[DEAD] WD reds 4/8TB $90/$200 via shucking - update, 8TB reds now $180, 4TB deal looks dead.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

orson

Feb 4, 2013
Hi.

No. According to information on the internet it is extremely fast drive with conventional magnetic writing.

marv

Apr 2, 2015
in tweakdown review is photo of
ST8000DM004 5400 rpm BarraCuda

That according to datasheet is 4platter drive and recording method is TGMR. Which sounds a lot like SMR drive. Found reddit thread about it and people in there wrote that its behavior is a lot better than 8TB archival drive.

Anyway, I snatched 3 pieces from amazon.de. Not as good price as in bestbuy but at least with free shipping :D

edit: I cancelled my order. decided I dont want SMR drives

Last edited:

Kneelbeforezod

Sep 4, 2015
Bought online and Super easy to pick them up today. Wasn't that busy or at least as busy as i though. Went around 12 pm or so after leftovers obviously. Doorbuster TVs were gone obviously but i expected more of a crowd. If you see the image it's just the 2 i got. I see when i post and edit but doesn't seem to show when i save the post.

Last edited:

orson

Feb 4, 2013
in tweakdown review is photo of
ST8000DM004 5400 rpm BarraCuda

That according to datasheet is 4platter drive and recording method is TGMR. Which sounds a lot like SMR drive. Found reddit thread about it and people in there wrote that its behavior is a lot better than 8TB archival drive.

Anyway, I snatched 3 pieces from amazon.de. Not as good price as in bestbuy but at least with free shipping :D

edit: I cancelled my order. decided I dont want SMR drives
I will unpack one and try to see/benchmark/investigate without removing it from enclosure. I can always return them.
Note that TGMR is also used in IronWolf NAS series: http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/ironwolf/en-us/docs/100807039b.pdf on page 7.

So TGMR does not mean that drive is SMR or not. But on the other hand sustained writes at 160MB/s (from TweakTown review) suggest that it might use perpendicular recording.

Lord Raven

Nov 23, 2017
I also bought two WDBCKA0040HBK-NENS with the help of a friend, paid 349.58$ with tax. Shipping on 5th, then my friend will deliver these to me. I seriously hope they are Reds.

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Newegg has the HGST drive this is based on for $209 on Cyber Monday sale. For those who didn't get in at BB this is a good option as the warranty will be intact.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
The $150 deal should be the EFAX drive instead of the EMAZ drive too

"-NEBB are the less desireable EMAZ “white label”drives with the 3.3v issues. Those were the BF $130 ones. These are -NESN ones. They use more desireable EFAX Red Label (1/2 label) drives from Thailand with 256MB cache."