Decent deal on used 1500VA UPS [2nd Batch]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bburg

Jun 21, 2017
Mine shipped on the 6th as well and tracking says it's out for delivery.

Update: Delivered

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
Out of curiosity just called the seller their phone is on their website. Very nice folks. As I've guested - there was a typo in the tracking number and should expect to get it today. Will update later

Reactions: gb00s

bburg

Jun 21, 2017
Just opened it, the condition is very good, a few minor scratches. I haven't tested the battery life yet, but right now the battery capacity is at 91% and charging with 0% load and the fan is about as loud as my R720. It should be fine in my closet, but if I were using at my desk I would be looking into quieting it. I'll update later if the fan stops once it's charged.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Well it seems that my friend just got unlucky. He contacted the seller which provided him with a new tracking number. According to the new number his unit has been picked up by Fedex today (6 days after the order was placed).

VogonPogo

Apr 7, 2019
Received mine today.
Thought at first it wasn't working. Found that the battery connector under the front panel was disconnected.
Now it's charging. Fan would be too noisy for my taste for it to be in the same room with me.

Support files are here:
Product Information Pages

Mine came with the latest firmware that HP seems to offer: V 01.02.0003

Connected it to a Windows VM and the USB connection was named 'MGE UPS Eaton 5SC'

Edit to add:
Charged it fully overnight. Battery meter in HPE Power Protector steady at 97%, wouldn't go higher.
Power consumption when fully charged and idle: ~21W

Connected a resistive load of ~560W and got ~10min of runtime out of it.
Spec shows ~13min
HPE Single Phase Tower Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS)

Good enough for me.

Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Same experience as @VogonPogo. I had to reconnect the battery to be fully operational. few light scuffs. The fan is audible but would be unnoticeable next to my 6610 10g switch

s3ntro

Apr 25, 2016
I got mine yesterday. Fully charged but came with batteries unhooked in the front (as it's supposed to!). Plugged it in, fan sped up, got everything plugged into it (two headless PCs, a PoE switch and a Raspberry Pi totaling ~197w of consistent load), cut the power and it said 35 minutes of runtime. I couldn't be happier.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Generic Fresh batteries for this model run about $60 shipped. $99 with used will take offers as low as $74 (it was my bid) for a single unit (or less for multiple)
You do the math - you'd also have no way of knowing for sure if these batteries are fresh indeed.
So far all members who commented got their utils from your first link seller fully functional...

croakz

Nov 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
FYI, just got two and got this response from my Best Offer ($95 counter):

"I am now installing Brand new batteries in the last 50 units I have for sale and it will be worth it to pay more for these."

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
FYI, just got two and got this response from my Best Offer ($95 counter):

"I am now installing Brand new batteries in the last 50 units I have for sale and it will be worth it to pay more for these."
Interesting but the seller should update the listing, since item description/condition is crucial for possible disputes
It currently says:
"They will ship with existing batteries with a 30 day replacement warranty. They are guaranteed to arrive working.”

Reactions: StevenDTX

samwathegreat

Apr 1, 2020
Has anyone else made a recent offer on one of these? The listing still states that they come with existing batteries and nothing about new ones. I'm fine with original batteries if I can get 2 of them close to OPs offer price. As previously stated, I may be willing to go higher for new batteries, but the seller would need to revise listing as such.

Any experiences anyone would like to share? It looks like this (assuming it is indeed an Eaton rebrand) is fully supported by NUT (Network UPS Tools), so it should be simple to integrate with my existing proxmox nodes for graceful shutdown. I'd love to hear success stories.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Has anyone else made a recent offer on one of these? The listing still states that they come with existing batteries and nothing about new ones. I'm fine with original batteries if I can get 2 of them close to OPs offer price. As previously stated, I may be willing to go higher for new batteries, but the seller would need to revise listing as such.

Any experiences anyone would like to share? It looks like this (assuming it is indeed an Eaton rebrand) is fully supported by NUT (Network UPS Tools), so it should be simple to integrate with my existing proxmox nodes for graceful shutdown. I'd love to hear success stories.
I don't have much to add, unfortunately. Are these really Eaton 5SC? Well, they look, function and smell like Eaton 5SC and they also recognized by windows as Eaton 5SC. So far everyone who ordered got their units and they are fully functional.
As far as getting in touch with the seller - In my experience, he did piss poor job replying to eBay messages BUT I was able to speak with a human after doing a bit of sleuthing and he was quite nice. Granted, the business is possibly closed now (due to COVID) and keep in mind their address is a tiny office in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere Texas.
As for graceful shutdown - I had no problem integrating it with my Freenas UPS service. Sorry, don't use NUT - it seems too much work for now. This unit solved an issue for me of not having enough ups load available and in last power out this UPS held power long enough (about 30 seconds) for my backup genny to kick in.

Last edited:
Reactions: samwathegreat

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Received mine today.
Thought at first it wasn't working. Found that the battery connector under the front panel was disconnected.
Now it's charging. Fan would be too noisy for my taste for it to be in the same room with me.

Support files are here:
Product Information Pages

Mine came with the latest firmware that HP seems to offer: V 01.02.0003

Connected it to a Windows VM and the USB connection was named 'MGE UPS Eaton 5SC'

Edit to add:
Charged it fully overnight. Battery meter in HPE Power Protector steady at 97%, wouldn't go higher.
Power consumption when fully charged and idle: ~21W

Connected a resistive load of ~560W and got ~10min of runtime out of it.
Spec shows ~13min
HPE Single Phase Tower Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS)

Good enough for me.
Latest version actually looks to be 01.06.0005?