Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I used the Supermicro hard drive screws and they seemed to fit well. Here is an amazon link for some.

Amazon.com: Supermicro Screw Bag and Label for 24x Hot swap 3.5-Inch HDD Tray Cable (MCP-410-00005-0N): Computers & Accessories
Just as follow-up to this, I ordered the above SuperMicro part number from Provantage; their part number was SUP91J0. 100 pack of screws was $3.56. Shipping was like $6 via FedEx.

Thanks for the part number. Worked like a charm. Maybe this info can be merged in with the other info on the 1st page of this thread?

Jeff

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
You inspired me to check the service tags on my c6100s. The info is in the BIOS, so when I booted one of them this morning, I wrote down the service tag string.

Checking on the Dell web site, I have next-day warranty through 10/2014 - another nice bonus on top of the free SAS cards! I initiated the transfer process, entering "unknown" as the previous owner. I'll let you know how it turns out.
I got the e-mail today from Dell that the transfer of both clusters was complete. :)

You should be seeing one soon as well.

Jeff

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Just as follow-up to this, I ordered the above SuperMicro part number from Provantage; their part number was SUP91J0. 100 pack of screws was $3.56. Shipping was like $6 via FedEx.

Thanks for the part number. Worked like a charm. Maybe this info can be merged in with the other info on the 1st page of this thread?

Jeff
Added.

Pretty exciting on the transfer bit. Still need to figure out how to do that.

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Got my 2 noder. Opened it and all i can say is: This is interesting!

If somebody got pieces for these machines contact me!
Will buy: Upper Power Distribution board, Midplane 47X9Y and the cables for between those!

Last edited:

dba

Feb 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA
Check ebay item 160987485157, my PDU board auction. It's listed at $25 plus shipping, but if you buy it I'll send you an invoice for just $2 plus shipping. The $2 is just to cover eBay/PayPal costs.

I *may* have the PDU cables as well. I bundled them for electronics recycling, but I don't think that I turned them in yet. If I can find them, they are yours as well.

Also, I have the midplane as well. It's auction item 160996861412. Another $2 for fees, but of course I'll ship in the same box.

Last edited:

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
If s0lid isn't going to pick these up, I will. Let me know...

Check ebay item 160987485157, my PDU board auction. It's listed at $25 plus shipping, but if you buy it I'll send you an invoice for just $2 plus shipping. The $2 is just to cover eBay/PayPal costs.

I *may* have the PDU cables as well. I bundled them for electronics recycling, but I don't think that I turned them in yet. If I can find them, they are yours as well.

Also, I have the midplane as well. It's auction item 160996861412. Another $2 for fees, but of course I'll ship in the same box.

dba

Feb 20, 2012
So here is what I have:

1) FCB and FCB to PDU cable
- Taken by legen for $2 plus shipping. I'd hand-deliver, with a week long side trip to Malmo and Copenhagen, but I'm low on frequent flier miles right now.

2) Upper and Lower PDU assembly plus midplane assembly. Offered to S0lid for $4 and shipping.
- Upper PDU
- Lower PDU
- PDU bridge board
- Midplane board
- 2x cables from PDU to midplane
- 2x cables from PDU to... something
- 1x small cable from PDU to FCB
- 2x cables from midplane to FCB

That leaves the following spare parts available to STH folks who want them for their own use:
3) Midplane assembly
- Midplane board
- 2x midplane to PDU cables
- 2x midplane to FCB cables

4) Front-panel on/off switch board and plastics - left and right.

dba

s0lid

Feb 25, 2013
Tampere, Finland
Anyone ever tried to run this system without SAS backplane?
It's a part i can sacrifice for improved airflow, no need for any disks in this system :)

@dba ygpm

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Whatever you got left over, I will take off your hands... :)

So here is what I have:

1) FCB and FCB to PDU cable
- Taken by legen for $2 plus shipping. I'd hand-deliver, with a week long side trip to Malmo and Copenhagen, but I'm low on frequent flier miles right now.

2) Upper and Lower PDU assembly plus midplane assembly. Offered to S0lid for $4 and shipping.
- Upper PDU
- Lower PDU
- PDU bridge board
- Midplane board
- 2x cables from PDU to midplane
- 2x cables from PDU to... something
- 1x small cable from PDU to FCB
- 2x cables from midplane to FCB

That leaves the following spare parts available to STH folks who want them for their own use:
3) Midplane assembly
- Midplane board
- 2x midplane to PDU cables
- 2x midplane to FCB cables

4) Front-panel on/off switch board and plastics - left and right.

dba

markwo

Mar 29, 2013
Just got my C6100 today. It has the PIC16 fan board with 5 pin fan connectors (only 4 pins used). Dell shows my service tag to have a ship date in January 2013, which is hard to believe. Also shows no warranty coverage at all. The unit looks brand new, no dust anywhere including fans. Off to investigate further..

mulder

Feb 9, 2013
Hi Markwo,
Here are the details on my system.

SYSTEM SUMMARY:
Shipping Date: 9/26/2012
Warranty information: Not available

COMPONENTS
Parts Number:
322M9

Quantity:

Description:
ASSEMBLY..., BASE (ASSEMBLY OR GROUP)...,
SERVER, SERVER CHASSIS..., 6100, V01, L10, 3.5

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
FWIW, I entered Unknown as well and they successfully transferred the C6100 I have to my account.

What did you enter for the prior owner? I tried "Unknown" and got a rejection. I'm now planning to just call support instead of using the web form.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
FYI new BMC firware at Dell, ver 1.30.

Installed and afterwards in the BMC Server Health the temps for CPU and MB are showing unavailable. Have not power cycled the box yet, thinking maybe they will come up after a complete power down...

legen

Mar 6, 2013
Sweden
FYI new BMC firware at Dell, ver 1.30.

Installed and afterwards in the BMC Server Health the temps for CPU and MB are showing unavailable. Have not power cycled the box yet, thinking maybe they will come up after a complete power down...

Might be the same issue i had when i tried the 1.30 BMC update from windows. Basically had to use SOCFlash in DOS to be able to "complete" the update. Untill i did that the BMC showed lots of unavailable values and behaved really odd.

Does any one know if it is possible to use 8 memory sticks in the C6100? The manual shows configurations of 1,4,6 and 12 DIMM-sticks only.

seang86s

Feb 19, 2013
Could someone post up a picture of the LSI 2008 SAS mezzanine board? Does it have the same connectors as the 1068 based board?

dba

Feb 20, 2012
It has exactly the same connectors as the 1068e board, and in the same location. Visually, the 2008 board has a heatsink underneath while the 1068E does not and the 2008 version has three white rectangles showing when viewed from the top while the 1068E has two.

Could someone post up a picture of the LSI 2008 SAS mezzanine board? Does it have the same connectors as the 1068 based board?

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
So I have some questions about the included rails that the primary ebay sellers offer. Are these the real Dell rails Y3DX1? What is the minimum rack size (post to post) to use them? Do they fit on square holes?