degraded pool in OmniOS + Napp-IT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nubi007

Aug 28, 2017
DE
Hi All,

i hope someone seen a similar issue and could give a hint.
Currently i´m running (again) a Freenas 11 on an old Intel serverboard with 8GB RAM + 2x LSI adapters (IT mode).
On these adapters are 2 pools - 1x RaidZ1 @ 4x 1TB and 1x RaidZ2 @ 5x 2TB. Both pools are optimal, no single error shown.

Because i want to set up also block storage and use FC adapters i would like to switch to OmniOS + Napp-IT.
After setting up, there were no issues importing the RaidZ1 pool. However when importing the RaidZ2 pool, it´s shown as degraded.

Code:
Aug 28 18:25:35 genunix: [ID 353554 kern.warning] WARNING: Device /pci@0,0/pci8086,29f1@1/pci1028,1f0e@0/sd@3,0 failed to power up.
Aug 28 18:32:04 last message repeated 56 times
Aug 28 18:32:09 genunix: [ID 353554 kern.warning] WARNING: Device /pci@0,0/pci8086,29f1@1/pci1028,1f0e@0/sd@3,0 failed to power up.
Aug 28 18:38:44 last message repeated 238 times
This RaidZ2 pool contains of 3 SATA drives and the other 2 drives are SAS. The problematic shown here is the c1t3d0 (WD2000FYYG).

In the next screenshot it shows (!parted) but this happened, after importing the the pools back to Freenas, wiping this disk via CLI and resilvering it back to the pool.
When trying to import the pool in OmniOS the first time, it also showed a "1" for "part" like the seagate.

1.jpg
The only difference i see, is that the "diskcap" is missing a value, but the Seagate has also no value and is working.
Normally it doesn´t make sense, because it works under Freenas, but i switched already the controller ports with the same outcome.
What i researched so far, it could be a problem with the disk label...
Does anyone seen a similar behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Jan

nubi007

Aug 28, 2017
DE
Thanks gea for replying!
I´m prepared to create the pools new.
I want to add 3 disks to create one pool with 2 vdev´s - 2x RaidZ2 @ 6x 1TB and 6x 2TB

However regarding this disk - the error "failed to power up" appears right after the installation of OmniOS is finished. At this time no pool is imported, just the installation on the SSD.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Three options
- a damaged disk
- a power cabling problem
- an incompatibility between a disk and a controller/firmware release.

The last one was an item years ago with the some high capacity disks. A solution was to disable power management in sd.conf for these disks. Propably you are affected by this.

Bug #2091: sd fails to power up some disks - illumos gate - illumos.org
[OpenIndiana-discuss] sd.conf trouble and illumos bug #3220

These were rare cases (I was never affected by this problem). Propably this is why this was never fixed in Illumos to care about automatically.

btw
If your disks are 512n, you should force the to 4k (ashift=12). This can be done either by mixing a 4k physical disk (512e, 4kn) among in a vdev or by editing sd.conf. Otherwise you can have problems replacing a disk with a newer 4k one.

ZFS and Advanced Format disks - illumos - illumos wiki

Last edited:

nubi007

Aug 28, 2017
DE
Hi gea,
thanks a lot !!!
I opt for the power management issue.
For me it was really difficult to research this, because i didn´t know where to look for, since in BSD it worked.
In the evening i will check the sd.conf.

Another question. Because of the error, i also tested Openindiana. (same error)
You recommended Openindiana as default for napp-it, when it came out that OmniOS wasn´t maintained further.
Now with the community edition, i´m puzzled what to use.
Because of my move to Illumos i can choose now.
I would only install the text edition, i don´t need a local GUI.
What would you recommend?

Thanks
Jan

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If Solaris would be free and Oracle would not behave like Oracle (money makes the world go round) I would prefer genuine Solaris, the fastest and most feature rich ZFS.

If you do not need the OI GUI version, I would (and do) stay at OmniOS CE as there is a stable available with several bugfix editions in the meantime and future stables announced.

But beside OmniOS with its release dedicated repositories and backport of bugfixes vs OI with its rolling repository (=current Illumos with many more apps than OmniOS) they are very very similar.

Last edited:

nubi007

Aug 28, 2017
DE
Just want to give a short update.
After configuring the disk for no power management in sd.conf it´s online and working.
However it took some time to figure out the correct device string to get it working. One space character more or less in the device string and it´s not working. Bad for troubleshooting is, that there is no error message, it just doesn´t work.