Debugging Intel dual gigabit NIC I340-T2 - CentOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014

Hey folks,

I have a Intel 82580EB I340-T2 that I'm trying to get working. I'm having some issues trying to get the adapter to initialize. I'm new to working with NICs and don't know how to debug this. I was able to pull the last screenshot when I tried to upgrade the firmware on the NIC. The first 2 ports are the onboard NICs.

Any ideas where I should start?

Motherboard: X8ST3-F

Thanks!
Alfa

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
This is odd. I rebooted the server and now I have 4 NICs online but it still shows 2 ports as "Cannot initialize adapter"

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
What version of CentOS?

That is a really common adapter right and pretty old. I thought it had kernel level inclusion?

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
What version of CentOS?

That is a really common adapter right and pretty old. I thought it had kernel level inclusion?
I just downloaded CentOS 7 and installed it. Also any idea why the devices have such odd names? I was expecting en0, en1, etc...

Last edited:

IaaS

Feb 15, 2015
The first 2 ports are the onboard NICs.
I think those first two NICs are actually the dedicated Intel NIC based on the MAC addresses (00:1b:21) and the ones that show an init error are the on-board Intel NICs with Supermicro MACs (00:25:90). That error is likely just indicating that the firmware update utility isn't compatible with the on-board Intel 82574L-based NICs.

Alfa147x

Feb 7, 2014
I think those first two NICs are actually the dedicated Intel NIC based on the MAC addresses (00:1b:21) and the ones that show an init error are the on-board Intel NICs with Supermicro MACs (00:25:90). That error is likely just indicating that the firmware update utility isn't compatible with the on-board Intel 82574L-based NICs.
Ohh that makes more sense. Thanks. Trying to mess around with OpenStack.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
I just downloaded CentOS 7 and installed it. Also any idea why the devices have such odd names? I was expecting en0, en1, etc...
Everything is slowly switching over to using persistent/predictable device names. More info about it in relation to networking is here: PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames

Some distributions take longer to integrate changes like this than others, but it'll show up everywhere eventually. Also fun to get used to in CentOS 7 (or other RHEL7 clone) is that the legacy user-space tools for working with networking are finally not installed by default, no more 'ifconfig' command, now you do everything with 'ip' (ifconfig has been obsolete for quite a few years now, though it can still be installed if you need it)

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
Also fun to get used to in CentOS 7 (or other RHEL7 clone) is that the legacy user-space tools for working with networking are finally not installed by default, no more 'ifconfig' command, now you do everything with 'ip' (ifconfig has been obsolete for quite a few years now, though it can still be installed if you need it)
"Fun" is an interesting way to put it. Just need to check an IP? "ip addr". Need to up/down an adapter? "nmcli device connect eno16780032" instead of "ifup eth0". Want to verify DNS is working? nslookup doesn't exist anymore, so use "getent hosts <hostname>". "Shutdown" has become "Poweroff". "Chkconfig <service> on" has become "systemctl enable <servicename>.service". Netstat's gone, partially replaced by "ip route show". Want to change the device name to something easier to remember? Good luck. None of the official methods have worked for me so far. Want to change something via a config file? Hahahahahaha... No. We don't do things like that anymore. Need to found out what ports have an established connection? Want to enable promiscuous mode? Sucks to be you! Linux is getting Solaris syndrome, and as a SysAdmin...

We hates it, we do. Thank goodness you can (for now) install the old net-tools. Once they take that out...

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Wow I had not known so many changes had happened to *nix recently! Shame! I'll take good ole *BSD it has maintained itself over the variants (Freebsd,Mach OSX,netbsd)

Reactions: TangoWhiskey9

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
"Fun" is an interesting way to put it. Just need to check an IP? "ip addr". Need to up/down an adapter? "nmcli device connect eno16780032" instead of "ifup eth0". Want to verify DNS is working? nslookup doesn't exist anymore, so use "getent hosts <hostname>". "Shutdown" has become "Poweroff". "Chkconfig <service> on" has become "systemctl enable <servicename>.service". Netstat's gone, partially replaced by "ip route show". Want to change the device name to something easier to remember? Good luck. None of the official methods have worked for me so far. Want to change something via a config file? Hahahahahaha... No. We don't do things like that anymore. Need to found out what ports have an established connection? Want to enable promiscuous mode? Sucks to be you! Linux is getting Solaris syndrome, and as a SysAdmin...

We hates it, we do. Thank goodness you can (for now) install the old net-tools. Once they take that out...
Many of those changes have nothing to do with dropping the old network user-space tools, but instead are due to the switch to systemd. There are a lot of changes in the day to day commands you need between RHEL6 and RHEL7 (and clones), but since I also have to administer some Debian boxes, some Ubuntu, a bit of Gentoo at home, and have Fedora on my desktop (which made many of the RHEL6->7 changes a few versions ago) I'm already used to knowing a few ways to do things. Just with those few distro's I'm already dealing with 4 different init systems (classic sys-v-init, upstart, systemd, and open-rc).