Dell 710

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
Is it anyway a 1050 ti single fan can fit into a dell 710 chassis? if so what equipment would I need to make this possible? just a pci e slot? or is there more to it? I'm trying to put together a minecraft node for my buddy.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Not really.
I have a "server with gpu"/workstation build in a lian li chassis and a standard atx power supply. For new builds I would use the "gpu optimised" supermicro chassis (743/745/747/835) that have a pdb with gpu power connectors.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Is it anyway a 1050 ti single fan can fit into a dell 710 chassis? if so what equipment would I need to make this possible? just a pci e slot? or is there more to it? I'm trying to put together a minecraft node for my buddy.
The PCIe x16 single slot riser for riser 2 is very uncommon in the R710. There is usually a dual slot PCIe x8 riser there. The x16 riser is Dell P/N GP437. That board should also support PCIe bifurcation (2 * x8) for those who are looking for that feature. That riser card also has the single PCIe slot on the top (the upper slot) so you may run into clearance issues.

Of course, if you don't mind x8 in an x16 slot, this doesn't matter and you can use the regular MX843 riser.

In either case, you need some way to get PCIe power to the card. As long as the R710 has the 870W power supplies and not the 570W ones, the power is available, you'll just to get it to the card with a home-made cable.

An R710 is not exactly what I would consider ideal as a deskside server, either.

Reactions: ELit3

thedriver

May 8, 2016
Australia
The PCIe x16 single slot riser for riser 2 is very uncommon in the R710. There is usually a dual slot PCIe x8 riser there. The x16 riser is Dell P/N GP437. That board should also support PCIe bifurcation (2 * x8) for those who are looking for that feature. That riser card also has the single PCIe slot on the top (the upper slot) so you may run into clearance issues.

Of course, if you don't mind x8 in an x16 slot, this doesn't matter and you can use the regular MX843 riser.
Curious about bifurcation on the R710 and T710 servers. Have you got any link to support for bifurcation on these servers? I've contacted Dell but they really don't seem to know.
Also, how does the riser card support bifurcation if the m'board BIOS doesn't.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
Curious about bifurcation on the R710 and T710 servers. Have you got any link to support for bifurcation on these servers? I've contacted Dell but they really don't seem to know.
You'd need to talk to Foxconn - these system are built to match Dell's requests and I doubt there are a lot of people inside Dell who could answer this type of question. And the ones that could are busy sellling customized versions like the Google search appliance, etc.).
Also, how does the riser card support bifurcation if the m'board BIOS doesn't.
Nothing magic in the riser card - aside from some bypass caps it is purely passive. But the fact that you can substitute one kind of riser (2 * x8) with another (1 * x16) indicates that whatever bifurcation is happening is done down on the main board.

Reactions: pricklypunter