DELL BROADCOM 57810S 10GBE BASE-T NETWORK ADAPTER

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dsenela

Apr 4, 2019
Anyone have experience with these? Got 2 pcs of off Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/HN10N-DELL-BROADCOM-57810S-10GBE-BASE-T-NETWORK-ADAPTER-CARD-0HN10N/223293526133?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 So far both work fine on my supermicro x9 motherboard, but cannot get either to work with my ASUS workstation motherboard (z170ws) the system just will not boot with these installed. I am guessing some kind of hardware compatibility issue. Any one gotten them to work on other motherboards?

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
I'm not entirely sure about your particular cards, but what I have come across personally is that some non-server boards just don't supply enough juice to the pcie ports or even possibly a PSU issue. Not saying this is the issue with your board, especially considering it is a workstation board, but it is something to keep in mind. Some of these older 10G cards can be quite demanding power-wise.

Other than the above there is also the bios too, possibly a configuration incompatibility etc, or maybe the firmware on the nics, have a look to see if there is more recent firmware for those nics. Too many variables ie tried it in the usual gpu slot? Wish I could be more helpful.

dsenela

Apr 4, 2019
@ Dreece, thanks for the info, I have a 1000w PSU on the workstation with practically nothing else, so that can't be the issue. I have tried all available slots on the board even tried disabling the onboard video. The only thing I did not try is flashing the BIOS on the card. I will do that sometime today to see if it solves the problem (probably look for Broadcom BIOS?).

@ Dave, That is exactly what I thought at first so I tried it on the card. Weird thing is it manages to at least do a POST with the pins covered but then freezes a few seconds into the POST.

Just wondering if it is a general thing with these cards or there are other non dell server boards that can actually work with them.

Thanks guys for your valuable input.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
If you lived down the road I'd say pop over to me cave, I have a few dozen motherboards hiding around here somewhere.
The smbios method as far as I was aware was only ever done with controller cards, didn't think it would apply to 10G nics too, so interesting to hear it actually somewhat posts albeit freezes.

Yes, try the firmware, you're on the right course, at this stage I do not believe there is any known issue with these cards, could simply be an incompatibility with your particular model of motherboard or maybe even the bios revision of the motherboard, you could always contact Asus via the appropriate channel.

If you are able to try it in another workstation/desktop board, and you get the same issue, then you could quite possibly have discovered an issue with this model of nic. In which case you go down in history for being the first 'Googlable case' right here at STH.

Personally I tend to avoid Broadcom for NICs, ever since their vmq issues back in the days I just been 'off' them completely. Sometimes it pays dividends to just dig a little deeper for the extra few pennies to put towards an Intel card ;)

Last edited:

ChrisITguy

Apr 6, 2019
There's nothing "Dell Specific" about these. I've used them in Asus and Supermicro systems before and they work fine.