Dell 410 raid controller insight

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
I have an abundance of dell 410's that have the ONBOARD SAS 6/IR Raid Controller ( dell part# HM030) which doesn't seem to support 4x450GB SATA drives it only seems to work with 350GB drives and under. So I'm in search of a fairly cheap controller that will support 1TB + I need about 10 of them any idea what controllers to purchase?

Jan 30, 2016
The SAS6/iR supports drives up to 2TB and a total of 4 drives so 8TB total. What do you use these RAIDs for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ELit3

Banned
Aug 10, 2017
Texas
The SAS6/iR supports drives up to 2TB and a total of 4 drives so 8TB total. What do you use these RAIDs for?

I'm using them for a storage setup I'm attempting to put together each server would hold 4x450GB SATA III drives but when I put the 450GB drives in they don't show up on the configuration but with 350GB drives they do.

SIlviu

May 27, 2016
I can confirm that it works with 2tb sata drives with 6ir.
The downside of this controller is that it supports max 2TB drives sata II and SSD only sata I

Jan 30, 2016
I'm using them for a storage setup I'm attempting to put together each server would hold 4x450GB SATA III drives but when I put the 450GB drives in they don't show up on the configuration but with 350GB drives they do.
That is very strange. Are the 450GB disks from a SAN by any chance? EMC, NetApp and a few others use a 520 sector size instead of the standard 512, if this is the case you’ll need to format the sector size to 512 before using them.

It could be that the SATA III drives might need to be jumpered to run at SATA II speed or the card won’t pick them up. I haven’t seen this first hand but could be worth checking out. I have also seen that the speed of the ports can be set by using a utility so that could be worth looking at also here’s the link I was reading:

SAS 6/iR Integrated SAS + SATA (SSD) Negotiated speed PE1950 - PowerEdge HDD/SCSI/RAID Forum - Servers - Dell Community

The reason I asked what you were planning on doing was if you want to play with CEPH or ZFS with these cards you can flash them to IT mode, I did it in all 8 of my R410s, it also allowed me to keep the PCIe slot free for my 10GB card. I have them all running Proxmox with CEPH with this setup.

If you are interested in it here is a link to an ISO file I compiled, boot it from USB or CD and go into the SAS folder the .bat file needed, the firmware (both IT and IR mode) and the sasflash tool are all in here. The other folders contain the latest BIOS for the R410 and the latest BMC update also for the R410.

Uploadfiles.io - abundant_mussel_dell_r410_upgrade_disc.img
(Link is vaild for 30 days)

All of the 1068e chips i have seen on the SAS6/iR cards have been REV B3 (look at the chip itself to find out, the version is etched on the surface of the 1068e). Firmware's are labeled 1068E, followed by T (for initiator-target, aka IT mode) or R (RAID mode), followed by the revision B1 through B3. The SAS6/iR is an SAS3081ER as far as the hbaflash.bat script is concerned. The hbaflash.bat already has the -o "override" flag so it should not complain about non-matching versions.

Reactions: ELit3