Dell C6100 XANADU?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Hey guys,

I found a deal for a fully loaded C6100 Xanadu-XS23-SB (4 sleds, 8 cores and 64GB RAM / sled) for $700.

Is this worth it?

My intention is to use it for an ESXi 5.5 server and I really want passthrough functionality to work (mainly to passthrough a M1015 storage card(s)).

anybody know of a data sheet for the Xanadu vs normal XS23-SB model ? (the seller is telling me there is a slight difference).

spyrule

I realize it's DDR2, but considering the price for that many cores and a total of 256GB of RAM, to be used as a home based server that would do the following :
1 Node = Xnology NAS with the M1015 card for storage (it supports iscsi, cifs, etc), 1 node = Windows 2008 R2 server for an AD/Hyper-V server, and the remaining 2 nodes as ESXi servers each for running VMs for doing certifications and a few minor servers (mostly linux web host).

Unless of course someone can point me to a similar deal with a newer chassis that is similar in modernised specs, but that is no more then $800 AFTER shipping to Canada. This server is 1.5hrs away and I can drive to pick it up, so it would save me a lot in shipping alone.

spyrule

What I'm really curious about is if this system supports passthrough, since that's the reason for looking for better hardware in the first place (my current "server" is an AMD A8 FM1 processor and mitx mobo that doesn't support passthrough at all).

So that's where I'm coming from.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
If you have free power that's a good deal.

Totally don't have any idea on Vt-d but I thought that came in around the nahalem timeframe? I don't think the E5400 series chips have Vt-x w/ EPT.