Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jared

Aug 22, 2013
I got the cables in today for my pcie raid card. They are 1m because that is what came with the LSI board, so that's what I ordered.

It seems like .75M cables might have been a better pick. How are you guys routing these suckers? When I boot this node the fans ramp up really high, pretty quick.

I just have them looped at the back for now. Maybe I should fold them tightly instead and have them flat against the side of the node where the mezz card goes?

+1 jared. This thread is the best resource I've seen for anything ever.

Here is a link to the node. Can anyone recommend a better configuration? This is my first time (that's what she said.)
http://www.subproto.com/wiki/images/7/7c/Cloudysmurf-node1.jpg
Hey Pimpsmurf

I saw your pic, and I must say, I think i understand why those fans would ramp up and stay up=)

Those cables are kind of like little brick walls for your air flow.

You might want to get the shorter ones, but as for placement I think you good, its just that extra slack blockin the airflow that is keeping those fans runnin for their servers life.

What card did you get for that slot?

Here is a good resource to find a short cable for your specific card model, if not to purchase then at least to get a good part number: Cables

They seem to have a .5m cable that would probably let your fans work easier on your server due to less restriction possibly.
Unless dba or patrick or some of the other super smart guys here knows how to route the ones you have with out blocking air =)

--
Jared

idea

May 19, 2011
The easiest and most reliable method is to enter the service tag into the Dell web site. If the site does not understand the tag, it's a DCS.
I guess I will have to bug some eBay vendors to check the support tags one-by-one

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Has anyone found any alternatives to the 3.5 inch drive sleds (part 8TV68)? $25 (when you include shipping) per caddy is pretty expensive.
Take the plastic out of the blanks. They work just as well as a drive sled. Just without the pretty lights.

I have 4 drive sleds and 12 drives. I just unscrewed the plastic tray in the blanks and replaced it with a drive.

I would have had to ship them to Australia. 8 of those buggers would have cost me a couple of hundred dollars. So i decided to try it with the blanks. Works fine.

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Pimpsmurf thats so many levels of bad i want to cry. Thats an airflow killer for sure.

Better suited cables are a must

I got ones similar to this

Free Shipping 3ft Mini SAS SFF 8087 36P TO 7P Sata HDD Hard Drive Cable Adapter | eBay

Each Sata port has two very thin cables and the netting runs almost to the end of the cable so it keeps things nicely together. Much better on the airflow front than what you have. I brought mine with the SaS cards (LSI 9260's) though and they all seem to be almost exactly the right length.

I just looked up the number on the sticker and found these are the ones i have Very little spare cable which is only a good thing for airflow :)

Amphenol 422763500002 Mini SAS TO 4XSATA FAN OUT Cable SAS Sata Raid Cable U | eBay

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Are any of you guys running 2.5" SSD's in 3.5" chassis? How is the mounting? Just getting ready to order a couple of these at home.

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Oh great.. Those look awesome.

Is the memory really this expensive relative to the price of an entire system? Looking to increase from the included 96GB to 192GB (24 Slots Populated vs 48 Total x 4GB). Looking at $90/4 dimms, $540 just for the memory.

I guess a lot of people just order whole chassis when wanting more memory, or is there another cheap source out there somewhere for memory?

PimpSmurf

Aug 4, 2013
I paid $135 for 24GB of ddr3/1600 ECC on eBay. It came in a bubble mailer! :(

Buying one with more RAM is probably the cheaper route, but I only wanted 48GB of RAM on my primary node.

I will likely buy shorter cables, but I just spent $50 getting these here so I could actually do something other than stare at the unit.

Has anyone adapted the LSI Raid card to the SAS backplane for indicator lights and such?

Last edited:

Clownius

Aug 5, 2013
Sadly my early C6100 came with 2GB RAM sticks rather than 4GB sticks. Meant every slot was populated.

I upgrade one node to 48GB using 12x4GB sticks. They set me back $22.50 each so $270 for that node.

The other Node i upgraded to 96GB using 12 x 8GB sticks. Those cost me around $55 each from memory so around $540.

Its not cheap but i wanted more RAM on at least one Node. I put in the offer for 4GB and 8GB sticks at the same time and both got accepted. So i ended up adding RAM to 2 Nodes. I now also have 24x2GB sticks of RAM i dont know what to do with lol. Some will be spares.

doofoo

Aug 28, 2013
Ugh.. Going back and forth with a few different vendors. So far I can't get service tags out of them, they just say they aren't supported by Dell. Has anyone with DCS C6100's (service tag not recognized by dell website) been able to update BMC, etc? I just want to make sure I can use IPMI and have no major issues, not being able to upgrade sucks.

Got a reply from one vendor.

Lookup lists:

WCYH11Base, Server, DCS 6100, V11, 3.5, Data Center Solutions
81TFG1ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)..., SERVER, SERVER CHASSIS..., 6100, V11, L10, 3.5

It shows up via the dell service tag lookup, but says Data Center Solutions.. Are these upgradeable? On the dell site, it shows Ship date as 7/3/13.. This can't be right? Maybe it's when they sold from the leasing company to the vendor who has it? Drivers show BIOS, BMC firmware, etc. Just want to be sure I'm good to go.

Last edited:

jared

Aug 22, 2013
Woot...got my server..and the HP DL caddies fit perfectly even WITH the EMI gasket.

Dang....one of the black side case handles broke off....that sucks i kind of liked that handle, and cant find the part number anywhere online to replace it.

Dang....My service tag is completely missing?....looked all over and cant find the 7 digit code anywhere on this thing!
--
Jared

edit: not sure why wordskim linked the HP DL caddies like that..but..those aren't the right ones. The first post has the correct ones in case anyone wonders.

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Did anyone ever uncover the odd performance provided from the l5530 chips in the c6100 chassis? Here is the article I'm referring to:
http://www.servethehome.com/value-recycling-dual-intel-xeon-l5530-l5630-cloud-comparison/

There appears to be a significant performance advantage between the l5520 and l5530 when the hp chassis is used. When the c6100 was used, performance was nearly identical between the two.
There was a thread here on the topic if you search