Canada (SOLD): Switches! Dell S6100 (64x40G) $450 && Dell Z9100 (32x100G) $750 (USD; obo)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
I have 2 excellent Dell enterprise switches for sale.

Local pickup or buyer pays shipping from Ottawa, ON, Canada. Prefer local sale w/ e-Transfer, but I know it's unlikely. UPS seems to have the best shipping estimates, but you might get dinged with brokerage/import fees.

I originally wanted to sell them together, but they are very heavy so it may not be worth it. But I'll consider it if you want.

Top: Dell S6100-ON $450 USD obo
Bottom: Dell Z9100-ON $750 USD obo

1679851138883.png

Full resolution photo here: dell_switches.jpg

S6100 Z9100
1679851879995.png1679530994517.png

Detailed Info for S6100
  • Fully populated with 4x 16-port 40G blades. I believe the chassis will take 100G blades as well.
  • 2 power supplies installed, both working well.
  • ONIE + SONiC was already installed and left as-is, with a password reset to default. Interfaces show fine.
  • Rack ears are bent. They can probably be bent back but I didn't attempt it.
  • Top cover is missing some screws, so it opens freely. I will tape it shut.
  • No rack rails
  • Was under warranty until July-2022. Could be susceptible to C2000 bug or possibly mitigated already.
  • Has a Microsoft asset removal sticker - Screws may be missing when they opened the case to re-provision the SSD.
Detailed Info for Z9100
  • Has 32x 100G QSFP28 ports.
  • 2 power supplies, both working well.
  • ONIE + Dell OS9 is installed, left as-is. The enable password is: admin
  • Should also run OS10 or SONiC, but never tried.
  • Rack ears are missing.
  • Rack rails are included (I have them in the basement somewhere). Edit: Scratch that, no rack rails, sorry.
  • Was under warranty until Nov-2019. Could be susceptible to C2000 bug or possibly mitigated already.
Notes for both
  • Some non-dell transceivers may need re-programming. Some work, some don't. May be better in SONiC, not sure.
  • With the C2000 bug, if vulnerable, they could fail early or keep running for decades, nobody knows.
  • On some equipment this bug can be mitigated with an oscilloscope and soldering.
  • Both have the super-handy Micro-USB built-in serial console port. (115200 8/n/1)
If anybody would like to see command outputs, or more pics, let me know.

Last edited:

Justin Utherdude

Mar 9, 2023
I'll be interested in the Dell S6100-ON. I may be interested in both, depending on price. I do live in the USA, however. Let me know what you're looking for or if you are interested in sending things south of the border. ;)

Reactions: Samir

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
Selling both to the same person would be ideal actually. The S6100 has only ONIE right now, I was planning to install SONiC before listing it.

I think I have rack rails for at least one of these units, if I can find them.

They are very heavy so shipping is going to be a lot unless you've got a commercial shipping account that I can use.

This weekend I'll get it prepped and figure out where to start with the pricing.