Dedicated Nas/Plex server for build $0 (Hopefully) FAILED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
Hello all,
So I have been wanting to build a dedicated Nas for a while now. I am currently running Windows 10 vm’s under hyper-v for plex and my NAS. I want to move these to a dedicated machine cause my vm server is a beast and sucks power like champ at idle. I want to reduce this since i only need to really run this machine when i am testing or learning. So I got a free microATX desktop from a job the other day and now it’s on. My gaol for this to spend ZERO dollars by utilizing pieces and parts I already had lying around to do this with minimal modifications to case.

MicroATX Case -Altex special with 250w PSU
Gigabyte h81m-s2pv
Core I3-4150
8gb DDR3 - 1600 ram
4x 4tb Dell enterprise SAS HDD in a RAID10 array- media storage.
LSI 9271-8I HW raid controller.
2x 960gb Sandisk Cloudspeed SSD in a raid1 array- personel storage
120g Samsung 840 evo. For OS
Rosewill 3x5.25 to 4x3.5 hto swap case

OS- Windows 7 pro (may change this but will need to be free)

Disclaimer:
960GB drives were purchased yesterday for another project. I had to put that on hold to do this project and decided they would look better in this machine. So I stole them from myself and that makes them FREE.

Reactions: Cool Runnings

Mike W

Kuntrolphreak
Jun 29, 2018
Suffolk, Va
So i completed the Build and it came out OK. ZERO dollars spent and not a lot of modifications needed. Bit of grinding, cutting and bending back into shape to get the 4 bay case to fit.
Finished it with just 2x2tb hdd and 2x120gb ssd. Running openmediavault on it right now just to test it out but wanted to continue with upgrades and those are going to cost $$$$$.
This forum is going to break me. Current i3 chip supports ECC ram but MOBO does not. Happened to look on the forum tonight and BAM there is the board i need and it is local. Goal was to convert this to a FreeNas box down the road but its gonna happen sooner than later. Post pics later