Dell C6100 2.5" SAS Drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
For whatever this is worth..

xByte Technologies - Item Listing

They have some silly prices on SAS drives for the C6100.

I ordered 16 of the 900gb SAS drives for one of my C6100's for a total of about $1150 shipped. I didn't think it would fly, but you never know. Sometime these things slip by and they happen.

I got a call this morning stating that the $69 price for each drive was for the caddy only.. Gasp! He offered to discount the drives to $375 each for my trouble, and make it an even $6k for the drives, but I said no thanks.

Anyway, if there is something there you like, maybe it's worth a shot ordering something on the hopes that it might ship, or you get a call like me offering a discount. I didn't research the prices, so I am not sure if $375 for a 900gb 2.5" SAS is good or not. I just know that it's a lot more than $69, and this is for home use at the moment. Once I have the millions rolling in, I'll consider more expensive hardware :)

The guy that called claimed that the drives were brand new pulls and offered a 1 year warranty, even though the machine they pull them from comes with a 3 year warranty from Dell.

Jeff

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
$468 for those 900GB 2.5" SAS drives now.
They are $468 now, but he offered to let me have them at $375 each.

They don't have the C6100 listed under their servers, but If you pick the Dell 710, the same drives show up, only with higher prices and different internal part numbers.

Jeff

Smalldog

Mar 18, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I know this isn't the right thread, but I didn't really want to start a new one.

What's everyone using for memory in their C6100's and where's a good source for inexpensive memory?

Vista was selling the 4gb DDR3-8500 for $10 each, but allegedly their stock ran out and now they're $15 each. Funny, because I ordered 24 of them and they have the same or similar test dates on them as their original $10 ones.

Anyway, I am looking to possibly move up to 8gb modules if I can source them inexpensively.

Jeff

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've found Hynix 8gb rdimms on ebay for as low as $42/each - $50/each without shopping too aggressively. Still more expensive than what you are looking for but you can get 48gb in 6 dimms.

There is a huge advantage in cooling by having just 6 dimm slots populated. With all 12 populated airflow becomes more troublesome with modified fans.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I did Samsung 8GB for the Colo'd C6100's. Managed to find someone locally that was moving their equipment from a DC here to the same DC I was using in Las Vegas. The 4GB Kingston units that I'm using in the lab were just shy of $15/ea thanks to some best offering on ebay. Got maybe 24 of them so a bit of a discount.