Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 2U 4-Node (8 CPU) Cloud Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

biggles

Jun 10, 2011
Gothenburg, SWEDEN
I really need some help with my c6100 (Dell C6100 XS23-TY3, 3 HDD per server). I'm using all four nodes and everything works great. Until one hard drive started to act strangely. the third hard drive in the ZFS pool was suddenly offline and I couldn't get it to go online. I thought it was broken and replaced it. Everything worked great for about a week and then this drive also was taken offline (Hitachi SAS 4GB). Order a new one, but this time the server wouldn't accept a new drive. I then moved the harddrives and the server to another place in the chassis to rule out the backplane. Same error. The cables from the SAS-card looked a bit beaten up, so I replaced them with a brand new cable package. Still no go. Now I really do not know what to try. Any suggestions?

Rain

May 13, 2013
@biggles And you're using the LSI mezzanine cards for SAS? I can't necessarily help, but I also had some problems with Seagate 4TB SATA drives in my C6100. I had two Seagate 4TB "Desktop" drives both kick the dust (drop outs, ect... same symptoms as yours) in the 6100 while having no problems with any of the WD drives or SSDs also in the system. The Seagate drives work perfectly fine in other systems though, and both passed a full multi-pass badblocks test with flying colors. I didn't diagnose further than this, though.

If possible, I'd say run a node with different drives and see if the problem persists. I'm not saying the drives are bad, but if its anything like what I experienced, the C6100 seems to "dislike" some drives.

biggles

Jun 10, 2011
Gothenburg, SWEDEN
Thanks! I am using the LSI mezzanine card. Strange thing is that the other two drives work perfectly fine. It's like that SAS/SATA path is to slow... I'll try them in a different server.

hsben

Sep 10, 2014
Anyone have idea why my pci express slot wouldn't be working with my LSI SAS1068E? I pulled it out of my freenas box, and am trying to set it up in my C6100. It doesn't seem like its getting power, and I'm hoping that I'm just missing a bios setting.

Ack, my random old Dell card is working. I cant imagine I somehow broke the LSI card while moving it over.

Last edited:

MACscr

May 4, 2011
Has anyone written anything to automate the process of getting the jviewer.jnlp file for remote access? Its a pain in the arse getting in my opinion.

hsben

Sep 10, 2014
Does anyone know if the 0Y3DX1 rail kit comes with inner rails for the C6100? I need to get a rail kit and the pictures on eBay are not helpful

c6100

Oct 22, 2013
USA
Does anyone know if the 0Y3DX1 rail kit comes with inner rails for the C6100? I need to get a rail kit and the pictures on eBay are not helpful
I agree, I ended up using the rails since I couldn't figure out how to put them on [emoji30]

Dirt Johnson

Aug 11, 2015
California
pdneiman has a bunch more C6100's in stock again, as well as a few barebones C6220's, but those are out of my price range. However, my C6100 should be delivered today so I can join the club. I have been reading a lot of the C6100 articles on here for a while, as I missed the end of the first sell off of them and had regretted waiting to buy one. But it worked out, now I have a four node, 2.5" drive one coming with L5630's instead of L5520, dual PSU, rails, 96GB RAM, and eight trays with 30GB SSD's in them for $1070. I will finally be able to start my home VMware and KVM lab to go with my Cisco lab. I am very excited. Thank you to everyone that has been contributing to these forums. I feel that I have a first good starting place learning from all of you.

nickveldrin

Sep 4, 2013
Has anyone written anything to automate the process of getting the jviewer.jnlp file for remote access? Its a pain in the arse getting in my opinion.
More people should be trying to do this, because that 512bit certificate is nearly impossible to hit with any modern OS and web browser. I am going to have to build an older linux VM to see if that will work better for me to access the IPMI.

Check out this post on stackoverflow at the end of the thread. Will also check that out after i build a linux VM.

java - Supermirco IPMI KVM: remote connection without webbrowser - Stack Overflow

AvantiWade

Oct 30, 2015
Hello,

I need to ask a favor of the C6220 users out there. I'm building a C6220 for a client and we received a DCS version. I need to find a part for it but I cannot look up the service tag because its a DCS build. Could one of you send me your Service Tag number so that I can look up the parts list that exists in these server from the Dell Website?

I need to get the 1u Riser card that has a mini sd card slot as well as the BBU bracket/holder that attaches to the front of the node for the LSI 8265-8i raid card. With out a service tag I am unable to look at the parts manifest for these servers on dells site.

Greatly appreciate any help you can provide,

Wade

gtallan

Apr 25, 2013
Minnesota
It is a huge pain accessing the IPMI web interface on these, at this point. My solution, if you can call it that, has been to download and use an older version of Seamonkey specifically for this purpose (and switch off auto updates). It's easier than setting up a VM anyway...

More people should be trying to do this, because that 512bit certificate is nearly impossible to hit with any modern OS and web browser. I am going to have to build an older linux VM to see if that will work better for me to access the IPMI.

Check out this post on stackoverflow at the end of the thread. Will also check that out after i build a linux VM.

java - Supermirco IPMI KVM: remote connection without webbrowser - Stack Overflow

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Is this just a matter that the older hardware hasn't been upgraded to use TLS and is still using SSLv3 (which isn't supported in most browsers these days)...?

Easier than maintaining a separate installation IMHO is using something like Firefox or Palemoon portable with the security.tls.version.min value in about:config set to zero; that'll allow you to still access SSLv3 sites. I recommend Pale moon in particular since it has an extension called Pale Moon Commander that will give you very fine-grained control over which protocols and cipher suites you can use which is very handy.

Similarly if you don't want your portable copy interfering with your standard copy of pale moon, find your Palemoon-Portable.ini file and uncomment the following like so:
Code:
[Environment]
;(multiple istances)
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1
...or just modify your FF/PM launch command line to add -no-remote.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Hello,

I recently bought a C6100 2 node unit. I'm trying to kick the tires and testing it. I'm not able to slide out the nodes. Per my understanding, all I need to do is to unscrew the latch, press and hold while sliding out the node. I'm able to do that with the blanks but not the nodes. Am I missing a step or could it be these nodes are jammed in the chasis for some reason

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Finally figured out the trick. The latch wasn't properly releasing. pushed it using a small screw driver and I heard the click and I was able to slide it out.

parapsychotic

Apr 2, 2016
I got an Adaptec ASR-5805 RAID card. It is too long but fractions of an inch. The mini-SAS connector hits up against the heatsink of the second CPU and the card won't fit in.

I got this card specifically because I wanted one that support hardware RAID 5, has a battery, and works with VMware. I could have sworn I saw C6100s for sale with the 5805, so I thought this card worked and fit.

Does anyone have any tips on PCIe RAID cards under $100 that would fit? I can't use mezzanine cards because they seem to only support RAID 0, 1, 10.

(Also, this might fit if the mini-SAS connector was smaller and came up at a right angle, but I can't see to find a cable like that).

6100-raid.jpg

Sbravener

Apr 15, 2016
Greetings all.
IS there a newer variant of the 6220 that is on the VMware hardware list? I want to build out an ESXI 6 network but I don't want to break the bank with new hardware. I have a 6100 that I know is not on the HCL but I love the form factor of it. I want to update my lab and be able to test ESXI 6 along with all the bells and whistles.
I have thought of switching over to HP but they don't have anything comparable to these awesome boxes. I DO like the idea of just going to a full blade enclosure but those prices add up quick.

Thoughts?