Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
iSCSI boot on the C6100's is a no brainer and certainly installing ESXi to an iSCSI target couldn't be easier. I'm running my C6100 in prod entirely diskless.
Can't say the same for XenServer though, that b*tard has been fighting me for the last few days.

Installing ProxMox to iSCSI target is also very clunky, but I still might take a crack at that.

Lately I have been using mostly Samsung 830 and 840 Pro SSDs in the C6100. In the colocation most of the drives are Intel 320 160GB drives. I also have WD Red 3TB drives that I am using for backup targets. Certainly nothing fancy and I do want to get an iSCSI boot setup working for the home lab.

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
BThunderW, is it possible to get a little write-up about the ESXi iSCSI diskless boot setup? I haven't had time to get through the vsphere auto-deploy docs yet to see what it is all about (if that is what you are using).

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com
I didn't use auto-deploy as I don't have that in my license (I think that comes with Enterprise+)

There's really nothing to it. I simply mounted the iSCSI LUN via the Intel iSCSI configuration utility at boot and ran the ESXi install from a USB attached CD.

I created 4GB LUNs for each instance. Pretty sure that's way too big, but I'm using Nexentastor (COMSTAR) as my iSCSI target so it's thin provisioning the LUNs anyways.

BThunderW, is it possible to get a little write-up about the ESXi iSCSI diskless boot setup? I haven't had time to get through the vsphere auto-deploy docs yet to see what it is all about (if that is what you are using).

jared

Aug 22, 2013
You guys.....are FREAKIN amazing

Thanks for such fast responses.
I am so glad I found this forum!
--
Jared

PimpSmurf

Aug 4, 2013
I got the cables in today for my pcie raid card. They are 1m because that is what came with the LSI board, so that's what I ordered.

It seems like .75M cables might have been a better pick. How are you guys routing these suckers? When I boot this node the fans ramp up really high, pretty quick.

I just have them looped at the back for now. Maybe I should fold them tightly instead and have them flat against the side of the node where the mezz card goes?

+1 jared. This thread is the best resource I've seen for anything ever.

Here is a link to the node. Can anyone recommend a better configuration? This is my first time (that's what she said.)
http://www.subproto.com/wiki/images/7/7c/Cloudysmurf-node1.jpg

Last edited:

mulder

Feb 9, 2013
Getting 'inventory collection failed' when trying to run the update (W2K8 R2). Will reboot first & try again. Will try a floppy update if I get the error again.

Regards,

Edit. It looks like a floppy update is in order.

Last edited:

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Has anyone found any alternatives to the 3.5 inch drive sleds (part 8TV68)? $25 (when you include shipping) per caddy is pretty expensive.

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Not to many, might only need 4 more than what I have to accomplish my particular need. Right now I am trying to weigh the total costs to see if its worth it. They are going to be for SAS drives, so I already have to spend another $100 on top of it for the mezz card. =/

jared

Aug 22, 2013
Not to many, might only need 4 more than what I have to accomplish my particular need. Right now I am trying to weigh the total costs to see if its worth it. They are going to be for SAS drives, so I already have to spend another $100 on top of it for the mezz card. =/

I hear ya there on the cost....
I opted for the 2.5" sas thinking it would save me in power and some resources, but in the end, the "specialized" options with this chassis adds up fast and more so than I originally anticipated.

My server arrives tomorrow, and im already planning into the high $1k on additional options and parts to purchase put in. =D

These C6100 servers and the options they introduce are like lays potato chips, you just cant have only one!....AArrg
--
Jared

PimpSmurf

Aug 4, 2013
These C6100 servers and the options they introduce are like lays potato chips, you just cant have only one!....AArrg
--
Jared
Yep. I know I don't need more nodes, but I am finding it hard to resist! :)

Now if I can get the thing to boot from this USB media without taking the raid card out, I would be very happy.

jared

Aug 22, 2013
Yep. I know I don't need more nodes, but I am finding it hard to resist! :)

Now if I can get the thing to boot from this USB media without taking the raid card out, I would be very happy.

Hehe, I am in the same boat as you, as soon as this server and all my parts arrive, I will be running the esxi 5.1 via usb once I can figure that out as well.
Any more of these servers show up at my house....ill be needing vcenter!

I can see this happening every 4 years with dells technology swap on Google and Amazons server farms.

Only 3 more years to go for the C6220s haha

idea

May 19, 2011
Is there ANY way to differentiate between a DCS and non-DCS C6100? This link tells me there is no physical differences between the two:
What is the difference between Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) Systems and Dell PowerEdge C Systems | Dell US

Curiously, it also lists the XS-TY3 among DCS models, which is the model this thread was created for. So how do some of you have supported service tags, and some don't?

I am very interested with getting 4 nodes that have supported service tags, and are non-DCS/non-custom, so I may upgrade BIOS firmware. Another reason I want to swap them out is I want the node trays with the mezzanine cutouts.

jared

Aug 22, 2013
I am not sure anyone else covered this yet here, and someone correct me if I am wrong.

If you are planning on doing 2.5" SAS SSDs be aware of how expensive those 2.5" SAS SSDs can be.

I was trying to be as cost effective as possible and realized a little to late that there is a huge cost jump between 2.5" SAS HDDs, and 2.5" SAS SSDs

After shopping around for 2.5" SAS SSDs and discovering just one of them at 200gb can cost 3x what I paid for my server...with a low ball park of $400 on the cheap side... :eek:
edit: I found some 2.5" SAS SSDs for $345 cheapest I have found so far... at ALLHDD.com who seem to be the cheapest everything all around.

I about started banging my head on the wall because I didn't think this through before I started considering 2.5" SAS SSDs for my raid...haha..

So after further research, and because I have never had to do this research until this specific moment, I figured out that apparently according the scsi trade association, SAS controller can be backwards compatible with SATA connectors but..not the other way around.

The image below is the difference in the connectors themselves between SAS and SATA.
Apparently you can plug your SATA drive into a SAS controller....but obviously NOT a SAS drive into a SATA controller, as seen by the image below.

This is good...because if I understand correctly, I can actually setup SATA SSDs ( MUCH CHEAPER!! :cool: ) into to my SAS controller, while utilizing "cheap" storage SAS hdds.

Hopefully someone can confirm and approve this before I start looking at fancy SSDs =)
edit: ok not that fancy...but..$75 is cheap for a 120gb SATA3 SSD Here

--
Jared

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA

This is good...because if I understand correctly, I can actually setup SATA SSDs ( MUCH CHEAPER!! :cool: ) into to my SAS controller, while utilizing "cheap" storage SAS hdds.

Hopefully someone can confirm and approve this before I start looking at fancy SSDs =)

--
Jared
Confirmed. In fact, my entire data warehouse architecture is based on large numbers of SATA SSD drives attached to SAS controllers.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Is there ANY way to differentiate between a DCS and non-DCS C6100? This link tells me there is no physical differences between the two:
What is the difference between Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) Systems and Dell PowerEdge C Systems | Dell US

Curiously, it also lists the XS-TY3 among DCS models, which is the model this thread was created for. So how do some of you have supported service tags, and some don't?

I am very interested with getting 4 nodes that have supported service tags, and are non-DCS/non-custom, so I may upgrade BIOS firmware. Another reason I want to swap them out is I want the node trays with the mezzanine cutouts.
The easiest and most reliable method is to enter the service tag into the Dell web site. If the site does not understand the tag, it's a DCS.

jared

Aug 22, 2013
The easiest and most reliable method is to enter the service tag into the Dell web site. If the site does not understand the tag, it's a DCS.
Also I believe that every DCS model can possibly be different physically because they are custom made to fit specific needs of certain clients of dells.

Straight out of dells mouth"
"When cloud computing is the core of your business and its efficiency and vitality underpin your success, the Data Center Solutions (DCS) Division is Dell’s response to your "unique" needs."

emphasis on "unique"

This means that unless the seller who sold you your server was able to tell you everything specifically about your server )if they bothered to find out), you wont know whats going on with it. Not even Dell will assist you once they hear you are calling about a DCS model and there is no "listed service tag" on it for them to pull up in there support system. They find it easier just to say " Sorry sir, that is a Custom DCS model and we have nothing on it because they can all be different. For some reason Dell didn't see it fit to label and list what DCS models have what in them and why they might be different than the TY3 models.
Some parts are obvious like the processors and raid cards, but Im not sure about how far the Motherboards themselves are tweaked.
I think you might be able to find out more about your system in the bios, than what Dell Support will offer you.

It could be anything from a "different firmware" to something physical on the MB itself.
But you will most likely find more help on this thread than from Dell in the end anyways even IF it is a DCS model. =)