Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
Just wanted to say thanks to all the people posting this excess (in a good way) of info on the C6100. I have one en route that should be here early next week and will be added to an existing homelab. Excited to get started with this box and while I've started to read through this thread I'm sure it will take a while since it's now at 67 pages! Specific thanks to Patrick for initiating this and getting the ball rolling.

I don't know how I've made it this far into my own homelab without knowing about STH or maybe I was just oblivious.

Thanks to all!

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Is there some trick to getting these things to recognize SAS disks? I have the 450GB Hitachi drives in the Great Deals thread populating these and they aren't being recognized and it doesn't seem like they are even being powered on. What is the precise jumper setting on the backplane?

jfoor

Feb 4, 2017
I was under the impression that the ICH10R doesn't support SAS drives, only SATA but I could be mistaken.

The LSI SAS 1068e Daughter Card - Dell Part #Y8Y69 would.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Yep I was. I googled and saw that the onboard SATA controller doesn't support SAS disks, as you said. The drives showed up with the random Adaptec cards I got with the servers, luckily enough. I wonder if they have their own IT mode... They're 8708EM2's I believe...which are LSI SAS1078, no thank you lol.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Do the HP 2.5" drive sled activity/hdd leds line up with the backplane? I know people use them as a cheap alternative to C6100 sleds but wasn't sure if they still had proper LED functionality.

Injector2

Dec 14, 2014
I recently upgraded my nodes with new mobos that have the AST2050 chipset. Now I have 4 bare bones (with heat sink) mobos sitting in a box. Does anyone need spares? $100 takes all 4 out of my hands.

Remember the AST1100 chipset does NOT do video KVM, only text

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I recently upgraded my nodes with new mobos that have the AST2050 chipset. Now I have 4 bare bones (with heat sink) mobos sitting in a box. Does anyone need spares? $100 takes all 4 out of my hands.

Remember the AST1100 chipset does NOT do video KVM, only text
How would you know if you have the AST1100, physical node inspection or on boot? It amazes me that the release nodes like that.

Injector2

Dec 14, 2014
How would you know if you have the AST1100, physical node inspection or on boot? It amazes me that the release nodes like that.
Yep, take a look at the pic below. You'll see a chip with ASPEED on it and AST2050 right below it.

Or if you try to open the KVM console (after getting Java to work) and it doesn't load anything.

sentania

Dec 4, 2016
Over the last two months, I've picked up a pair of c6100s. I bought one from Mr. Rackables, and the other from pdneiman. The first I bought from pdneiman in early april, and got it up and running without any issue.

The second c6100 is also great. What I have noticed is that the model reported by IPMI/motherboard post/etc on the nodes from pdneiman report as EC2C109, and the Mr. Rackables nodes - report as c6100.

Does anyone know the origin of the EC2C109 nodes? The system tag of the chassis shows as valid on Dell, but the node tags do not. All Mr. rackables have the same service tag, which also checks out.

All 8 nodes have the latest BIOS/BMC/FCB firmware - and seem to be equally funcitonal. The only complaints I have are is that the EC2C109 models don't work with the "bmc" tool, and don't seem to auto detect the need for 1.35V DIMMS when PC3L is installed.

Given the EC2 portion, I suspect they could be systems built for amazon, but I have no idea, was planning to fire off a message to pdeiman, but was curious if anyone has has any info.

Utking

Nov 12, 2016
Hey guys!

I'm having some problems with my nodes, they really really struggles to boot.

As when powering up, they seem to reset themself around 20 times before they fully boot the node, the BMC is available all the time though.

Do you have any ideas as to what this can be?
There doesn't seem to be any erros in the logs, only one shows up as error 70h, oem reserved.
And also one of my nodes won't boot at all, doesn't matter what slot it's in.

I've tried different power supply's as well :S

anotherandrew

Dec 1, 2018
Does anyone have information, links, guides, etc. on the XS23-TY3 mainboard relating to power-on issues? I have two of these now that are not obviously damaged in any way, but do not power on. Finding replacement blades is getting more and more difficult. I'm sure there is nothing seriously wrong with the motherboards, but without even a basic service manual it's almost impossible to even attempt to repair.

The most recent failure occurred yesterday morning; no smoke/smell, just powered off and refuses to power on. SEL doesn't show anything (the BMC still responds) and like I said... nothing obviously wrong. chassis temps are good, ambient is a cool 22C, and the other three blades continue to work just fine. Took my only remaining spare blade and slid it into the bay and I was back up and running, but I'd love to get these fixed if possible.