Decent (cheap) X8DTE-F memory source.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
I finally bought a X8DTE-F for my storage server and will chuck in a couple of L5630s.

I am looking to throw in 6 sticks of 4GB ram and am looking for advice on what works and if there are any good deals people have noticed. Criuial and Kingston listed compatible mem is not so cheap on EBay and I have not seen any searches on compatible mem on the Hynix or Samsung sites (both brands seem to be plentiful and fairly cheap if certain model numbers would work).

An obvious choice would be C6100 compatible ram ?.

Thanks

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
RDIMM 4GB are cheap... you just need to look more often ;) and regularly to score a "real" deal like you see us talking about here often.

Even if you didn't negotiate better deals they still go for $11-13$ "asking price" regularly, which likely is cheap enough to snag 6 for you to get going :)

I haven't had any RAM my SM board's don't like. MICRON, CRUCIAL, SAMSUNG, HYNIX.

If you plan to load it up keep an eye out for 4R vs 2R DIMMS but unless yu're gonna max it out it's less a concern.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
What about 8gb or 16gb dimms? I have a t7500 I'd love to add memory too but can never seem to find the memory for an attractive price when buying 6 at a time(two cpu's times 3 channels)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
BUT!!
AND It's a BIG BUT!!

You have to spend some time "finding" and "negotiating" deals.

There's been a lot posted here too recently. (Great Deals)

I think there's a minor misconception on the forums that people believe a number of us posting "good deals" that we're finding them easy, fast, and routinely... this is NOT the case. It requires time, effort, and knowing what you're looking for and sometimes not knowing :) In the end, the deals we share, the stories we tell, etc... normally are the DEALS. We're not sharing the 20,000$ we just spent on normal priced stuff or the $5 we saved buying XYZ... don't become too illusioned that everyone gets $120 E5 CPUs or $5 RAM as it's simply not the case, and very rarely is.

Another thing to consider... with ~100k$ in parts in the last 6 months I've been looking at a steady 8-10% failure rate. That's a shit load of bad parts when most items are under $1k, and even more under $500. You're not hearing (too much) about the shipping problems, returns, bad sellers, etc... although I try to share my experiences ;) to help others learn who to buy from and who not too. I also try to help people buying from me not waste $ on shit they don't need or shouldn't use...

"Deals" and "Steals" are NOT the norm.

Anyway thought this could be helpful to some :)

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks, very helpful.

Unlikely to load it up fully as it is only a home SAN.

Just put in an offer for 6 sticks.

Seems a lot of the sellers are playing the postage game with cheap prices and then high shipping costs. Quite a few are charging $45 to ship to me here in Singapore apart from the odd seller charging $18 but with higher BIN price....

Oh well. the offer, if accepted, will take them to 15/stick inc shipping.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Thanks, very helpful.

Unlikely to load it up fully as it is only a home SAN.

Just put in an offer for 6 sticks.

Seems a lot of the sellers are playing the postage game with cheap prices and then high shipping costs. Quite a few are charging $45 to ship to me here in Singapore apart from the odd seller charging $18 but with higher BIN price....

Oh well. the offer, if accepted, will take them to 15/stick inc shipping.
Good luck, it takes a lot of offers and sometimes "chat" to get what you want.

I don't believe Ebay works like this anymore so I doubt they're paying the postage game unless it's for marketing purposes... to be listed "lower". At-least, for me, last time I went to sell the final value fee was calculated WITH shipping, not excluding like it was back in the day of 99 cent items with 100 shipping :)

Signapore would be ~$18 then jump to ~$30-45$ as well as Japan... it's just different carriers and/or weight (both cause drastic jumps) and ironically it always seems to be $18-20 to $30-45 no matter the vendor, the carrier price jump is nearly always the same (I'm assuming based on their discuont rate is the variance.)).

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Maybe but it does seem strange that one seller is offering for $120 + $80 shipping and someone else is offering for $180 + $20 shipping. This is not a one off either and it is usually the big sellers. Price + Shipping seems to come in around the same price whichever side they put the cost on.

Offer was rejected and they cam back with a $2.50 reduction. To be fair they are the cheapest I have seen yet but a fair bit. Countered so we shall see. Luckily whilst shipping for the first item is $18, subsequent items are only $2 on top.

I predict my wife will not be having a 'smiley face' at the end of this ;)

Ohh, Ebay can be so addictive.

Reactions: T_Minus

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
BUT!!
AND It's a BIG BUT!!

You have to spend some time "finding" and "negotiating" deals.

There's been a lot posted here too recently. (Great Deals)

I think there's a minor misconception on the forums that people believe a number of us posting "good deals" that we're finding them easy, fast, and routinely... this is NOT the case. It requires time, effort, and knowing what you're looking for and sometimes not knowing :) In the end, the deals we share, the stories we tell, etc... normally are the DEALS. We're not sharing the 20,000$ we just spent on normal priced stuff or the $5 we saved buying XYZ... don't become too illusioned that everyone gets $120 E5 CPUs or $5 RAM as it's simply not the case, and very rarely is.

Another thing to consider... with ~100k$ in parts in the last 6 months I've been looking at a steady 8-10% failure rate. That's a shit load of bad parts when most items are under $1k, and even more under $500. You're not hearing (too much) about the shipping problems, returns, bad sellers, etc... although I try to share my experiences ;) to help others learn who to buy from and who not too. I also try to help people buying from me not waste $ on shit they don't need or shouldn't use...

"Deals" and "Steals" are NOT the norm.

Anyway thought this could be helpful to some :)
Epic answer here!