Deal? - Engineering Sample Intel 200GB s3710, Best Offer accepted at $90

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The biggest issue, we all know now is no firmware updates :(

canta

Nov 26, 2014
The biggest issue, we all know now is no firmware updates :(
my concern is still buggy firmware :D, plus now way to update the firmware since unique.
I know on my past works, Intel provided hardware (ES) with warning " Engineering sample is bla2.." that basically for testing and development only

helsyeah

Aug 22, 2015
I received my drive yesterday. It's a HP branded ES with FW 4IWTHP09 on it.

My google-fu turned up nothing on that FW, or, for that matter, anything on the particular HP partnumber (804638-001).

Also, it appears that HP is pointing people to using the Intel SSD tools in order to do FW updates and such, which, no matter which version used, reports that firmware is up-to-date.

I'll be doing some testing of the drive later today/tomorrow and see where it stacks up and see what else I can find out (like when it was Mfg'd and such).

Reactions: dreamct

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Guess what...if it works w/in intended/expected perf threshold and it currently reports FW current (no newer FW) I personally am probably fine leaving it alone for the life of the drive to tell ya the truth...that is unless a nasty bug w/in firmware manifests itself down the road but intel has a pretty good track record of solid ssd firmware and excellent controllers so I doubt I will ever encounter any nasty issues (knocks on wood desk next to me).

YMMV and comfort levels will vary of course. A proper BC/DR runbook/plan of action and sufficient sets of VALIDATED backups (replication jobs between arrays and to offsite even better)...TEST TEST TEST...cannot stress this enough instead of just trusting that your backups/DR plans work. Set a well-defined DR runbook interval (bi-annually/annually) per your BIA of the server/service that your business relies upon...know your RTO/RPO's...if this is a lab just have fun but protect your precious data accordingly.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :-D

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus