Dell business laptop quality issues?

Have you had a major problem with your Business Dell laptop lately? (ie: within 2-3 years)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

spyrule

Hello Guys,

I'm just curious if any of you who manage large volumes of Dell Laptops have experienced a sudden drop in Quality in their 5x00 series laptops in the past few years?

We have a split of 5400/5700 series laptops, and ALL of them have problems with over-heating, sudden failures, premature battery failures, etc.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed a serious drop in Quality on their business laptops of late?

Marjan

Nov 6, 2016
Where I work, we are using HP business laptops. They also have the issues that you mentioned, batteries dying after few months of usage, swollen batteries, keyboards typing by themselves, overheating, cpu coolers all the at like 50-70%...

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I have to use Dell Precision 5550 for work. And it is quite frankly atrocious.
The CPU idles at around 50°C. Guess at which temperature they decided to ramp up the fan in a single step from inaudible to annoying...yes, it's 50°C.
Other than that, the cooling system can't even handle a single-core load without turning into a jet engine. Let alone all 6 cores. When I first got it, the battery wouldn't charge. Somehow miraculously, that sorted itself out after a while.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I'd just dare to say overall quality has dropped. Still have bunch of dinosaur 10 to 20 yo lappies that are still going and some even have some very decent battery charge level available so you can unplug them and even use for an hour or so. Imagine doing the same trick with laptops from mid 2010s! I tried it with HP, and personally can say it doesn't work as well as it's supposed to.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
The very first thing I did was wipe it and installed my own image. Of course, I had to put theirs back on every time they attempted to "troubleshoot".
Yeah, to make sure you can get any support nowadays first thing you do when you power on - bruteforce bios menu to boot from liveusb and dd the disk image for this very purpose. Luckily most of them don't take as much as few gigs in bz2.

Reactions: Aquatechie

Aquatechie

Oct 29, 2015
Latitude 7490: keyboard & backlight issues, fingerprint reader issues that never got resolved
Latitude 5289: failed right mouse/touchpad button

Last edited: