Dedicated Crypto Mining Open Compute server build.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Well three of the nodes have been running for 8 days, the one that has not was the one I was experimenting on, except number 3 it was not mining when I came home.

Could not log in remotely and the putty window that was logged in had lost connection. It was still powered on and the fans were spinning.

It was not mining from about noon until I reset it.

Looked at the syslog and the last entry before I reset it, at 18:47, was the normal hourly cron entry.

"
Jun 19 09:17:01 node3 CRON[9955]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jun 19 10:17:01 node3 CRON[9961]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jun 19 11:17:01 node3 CRON[9972]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jun 19 12:17:01 node3 CRON[9979]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Jun 19 18:47:24 node3 rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="8.16.0" x-pid="1587" x-info="rsyslog"] start"

No entrys for 6 1/2 hours.

I restarted it and restarted mining and I'll let it run and see if it does it again.

It still uses about 800 mb of ram total, I have not tinkered with the default Ubuntu server configuration at all.

If it does it again I'll swap the ram out to see if that fixes it.

Otherwise they have been solid.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Ok I figured out what I need to do to measure watts on 250v.

I just ordered this:

Digital Programmable Power Energy Consumption Meter Switch Monitor Outlet Socket | eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Pro...427647?hash=item41c85d3bff:g:mg0AAOSw8GtZSIuG
Its rated up to 270v and 1800w.

And its cheap.

It has the standard us plug so I can used a standard pc power cord from one server to the meter.

I can make a short adapter from standard us 3 prong female to a nema 6-20p male plug, I have the male plug already and I can just cut the end off of a extension cord to make an adapter.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
In our house, we have a smart digital electric meter , just like the KillaWatt meter.
In real time, it would display KWH in 3 decimal point , i.e. 1.678 kw/h.
Also it would display KW usage.

If you wait until your family is out of the house, just run the E5 miner, that would give you an idea how much power useage.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
Hey @Klee where did you find the deal on the quanta opencompute nodes? I'm only finding wiwynn's at 200ish plus shipping.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
In our house, we have a smart digital electric meter , just like the KillaWatt meter.
In real time, it would display KWH in 3 decimal point , i.e. 1.678 kw/h.
Also it would display KW usage.

If you wait until your family is out of the house, just run the E5 miner, that would give you an idea how much power useage.
Too much trouble turning off too many devices. Plus the way I will do it will be pretty accurate without having to run outside every time I try something new, and wondering it somthing else is running that I forgot to turn off.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Hey @Klee where did you find the deal on the quanta opencompute nodes? I'm only finding wiwynn's at 200ish plus shipping.
The last time I looked was a about a week ago on ebay and they still had them listed for $149.00 plus shipping.

Looks like they are gone.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I found one disadvantage of running only two gigs of ram per node, If you want to compile nheqminer to tryout zcash cpu mining it chokes on 2 gigs.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Alright I have received my 270v kilowatt meter and will give it a go later tonight and post the results.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee what is the power consumption on those nodes? That is only slightly slower than the dual E5-2628L V4.

I'm just testing one server so for a total i'll just double the readings since they are setup identically.

No cores turned off.
One server plugged in and both nodes powered off: 15w
One node powered on, Ubuntu 17.04 server booted up and idling : 56.5w
One node after 10 minutes mining Monero with 20 threads : 208w @ 868 H/s
Two nodes powered on, Ubuntu 17.04 server booted up and idling : 117w
Two nodes after 10 minutes mining Monero with 40 threads : 401w @ 1736 H/s

So two Open Compute servers running eight E5-2660 V1 cpu's are mining Monero at 3472 H/s using 802 watts.

The efficiency is:
4.33 H/s per watt.
4.00 H/s per 1 Dollar.

I'm sure I could bring the power use down by disabling unused cores but for now its ok.

EDIT: To make things clearer.

Compared to a 6 RX 480 rig at the old GPU prices:

6 gpu's 249.00 each 1495.00
6 risers 50.00
motherboard 75.00
ram 10.00
ssd 40.00
case 75.00
cpu 50.00
power supply 250.00
total 2045.00

~3750 h/s
~1000 w

3.75 h/s per watt
1.83 h/s per dollar

Last edited:

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Power usage is about the same as my Intel 2U 4 nodes ( total 8 x E5-2660) , between 760 to 800w ( when it gets hot ,fan in turbo mode).
I only turn on the space heater when daytime temperature is below 80 degree.
Can't wait for this fall and winter, so I could heat my home with lots of miners.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Also each server mining is using 1.66 amps means I could theoretically run 12 servers before it trips the 20 amp circuit breakers.

I was thinking about getting another two servers and I was worried how close I would be to the 20 amp limit so now I know i'm good to go.

poutnik

Apr 3, 2013
Yes, the efficiency for Monero in your calculation is not so great. But would not it be better to mine ZCash with the graphic cards? then the earning per watt would be a bit better, would not? At least when considering current market situation...

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Yes, the efficiency for Monero in your calculation is not so great. But would not it be better to mine ZCash with the graphic cards? then the earning per watt would be a bit better, would not? At least when considering current market situation...

I am not comparing to Zcash, i'm comparing mining Monero on cpu's vs on mining on Gpu's.

Two Open Compute servers:
4.33 H/s per watt.
4.00 H/s per 1 Dollar.

One 6 x RX 480 Gpu rig:
3.75 h/s per watt
1.83 h/s per dollar

And that's not even taking into account the current prices now on RX 480's and RX 580's IF you can even get them.

If you account for the current prices for used RX 480's then that changes the Gpu rig to 1.20 H/s per dollar, so how can you say " the efficiency for Monero in your calculation is not so great" when its almost four times greater...... 4.0 H/s per dollar vs 1.20 H/s per dollar and about 13 percent better at 4.33 H/s per watt vs 3.75 H/s per watt.

Yes Zcash does much better on Gpu's than cpu's but in the first post I listed the reasons for mining on Open Compute server vs Gpu's , specifically to mine monero, and that is the lack of Gpu's and the prices you have to pay to get them.

I tried for several weeks to get four more RX 480's to build a Monero Gpu rig but could not at any reasonable price so that's why I chose the OC servers.

And I have almost the same performance at less than HALF the price and a little better power usage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick and Gene

Feb 8, 2016
@Klee You are doing us a service in sharing your OC mining experience.

I have thought of selling GPUs for the 2x purchase price they seem to command, and the idea that restrains is they are very easy to market (why sell what is working, are difficult to replace and of course they are doing a job).

The OC servers are harder to market, a barrier (for me) to purchase.

The hash/watt numbers I see are 5.8h/w for the dedicated setups rx480 and rx580, and the worst case 3.2h/w for a workstation with spinning drives, SSDs, 8 DIMMs and a GPU that is not XMR efficient. Gold rated 750w & 850w power supplies @<$100 each.

I calculated your OC server break even at ~230 days.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee You are doing us a service in sharing your OC mining experience.

I have thought of selling GPUs for the 2x purchase price they seem to command, and the idea that restrains is they are very easy to market (why sell what is working, are difficult to replace and of course they are doing a job).

The OC servers are harder to market, a barrier (for me) to purchase.

The hash/watt numbers I see are 5.8h/w for the dedicated setups rx480 and rx580, and the worst case 3.2h/w for a workstation with spinning drives, SSDs, 8 DIMMs and a GPU that is not XMR efficient. Gold rated 750w & 850w power supplies @<$100 each.

I calculated your OC server break even at ~230 days.
Thanks !

I am using my own experience with my RX 480's.

They hashed a 625 H/s after some mods, so six of them is 3750 H/s. I do not remember what the power usage was so I have used an average from what others have posted on line, anywhere from 850w to 1200 w.

Well with new video cards coming out in the next month or two and with the high price on used RX series cards I chose to sell the two I had since I did not want to spend the money for four more at the current prices.

I ended up ordering a GTX 1080 Ti with the money I recieved from the sale of the RX 480's, plus about $25.oo.

I am enjoying these open compute servers, the performance and ease of use is great.

Calculating the break even point is tough with the price of Monero changing so much. I'm happy when ever they pay for themselves since this is really just a hobby.

Last edited:

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Also each server mining is using 1.66 amps means I could theoretically run 12 servers before it trips the 20 amp circuit breakers.

I was thinking about getting another two servers and I was worried how close I would be to the 20 amp limit so now I know i'm good to go.
Careful with that. 80% is the limit for continuous draw from a circuit. 9 systems would be the safe limit.

Reactions: Patrick

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
Careful with that. 80% is the limit for continuous draw from a circuit. 9 systems would be the safe limit.
I'm not even come close to the limits, I might just get two more and I'm not wanting any more than that. I'm just glad I can run four without any problems if I decide to.

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
@Klee let me know if you find a good deal on a couple nodes

For me it is not the electricity but the heat generated. Im going to get or make some water cooling cpu blocks. Ill then bury a loop of pex tubing in the yard and a tank deep enough to be cold. Pump water in tank through pex tubes in yard to keep temp at same as ambient. Hot water goes through copper loop in tank. I can then exhaust almost all the heat into the 60ish degree ground instead of house. My A/c cant handle all that extra heat. In cold months divert to radiator inside.

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
@Klee let me know if you find a good deal on a couple nodes

For me it is not the electricity but the heat generated. Im going to get or make some water cooling cpu blocks. Ill then bury a loop of pex tubing in the yard and a tank deep enough to be cold. Pump water in tank through pex tubes in yard to keep temp at same as ambient. Hot water goes through copper loop in tank. I can then exhaust almost all the heat into the 60ish degree ground instead of house. My A/c cant handle all that extra heat. In cold months divert to radiator inside.
That sounds like a lot of work, I was thinking more along the lines of mounting a exhauster fan through the wall and make some ducts from the server to it.