Decent deal on used 1500VA UPS [2nd Batch]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
I have APC SUA750 at home which is running out of juice to power all of my homelab (had to bypass few things for now). Was looking for a replacement to be good, cheap and with more power.
After a search I found these guys:
Used / Tested HP1500 G4 Hewlett Packard UPS 1500VA UPS | eBay
These are rebranded Eaton 5SC units. While the battery conditions are questionable, they are included, so it may last a few months/years. At 1500VA and Sine output on battery, I think $85 is a good deal, $74 offer which seller accepted is even better one :) Free shipping (This is the crazy part for 40lbs ups)
HP Specs here: HPE Single Phase Tower Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS)

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Something to keep in mind is the fan noise. I looked at these a while back but there were too many complaints about them being loud. From what I read the fan is on at all times.

EDIT: HP QuickSpecs show "Audible Noise <40dB in normal operation. <45dB while on inverter"

Riley

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Something to keep in mind is the fan noise. I looked at these a while back but there were too many complaints about them being loud. From what I read the fan is on at all times.

EDIT: HP QuickSpecs show "Audible Noise <40dB in normal operation. <45dB while on inverter"

Riley
Generally speaking around 32db is practically silent, so under 40db should be very very quiet in most normal rooms near working pc. But if you have a fully silent PC, it may be audible.
In my case, I doubt if I will hear it next to 65db+ Brocade 6610 sitting in my basement :)

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Last edited:

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Nice find @BeTeP
new 3x generic 12v 9AH SLA batteries cost around $60 so, $74(+$60 later) still sound like a good deal to me

Reactions: lambda

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
If these are really rebranded Eaton 5SCs then this is a really good price.

I picked up a 5SC1000 NOS at $160 shipped last year and thought that was a decent price.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
If these are really rebranded Eaton 5SCs then this is a really good price.

I picked up a 5SC1000 NOS at $160 shipped last year and thought that was a decent price.
They are clearly rebranded Eatons. 5S(something) looks to be the closest match visually. 5S isn't Sine, 5SC is. HP T1500 documentation says that T1500 is a sine wave model. Thus I have to concur it's rebranded 5SC1500

Last edited:

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
While I like HPE Power Protector much better than let's say APC Powerchute - I still prefer open source and vendor neutral solutions if possible.
But my main point was that adding network interface to a device managed via USB/serial is very inexpensive and should not be a deal breaker.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
I think the vendor must have got them for free or nearly so.
The shipping alone would be around $40. $67-shipping=aint much meat left on the bone...

bubsterboo

Dec 15, 2019
Does anyone know if this UPS can display the current load? In watts? And is that information available over serial/usb?
I use to use leverage my previous ups as a power consumption meter with my equipment.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
Does anyone know if this UPS can display the current load? In watts? And is that information available over serial/usb?
I use to use leverage my previous ups as a power consumption meter with my equipment.
The manual seems to imply that's the case, but I will know for sure next week. This model doesn't offer outlet measurements or control though. You'd have to step up to 5P or 5X series or their equivalents.

s3ntro

Apr 25, 2016
I have APC SUA750 at home which is running out of juice to power all of my homelab (had to bypass few things for now). Was looking for a replacement to be good, cheap and with more power.
After a search I found these guys:
Used / Tested HP1500 G4 Hewlett Packard UPS 1500VA UPS | eBay
These are rebranded Eaton 5SC units. While the battery conditions are questionable, they are included, so it may last a few months/years. At 1500VA and Sine output on battery, I think $85 is a good deal, $74 offer which seller accepted is even better one :) Free shipping (This is the crazy part for 40lbs ups)
HP Specs here: HPE Single Phase Tower Uninterruptible Power Systems (UPS)
I was looking for UPSs and this came along at the right time. Thank you!

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
I think the vendor must have got them for free or nearly so.
The shipping alone would be around $40. $67-shipping=aint much meat left on the bone...
I also thought that it was a borderline "too good to be true" kind of deal. I mostly buy rack mounted models so I passed on this one. But I mentioned the deal to a colleague of mine and he ordered one on Wednesday. Today he told me that his unit has not been shipped yet.

Has anyone received theirs?

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
I'm not able to get an offer through...there are so many offers that I imagine mine is just getting missed.

BoredSysadmin

Mar 2, 2019
@BeTeP Well, The seller does have spotless and decent sized feedback. My UPS was marked as shipped, but a bit worryingly the tracking number seems to be inaccurate - IE Fedex has no such number in their system. I hope it's a simple case of a typo... :(

rik3k

Feb 16, 2020
Mine shipped on the 6th and is in transit right now. Everything looking fine so far. I'm in Canada as well and additional cost was about 30USD for shipping and duty.