Dell 1500VA 2U UPS (DLT1500RM2U)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
This one is more for the Canadian market given the item location and due to the free shipping. I snagged one of these yesterday for a countered BO of $275US + tax. Not bad at all for brand new with 3yr Dell warranty :)

Dell APC Smart-UPS 1,500 VA DLT1500RM2U

And here's the other one I was watching, just in case my other deal fell through. Anyone in the US looking for a bargain UPS might find this one interesting: NEW APC SMART-UPS 1500RM 2U POWER BACKUP DLT1500RM2U - FREE SHIPPING!

Oh, nearly forgot, if you have one, or get one of these and need a network management card for it, this is the one I picked up yesterday: APC AP9619 SMART-SLOT UPS 10/100 BASE-T 100BASE NETWORK MANAGEMENT MGMT CARD EM

Edit: Caution!! Read my later posts before buying this card for this particular UPS. My advice is not to buy it until I can confirm that this card works with this particular UPS. Obviously if you have one of the older UPS's, this card should be fine with it.

**Update**

@PithyChats is correct, this particular card will not fit the UPS I linked to, so don't buy this card specifically for that UPS. Best I can figure is that APC/ Dell kept the same model number, just upgraded the UPS to a later incarnation. Only the AP963x cards will work with the later DLT/SMT range. To anyone that purchased this card for the DLT1500RM2U because of my link, I can only humbly apologise for being hasty in posting this.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks, just picked up the last APC Net Mgmt card. Been looking for one at a good price.

zhoulander

Feb 1, 2016
Thanks, managed to snag the other one for $250 BO. Picked up the network module as well. Going to outgrow my little 12U rack pretty soon thanks to this site!

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
This one is more for the Canadian market given the item location and due to the free shipping. I snagged one of these yesterday for a countered BO of $275US + tax. Not bad at all for brand new with 3yr Dell warranty :)

Dell APC Smart-UPS 1,500 VA DLT1500RM2U

And here's the other one I was watching, just in case my other deal fell through. Anyone in the US looking for a bargain UPS might find this one interesting: NEW APC SMART-UPS 1500RM 2U POWER BACKUP DLT1500RM2U - FREE SHIPPING!

Oh, nearly forgot, if you have one, or get one of these and need a network management card for it, this is the one I picked up yesterday: APC AP9619 SMART-SLOT UPS 10/100 BASE-T 100BASE NETWORK MANAGEMENT MGMT CARD EM
Just a quick heads up, I am 99% sure that management card will not work with that UPS. The newer SMART-UPS need the AP963X series of cards.

Here is the compatibility matrix:

FAQ

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Will this be able to shutdown multiple servers when power is cut?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
It doesn't shut down anything. The agent software polls it or gets sent a message from it indicating the status. From there, each system manages its shutdown via commands and scripts. One system could shut down others by way of powershell or other commands if you wanted.

But on its own, it doesn't shut them down, no. M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Never used a network managed UPS before so I am not familiar with how it works. I have 2 ESXi hosts and a FreeNAS. I assume to have them all gracefully shutdown, I will need to script something on a server that has the agent software loaded and watch the UPS for power interruptions?

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Yup. I put an agent on the vCenter server and use powerCli to do things like vMotion VM's to particular hosts so I know where they are when they come back up, set the auto startup order, etc. In some cases used powershell or puty to send commands to network or storage equipment to shut down, in the correct order, etc.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Just a quick heads up, I am 99% sure that management card will not work with that UPS. The newer SMART-UPS need the AP963X series of cards.

Here is the compatibility matrix:

FAQ
I see those particular cards being sold with them all the time, so I am fairly confident that they will work with it. Also seen the basic AP9606/ AP9617 being sold with the APC branded version a fair few times too, so unless Dell has done something to the smart slot that I'm unaware of that makes it incompatible, I think it should be ok. What does differentiate them though is the ability to monitor environmental conditions, interlink to a fire control panel etc. The larger 3 phase units have a totally different setup as the management card is usually part of the UPS control itself :)

As for gracefully shutting down, there's two schools of thought here:

The first would be if you have mission critical stuff running, you're probably not going to want a small rack mount UPS anyway, instead you'll be wanting something with at least 4-6hrs run time and possibly a back-up generator as well. Either way, you'll not want to shut anything down unless you have absolutely no other options open to you. So quite often I see UPS's just emailing admin staff and they will make the decision of whether to shut down the system or not remotely.

The other school of thought, and this is where my home lab resides, is where you are not running anything particularly mission critical, but the risk of data or metadata corruption is high or that some other risk is present then requires that you need enough run time to allow a graceful shutdown plus a few minutes extra just in case something is slower than you expected.

The official method to use these UPS's with ESXi involves having the parachute software and drivers installed in ESXi per VMware's guide. There is an unofficial method to achieving the same result, by having a small VM running Linux with a USB port passed through to it and having the client also installed in the ESXi host that it talks to. In the event of a power outage, the Linux VM client receives the notification and runs a script telling the ESXi host to shutdown. It's a little more complex than that, but you get the idea. Google throws up lots of examples of how to do this :)

Reactions: techtoys

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Thanks, managed to snag the other one for $250 BO. Picked up the network module as well. Going to outgrow my little 12U rack pretty soon thanks to this site!
I have outgrown my virtual (in my head) rack already. By the time I get to actually racking my gear (when a netshelter drops in my lap for good money), I'll need another house to put it in. I curse this place sometimes... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: spyrule

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
At present I have mine connect to my freeNAS box via USB and it's working just fine. I'll leave it that way and explore what other capabilities the mgmt card brings to the table.

Hrast

Oct 5, 2013
I have my pfSense router connected to my APC via serial, and NUT running on it (as master) and all the other systems that have their power connected to the UPS (as slaves). I also fear the metadata corruption demon.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
Is this UPS the best bang for the buck? Need to also account for shipping cost on this thing.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Is this UPS the best bang for the buck? Need to also account for shipping cost on this thing.
For the size/ rating and the fact that I got free shipping on it, yes, for me it was a decent deal. The link I posted to the UPS located in the US has a shipping fee listed, but it was also cheaper. Is it the best bang for buck? I would say for what it is, it's a good deal considering the new price. If you only need something rated half that size, it may not be, but only you can determine if the deal works for you or not :)

Duh! Just realised that I'm seeing the shipping fee listed on the US located one, is because I am in Canada. If you are in CONUS, the listing says free shipping :)

Last edited:

spyrule

Sometimes you can get lucky via local sales though too. In canada we have Kijiji (think craigslist), I got an APC SU2200RMXL3U unit for $150, plus a new brand new set of batteries for $200 more. I then offered a bid on an AP9617 card for $20US (incl shipping). So $380 Cdn, and I get a UPS that far exceeds my demand. I'm just waiting for the management card to show up from China in 2-3 weeks, and I can script my shutdown sequence. I just have to figure out how to install/manage shutdown from my NAS (Xpenology), to shutdown my ESXi and a OSX Server boxes cleanly.

Reactions: NetWise

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
The host should be easy enough with something like kitty or plink or another TCL of sorts. The VM's, if you find something other than PowerCLI let me know. I'd be curious how that goes together.

An Kijiji is awesome ;). Except for the Kijijiots.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Kijijiots... LOL. ><:D
Dude. I've only seen Craigslist LISTINGS, and some are... Whew, pretty out there.

But Kijijiots.... Man. They're a different breed.

What's your best price?

I know you're asking $800. But my brother saw one on a farm once for $20 would you take $15.

Will you meet me 150km from your house on Tuesday at 10am? I know your probably work and all but I really need the item ;)

I could write a book.

Reactions: spyrule

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Kijiji is great, depending on where in Canada you are. I love the Ontario sections for example, loads of goodies there that I would love to have. In Winterpeg however, it's a desert when it comes to good used IT gear and shipping anything larger than a shoe box from further afield is scary money. There is, of course, the odd ad that pops up. Something along the lines of 3-5 yr old item, often damaged or abused in some way, but doesn't affect it's functionality. Seller wants $20 less than the new price and won't budge in the belief that someone out there wants it. It's a captive audience, and often their strategy pays off. Completely ignoring the fact that unless you live next door, it's going to cost you an additional $40 in fuel to go collect it :rolleyes:

Reactions: NetWise