I brought one. As for brackets i had no luck finding 8e Low profile (or full height) brackets in Australia. The local LSI distributor did check for me though. I ended up buying a cheap outdated LSI HBA 8e and swapping brackets in the end. Must get around to selling on the HBA.

The external cards are hard to find brackets for unlike the Internal ones :(

Maybe this will help. Just a quick eBay turned this up. Depending on shipping may be cheaper ($190 plus shipping) and the price is right. Low profile. Same size as my 9260's and 9280's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-LSI00188-PCI-Express-Low-Profile-Ready-SATA-SAS-9200-8e-Controller-Card-/221289935059?pt=US_Computer_Disk_Controllers_RAID_Cards&hash=item3385e870d3

http://www.lsi.com/products/host-bus-adapters/pages/lsi-sas-9200-8e.aspx

Heres a high profile bracket to go with it if you want to swap between systems. $15 (plus postage of course)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LSI-SAS-9205-8e-Regular-Full-Height-Bracket-ONLY-/231047901803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35cb87326b

Last edited:

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Try LSI themselves who make the "Dell" cards. I believe its a 9280 8e under the LSI branding. Thats the Raid Model. I brought one. As for brackets i had no luck finding 8e Low profile (or full height) brackets in Australia. The local LSI distributor did check for me though. I ended up buying a cheap outdated LSI HBA 8e and swapping brackets in the end. Must get around to selling on the HBA.

The external cards are hard to find brackets for unlike the Internal ones :(
Yeah I am focusing on finding the 9200-8e's right now. Not sure I need a 9280 8e, that is a LOT more expensive. :) I am just hooking this up to a LTO6 autoloader, so it doesn't need to be anything crazy.

Just seems near impossible to find both high and low profile brackets for it. I need to switch it between 2 machines over the next 6 months, one needing high profile, and the other needing low profile (the C6100).

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
I did link a 9200 8e with low profile bracket and a single high profile bracket.

Edit: I couldnt find brackets when i last searched so i would move reasonably fast if you decide to go that path

Last edited:

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
So, today i've got 2 nodes with BMC v1.33 (dell) and 2 nodes with BMC v1.17 (American...). BMC v1.33 doesn't work as they should be, while 1.17 works.
Can someone give me idea of how to roll back BMC version or where to get the 1.17 version?

P.S. don't update if everything works great... :|
Anyone got any ideas?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I know there was a thread, can't find it at the moment, where you could do up to 6 drives per sled in a 12x3.5" chassis. That would be by going to each bay via the backplane. Is there any way you could say run two drives in one bay (ie: 2x 2.5" SSD) and bypass the backplane? I imagine there the issue is power to the drives, but there's probably a way to deal with that. Would like to try to get an SSD for vFlash, one for vSAN with 2x 3.5" HDD if possible. If not 1+1+1 would work, by hey, why not ask :)

hminz

Oct 9, 2013
May I ask what hardware RAID cards are you guys using with C6100? I'm considering running RAID 1 for each node if I get the 12 disks variant, or RAID 10 for the 16 disks variant.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
LSI 9260/1 8i's personally. They come in a few different brandings as well. If i remember right i have a HP branded and an IBM branded version of the 9260 plus a pair of 9261's (which i dont recommend due to cable clearance issues.

zepanv

Oct 11, 2013
Has anyone tried running ESXi 5.5 on a 6100 yet? According to the vmware site 5.1 was the last supported version.

With 5.5 not having the physical ram limit and the decent pricing on 6100s stuffed full of ram it may be time to hop on the bandwagon.

Thanks!

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Been running fine since about January ;).

Note that if you're having a failing drive you might get an IPMI hang during start. And if you're trying to test something like PernixData FVP that all nodes have the same UUID which can cause issues depending on the software. FVP is the only one I've hit so far.

xexe

Sep 30, 2013
Hello every1,

Anyone know how to reset login/password of IPMI, if it was forgotten?

tby

Aug 22, 2013
Snellville, GA
set-inform.com
Missing Memory?

All of my nodes came with 24GB (6x4GB) but one is only showing 20GB in the BIOS. I've re-seated all of the DIMMs on that node but haven't done anything else yet. Has anyone else seen something like this?

PersonalJ

May 17, 2013
All of my nodes came with 24GB (6x4GB) but one is only showing 20GB in the BIOS. I've re-seated all of the DIMMs on that node but haven't done anything else yet. Has anyone else seen something like this?

Swap the memory out, if it persists you likely have a bad DIMM slot.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
24GB is 6x4GB, so basically one DIMM is not working/not seen. Load up Memtest86+ from a usb stick. It should show you which DIMM is not getting seen by the system. Then you can troubleshoot from there.

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
I had a similar issue on one of my nodes where 1 DIMM slot was non functional. I swapped out memory and it still persisted. Pulled the CPU associated with those DIMM slots and carefully inspected the socket pins and saw that there was a slight bend on a couple of the pins. Straightened the pins and this fixed the problem.

I also received one node where the CPU had been pulled and some of the TIM had squished out onto the socket retention plate, which fell onto the pins during transit. (No LGA covers were re-installed by the seller when they shipped the unit) If I hadn't have spotted this before installing the CPU I may have had additional issues.

So if the DIMM swap doesn't work, carefully check the LGA pins.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
I had the exact same issue with one DIMM not being seen. I managed to find it eventually. Bad RAM stick

TimeFreedom

Oct 16, 2013
SAS 2.5 Drives

What do I need to use 2.5 SAS HDDs on the Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 besides the SAS Backplane?

Thanks in advance,
TF