Dell C1100 BIOS and virtualization?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
I am pretty new here, and currently deployed - but I have been lurking about for a while trying to find some answers.

I bought a CS24-TY when they first started hitting eBay - currently it is overseas with me, being used as a "morale server" where we stream movies, share files, and host a few games. For myself a a couple more - we use Hyper-V to virtualize a couple Linux boxes and experiment.

Currently I am running the OS (Server 2012) and VMs off a Intel SSD in Bay 1. Bays 2/3 are loaded with 2Tb WD RE4s, and Bay 4 is empty.
I am starting to run out of storage space on the drives, and hoping to put at least one more drive in - but want to load all 4 bays with RE4s and boot ESXi off USB.

However, I am being told that is not possible because the only way to boot from USB is if all drives are unplugged? I am currently at BIOS revision 3A14 so I am trying to update it to 3B22 whenever I hit a port and download the BIOS - but still unsure as to the flash procedures. I am also not sure if that will solve anything for the USB boot.

Essentially, I am hoping to boot ESXi from USB, into a FreeNAS VM that will have all 4 drives as a ZFS share. Then, the remaining VMs (pfSense and Server 2012) will run from their stored location on the ZFS share. If I can put the SSD internal to the server, I would do that - but cannot see how I can tap power to add another drive. And I haven't come up with any other creative ways to run my server.

Is this at all possible with the hardware I possess, or am I better off just keeping the SSD and booting ESXi off that?

Navy_BOFH

Aug 2, 2013
Sorry for the long delay in replying - deployments can be hell!

That is actually (nearly) exactly what I was looking for! I have the PCIe slot free so that would be excellent.

The only downside is that my 120Gb SSD would go to waste then, but I can re-use it as a boot drive for my upcoming Microserver Gen8 build-up.