Deals/FS/WTB new members should not be able to post new threads

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
New members should only be able to post in offtopic and ask questions. Many people here have email alerts on those two subforums watching the deals.
I think when i posted my first it went to moderation approval, yet it wasn't even in deals/wtb forums just a question. I may be wrong though idr but many other forums moderate first posts. I disagree with that policy in general but it's absolutely necessary in deals forums.

Reactions: ari2asem

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
i agree with you.

but....what is the definition of new memeber ??

the number of posts ??

how long is the membership ?? with or without posts ??

and what kind of posts ?? crappy and bulls*it posts ?? or any valueable post ??

once again, i agree with you.

but...this is going to be difficult

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
It's simple, registered today, zero messages. First message is a spam. These are just bots that register and post instantly. It's easy to block them.

Reactions: Rock

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Most of the spam I see isn't in the form of new threads but replies to very old ones with certain keywords (say, air conditioning). They put in some generic message relating to the topic, but then edit their post a few days later to add URLs so that it's harder to notice. Have reported more of those than I can count.

kapone

May 23, 2015
There's a simple answer... There's more to life than STH. :)

Get a hobby (other than STH).

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
There are a couple of systems to try and limit spam, if it gets through those its up to mods to handle.
Thankfully most of the community is good at tagging potential spam for us to annihilate with glee.