Decent deal on used 1500VA UPS [2nd Batch]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

samwathegreat

Apr 1, 2020
I got a message from the seller stating that they are unable to accept my offer because they replaced the batteries with new "continental" batteries. I can't even find anything out about these batteries -- does anyone know if they are good?

Anyways, he countered my offer at $90 and said the replacement batteries as well as the shipping is costly.

I take it these are worth it if new batteries are indeed included? Any comments?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Does the HPE Power Protector software have a Web UI that interfaces with the UPS plugged in via USB? I'm assuming you can control/monitor multiple units with a singular installation?

s3ntro

Apr 25, 2016
Does the HPE Power Protector software have a Web UI that interfaces with the UPS plugged in via USB? I'm assuming you can control/monitor multiple units with a singular installation?
Yes, it has a Web UI and also a systray presence (on Windows). Note that it has SMTP email alerting capability but it cannot - as far as I can tell browsing forum posts from 7 years ago - use public SMTP servers. It's built to use an internal one. Perhaps that works for you. It didn't for me, which is why I had to put Postfix on my Raspberry Pi and turn it into an SMTP forwarder to gmail.

The software looks like it can manage multiple units but I only have one.

samwathegreat

Apr 1, 2020
Hi

Question for those of you that got in on the $74 offers: When I made my offer, the seller said that he could no longer accept the offer because he replaced the batteries in the remaining units with continental batteries. He accepted $90/unit and I got 2. They took 2 weeks to even ship out but we can chalk that up to the corona thing I guess....

My units appear a bit more beat up than many on here described - they have scratches and marks from what appears to be many units piled together, scraping against each other. Since many on here described their units as nearly flawless, I wonder if the remaining units have more wear?

Anyways, When I open up the units, they do indeed have continental batteries inside (model CB 1280), but no date code or anything that would suggest how long they had been in there.

So I'm wondering: What kind of batteries were inside the units that some of you picked up for $74? I can't complain if for only $16 more I got units with new batteries (albeit in less-than-stellar aesthetic condition), but I wonder what batteries were in the other units.

I did notice that the connectors on the batteries were quite loose - as if the "poles" on the new batteries were thinner than the originals. The connectors slid off really easily with almost no effort. This seemed potentially dangerous, so I tightened the connectors with some needlenose pliers. They're nice and snug now... I suggest checking yours especially if you got in on one of the later batches like I did.

Any info on what type of batteries you received would be helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: As a follow-up, my research indicates that these units are supposed to have 9AH batteries installed, and not 8AH batteries. Though I imagine that this would simply result in a slightly shorter runtime, I wonder if anything else could be affected? Such as miscalculation of remaining battery life?

How many AH are your batteries?

Last edited:

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I haven't checked, my units aren't flawless but not really that beat up? It's mostly the front bezel that has a lot of scraping on the shiny plastic bit.

One thing that sucks is power protector cannot seem to monitor more than one UPS at a time in the power source...it can detect all 3 UPS but you can only attach one 'node' to a power source. Seems like a pretty big oversight. Granted, I haven't dove into the documentation for the software yet to see if there's some other way around this.

The runtime was indicating 178 minutes fully charged with no load.

Reactions: samwathegreat

samwathegreat

Apr 1, 2020
I haven't checked, my units aren't flawless but not really that beat up? It's mostly the front bezel that has a lot of scraping on the shiny plastic bit.

One thing that sucks is power protector cannot seem to monitor more than one UPS at a time in the power source...it can detect all 3 UPS but you can only attach one 'node' to a power source. Seems like a pretty big oversight. Granted, I haven't dove into the documentation for the software yet to see if there's some other way around this.

The runtime was indicating 178 minutes fully charged with no load.
Thanks, that is helpful.

Are you on linux? If so, nut (network ups tools) has the ability to configure multiple UPSs in a variety of different configurations. With my two units, one is protecting 2 of my servers using nut - one as a master and one as a slave -- so I'm able to safely poweroff both machines using nut with a single UPS. The 2nd UPS is set up in a simple 'standalone' configuration, protecting the 3rd server in my cluster.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Thanks, that is helpful.

Are you on linux? If so, nut (network ups tools) has the ability to configure multiple UPSs in a variety of different configurations. With my two units, one is protecting 2 of my servers using nut - one as a master and one as a slave -- so I'm able to safely poweroff both machines using nut with a single UPS. The 2nd UPS is set up in a simple 'standalone' configuration, protecting the 3rd server in my cluster.
Not specifically for the monitoring, I'm running the software on a domain controller, NUT seems cool and I'll probably play with it eventually but I like graphs/charts and stuff and 'official' software (aka proprietary lol). I downloaded the Eaton IPM software (intelligent power monitoring) and it seems to work much better than HPE, it automatically detects and configures each UPS for monitoring and shows each individually with all of their stats. To me this indicates that it could be possible in HPE but they don't make it obvious and the manual didn't make any mention of monitoring "additional outlets" as it puts it. Maybe if Patriot reads this thread he'll chime in but I'm happy with the Eaton software.

vkfu

Dec 7, 2017
The seller accepted my $90 offer and I received my unit yesterday. Cosmetically it is in good shape with few scratches. It is louder than I expected and indeed the fan runs continuously even when the batteries are fully charged. I was originally planning to place it in my office but I think it will go into the basement as a backup for the FIOS ONT.